Menu

Recipes for chicken drumsticks?

I bought a big package of chicken drumsticks because they are cheaper, but I've never really cooked with them before.

Would you mind sharing your favorite recipes? I'm cooking them tonight and don't really know what to do with them because they are so greasy.

Here's my favorite...just ate it last night. No FLAMES! ;)

Melt 1/2 C butter (I use Country Crock margarine) and pour into 9x13 dish.

Roll the chicken in the butter/margarine to coat.

Sprinkle liberally with garlic powder, onion powder, celery salt, pepper, salt, parsley. Bake at 350 for one hour.

At the 30 min. mark, start a pot of rice, 1 1/2 C dry. This should finish about the same time as the meat.

When the chicken timer goes off, remove chicken from the dish and add the rice, mixing all of the juices to coat the rice.

Place chicken back in pan, bare side up.

Sprinkle with spices again and add 1/2 C shredded Parmesan cheese.

Bake 30 minutes more. SUPER TASTY!!!

I bought a big package of chicken drumsticks because they are cheaper, but I've never really cooked with them before.

Would you mind sharing your favorite recipes? I'm cooking them tonight and don't really know what to do with them because they are so greasy.

We grill them if my husband is home early enough. If he's not, I bake in a pan (be sure to keep them separated so the skin crisps up) I drizzle a little olive oil and sprinkled with Badia Fajita Seasoning or a bottled McCormick mixed seasoning. I'm not above spice blends to save time lol I cook at 425 for 10 minutes and then drop down to 350 for the rest of the baking time.

I like this one:

http://busycooks.about.com/od/chickenrecipe1/r/stickydrumstick.htm

Although, I don't usually do it in the crockpot, I have. I use the recipe and then grill them. Yum! I've also used the spice mixture on a whole chicken for the crockpot and also on pork. Very yummy.

The kids like when I make bbq sauce and pour over chicken legs in the crockpot (4 hours). They'd much prefer if I'd buy the drumsticks over the breasts.

Moroccan Chicken

8 chicken drumsticks

1 can (8 oz.) pineapple tidbits or chunks, undrained

1 large onion,ll chopped

2 cloves garlic, finely chopped

2 T. lemon juice

1 tsp. salt

1 tsp. dried marjoram (optional)

3/4 tsp. crushed red pepper

1/4 tsp. ground turmeric

1 T. cornstarch

1 T. cold water

1/4 cup pimiento-stuffed olives

1 T. chopped fresh parsley (optional: used dried parsley)

1. Place chicken in slow cooker. Mix pineapple, onion, garlic, lemon juice, salt, marjoram, red pepper and turmeric; pour over chicken.

2. Cover and cook on low to medium heat setting 4 to 5 hours or until chicken is completely cooked. Remove chicken from cooker. (Keep it warm.)

3. Remove fat from sauce. Mix cornstarch and water; stir into sauce.

4. Cover and cook on high heat setting about 15 minutes, or until thickened. Stir in olives.

5. Place chicken with either rice or couscous on each place. Pour sauce over it, and sprinkle with parsley.

I like this one:

http://busycooks.about.com/od/chickenrecipe1/r/stickydrumstick.htm

Although, I don't usually do it in the crockpot, I have. I use the recipe and then grill them. Yum! I've also used the spice mixture on a whole chicken for the crockpot and also on pork. Very yummy.

I think I'll do this in the oven for todays. I have all of the ingredients and there's no dairy.

If I put chicken in my crockpot for 10 hours, I'd have chicken jerkey!!!

I'll consider everyone else's recipes for another day because I have lots of these in the freezer. Thanks!

The recipe below is a teriyaki-like glaze for chicken drumsticks or thighs...not chicken breast pieces, which tend to turn out drier.

It's a real crowd pleaser.

Cranberry Chicken

1 can cranberry sauce (whole berry or regular)

1/2 cup soy sauce

1/2 cup brown sugar

2 tsp dry mustard

2 tsp ground ginger

1/4 tsp garlic powder OR 2 cloves, crushed

4 Tbsp lemon juice

Heat in saucepan until smooth, stirring occasionally

Place chicken in a pan large enough to leave space between the pieces. Pour sauce over chicken and bake at 350 for 1 hour, or until done. Turn chicken and spoon sauce liberally over pieces during baking, to promote glazing. Serve with jasmine rice.

Edited by Geo

Easy recipe - works in crockpot or bake in oven

1 bottle Catalina Dressing

1 pkg dry Onion-flavor Soup Mix

1 small jar (8-10oz) of Apple Jelly (other fruit jellies work fine too)

Mix together. Put drumsticks in pan and pour mixture over top. Bake in oven or in crockpot on low until done.

Yummmmmy!

I like this recipe for drumsticks:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/saras-secrets/oven-fried-chicken-thats-as-good-as-fried-recipe/index.html

It calls for drumsticks and thighs, but I have made it with just drumsticks. It is a bit of a pain to remove the skins, but that helps cut down the greasiness--I find that using scissors makes it a bit easier for me.

Toss then in the crock pot. Season generously with s&p and a dry herb like rosemary or thyme. Toss in at least onehandful of peeled garlic cloves (or more). Cook on low 5-6 hours.

If you want the finished product to be prettier you can brown the ckicken in a skillet before you toss it in the crock.

Serve alongside pasta, rice, or potoatoes (we like this on top of mashed potatoes) or debone and use in your favorite recipes.

• 4 weeks later...

I am so sorry to resurrect an older thread but I had to say THANK YOU for the below recipe!

I made this last night and DH just finished off the leftovers for lunch. He has proclaimed it the best thing I have ever cooked. :confused: I'm not sure if I should be proud of this, after almost 11 years of marriage! :lol:

I did not have any because I'm not a butter fan and I felt kind of guilty about using a WHOLE stick of butter on this dish. It probably all equals out with the number of servings, though. Anyway, the whole family loved it and thank you for sharing it with the Hive.:D

Here's my favorite...just ate it last night. No FLAMES! ;)

Melt 1/2 C butter (I use Country Crock margarine) and pour into 9x13 dish.

Roll the chicken in the butter/margarine to coat.

Sprinkle liberally with garlic powder, onion powder, celery salt, pepper, salt, parsley. Bake at 350 for one hour.

At the 30 min. mark, start a pot of rice, 1 1/2 C dry. This should finish about the same time as the meat.

When the chicken timer goes off, remove chicken from the dish and add the rice, mixing all of the juices to coat the rice.

Place chicken back in pan, bare side up.

Sprinkle with spices again and add 1/2 C shredded Parmesan cheese.

Bake 30 minutes more. SUPER TASTY!!!