Menu

secular science for grade 1-

Papillon Mom

I think you could do a great first-grade science year just by getting Let's Read and Find Out Science Level 2 books out of the library, reading them, and doing the "labs" they suggest. In my experience the lab activities are very well done, and they typically only use household materials.

Building Foundations of Scientific Understanding uses things you'd typically have around the house, but sometimes you may have to pick up something at the store.

As much as I love BFSU, I didn't recommend it because the OP wanted something with no or minimal prep time. BFSU requires plenty of prep time and some forethought. I'm using MPH Singapore now, which gives us nice websites, easy activities (at least from Diversity through Cycles), and open and go convenience. I will go back to BFSU next year, though. Miss it :)

As much as I love BFSU, I didn't recommend it because the OP wanted something with no or minimal prep time. BFSU requires plenty of prep time and some forethought. I'm using MPH Singapore now, which gives us nice websites, easy activities (at least from Diversity through Cycles), and open and go convenience. I will go back to BFSU next year, though. Miss it :)

I use it as open & go. :)

I think you could do a great first-grade science year just by getting Let's Read and Find Out Science Level 2 books out of the library, reading them, and doing the "labs" they suggest. In my experience the lab activities are very well done, and they typically only use household materials.

:iagree: this is what we are doing and I also purchased everything Kids Science book for experiments.

I totally agree with Core Knowledge series. You can through their website get lesson plans. And if you google Baltimore Curriculum - you can find access to lesson plans for Grade 1 science too. Fantastic! We are using these this year.

It all depends on what type of schooling you want, whether you want school at home (covering all the basics) or just snuggle reading and odd experiment with Let's Find and See science books (we love these too). Or just a quick taste of science with something like Nancy Larson.

How do you want science in your homeschool?

Good luck!!