Menu

Stuck in a catch-22, ideas please

I've been an EMT for a while now, but that's it, I'm just a certified EMT. I can't work or volunteer anywhere because I don't have EVOC (emergency vehicles operation certification).

There is a class next month that is not local. It's 8 hours each on Sat and Sun and 3 hours away. I would have to stay at a hotel near the class because the cost of driving back and forth is not worth it.

My father would watch the kids. Ds said NO very firmly to my father babysitting for an entire weekend while I'm away. I doubt my father would actually hurt ds, but he is pretty mean to him. He's certainly not my first choice for babysitting, but is my only and I need to take this class.

There is also a local class next month, but you have to have your own ambulance (from the company you're with). I can't get into a company for work or volunteer without EVOC, but need to be with a company to get EVOC. :glare:

Would you deal with the possible fall out of my father watching both kids? Is there an option I'm missing?

Do they have friends they could star with for the weekend? Do you have someone you trust as a babysitter to stay with them? Could you take a babysitter with you to watch the kida in the hotel?

There are people I would not leave my son with because I don't know what they would say to him. If my kids did not want to say with someone because they were mean, I would not leave them.

DO you have any friends that could take the kids for the weekend?

This might be a last ditch effort but in our area Bethany Christian Services provides "foster" homes for kids that are VOLUNTARILY placed by their parents for 1-14 days. The courts/state are NOT involved but the families are licensed and screened. They take kids so parents can deal with medical emergencies, housing/job issues, etc.

If you have a Bethany Christian services near you you might be able to call and see if that is an option. You could then meet a family and have your kids stay there for the 2 days and then pick them back up. You can have contact with the kids all along as well.

How specifically is he mean to ds? You say he would never hurt him, so I am wondering what sort of mean he is. Like just crabby old man mean, or hurling insults left and right?

My ds doesn't like gramma babysitting him because she won't put up with his carp and will yell at him if he tries. SO that could be seen as mean kwim. I do not let my kids determine who watches them. If taking this course means you will be able to get a job and better support your kids than you do whatever the heck is necessary to go. And if his "meanness" is simply raising his voice and not putting up with ds pulling carp than let him babysit. If his meanness is calling ds names, or other verbally inappropriate behaviours than find a neighbor, friend, specialty respite care etc.

No matter hwo watches them it is only 2 days and can make or break your chance to support your family properly. Depending on what is being called mean would determine if I left my kids or not.

My father's behavior varies. He will tickle or wrestle and doesn't stop when ds asks him to, which makes ds take more action (licking or spitting) which of course gets my father mad. He'll put ds down, call him a mama's boy, and antagonizes him. My father takes dd's side of things 100% of the time, so ds gets in trouble for reacting to dd's antagonizing. He does "swat" him sometimes (if I've walked out of the room, etc.).

I can't leave ds with him now that I've typed it out. Maybe I could find someone for ds. Dd would be fine with my father and my father with her.

The class is my only chance at working in this field, but it's not like I can run out tomorrow and work full time.

Does ds have a friend he could stay with for the weekend? If you explained to the parents why you needed to be gone? I wouldn't leave him with your father either.

My father's behavior varies. He will tickle or wrestle and doesn't stop when ds asks him to, which makes ds take more action (licking or spitting) which of course gets my father mad. He'll put ds down, call him a mama's boy, and antagonizes him. My father takes dd's side of things 100% of the time, so ds gets in trouble for reacting to dd's antagonizing. He does "swat" him sometimes (if I've walked out of the room, etc.).

I can't leave ds with him now that I've typed it out. Maybe I could find someone for ds. Dd would be fine with my father and my father with her.

The class is my only chance at working in this field, but it's not like I can run out tomorrow and work full time.

Ds's father could watch them, but he's extremely unreliable. I don't want to pay for the class and then be out the money and spot when he doesn't show. I'll try talking to him. The class is held every other month, so I may be able to work it.

Any friends I have are out of state, but I will start making some more calls.

You can buy Good Nights for the bedwetting. Honestly, most mothers of young boys would understand the bedwetting and not make a big deal about it at all.

If we were close, we would could take him for the weekend.

:D

Sadly, I would trust someone I met online more than my father!

Ds has a big supply of diapers. I think it's more fear but he uses the diapers as his go-to excuse. He's never slept out at anyone's house, including his father, since he was 18 months old.

He would be fine with someone staying here, even a stranger (which worries me a bit!). He just will not stay out.