Menu

Best and cost effective place to buy curriculum for next year

APRH

Hello Forum members!

I am planning on homeschooling my possibly gifted 7 yr old starting next school year. To this end, I am currently in the process of educating myself about various curriculums and approaches and to say the least, I am overwhelmed and need expert help. Hence my post here. I have decided to tackle the curriculum first, more specifically finding out where to buy it. I would really appreciate it if I could get some pointers about where to buy the materials in NJ apart from this forum's for sale list. Is there a good time of the year to be looking for them? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

I also like http://www.homeschoolclassifieds.com. If you have an area homeschool group, they might know of some used curriculum sales. I've found good deals at our local Half Price Books store.

If you like CM, http://www.simplycharlottemason.com has a free curriculum guide. And http://www.amblesideonline.com has many free book, etc. downloads, and a free schedule. Some curriculums have yahoo groups to sell used materials. We use Math-U-See and I get regular e-mails with people selling/wanting to buy materials.

http://www.vegsource.com has many things for sale, though it's a bit cumbersome to navigate their site. HTH some:) Gina

Rainbow Resource and Amazon are my two first places I check. I also like (but have never ordered yet) Exodus Books selections, and I always look at Living Books Curriculum, but something always stops me.

IMO, you can't beat Rainbow Resource for sheer variety, quality, and price. I'm an Amazon Prime member, so if I find something on there that's less expensive, I'll take it, and get it shipped free in two days.

ETA: How could I forget? I also shop here, at the Well Trained Mind Sale Forum! I have gotten some great bargains :)

Edited by sagira

If you don't live in the continental us, bookdepository.com sells a large selection of books with free shipping almost worldwide. Prices are good!

Even if you do live in the continental US, sometimes their prices are better than Amazon. :D I ordered some of DS's lit and the SOTW books from them last year when they were all cheaper than Amazon. Just be prepared for them to trickle in one at a time over a period of days about 1-2 weeks after you order. Each book is mailed individually (meaning you get box day ALL WEEK! :lol:).

Edited by boscopup

Rainbow Resource is the best place to start. They have samples and reviews on most everything.

Google around (ask around!) and see if you have any local curriculum stores/fairs. Seeing the materials first-hand is priceless.

That said, if you give a description of what you are looking for (an LA that is light/rigorous on grammar, a math that is manipulative intensive/free...etc...) then there are many posters here who will link you directly to some quality materials (some not sold at Rainbow Resource and other homeschool stores).

Thanks, 3blessing mom! To begin with, I am looking for some quality critical thinking books. Is there a curriculum for critical thinking out there? Or do you put it together as a piece meal with the various critical thinking co. books? Veteran homeschoolers, please help!

Thankyou for the awesome feedback everyone! You guys are the best!!! What about Homeschooling Conventions? Is it a good place to buy curriculum? Does anyone know if they sell used curriculum there?

My homeschool convention has a huge used curriculum section with tens of thousands of items. That can be a great place to pick up some things that you need. Amazon also has a lot of used books for sale at excellent prices.

Homeschool conventions may also be good places to buy new curriculum, but I always make a list of things I want to buy and the best prices I can find at Amazon, Rainbow Resource, or Christianbook.com before I go shopping at the convention. You don't have to pay for shipping at the convention, but if they charge sales tax, you need to add that into the final price.

Also, it is very easy to overbuy at conventions. Everything looks so shiny and wonderful that many people buy far too much curriculum than the ever have time to use. I always shop with a list and try not to make many splurge or impulse buys.

This is my plan to try to save the most money on curriculum purchases. I finalize my list of everything I need for the year. I note the cheapest price I can find for each thing online including shipping. Then I go to the convention and shop at the used sale. After that, I go shopping at the vendor's tables, but I don't buy things from there if I can get it cheaper elsewhere.

Also with Rainbow Resource, I think you have to buy at least $150 before you get free shipping. I try to only make one big order with them. For Amazon, you can usually get free shipping with a $25 order.

ChristianBook.com does carry some books on critical thinking.

Type "critical thinking" in the search box at CBD and you should get The Fallacy Detective and other books & DVDs.

I shop at CBD first, then Amazon if I can't find it there. Love CBD's samples you can view.

Not sure if anyone mentioned this, but a lot of companies do have big sales in the spring... around April and May and to a lesser degree in June. I think they try to hit you when you get your tax return ;), plus encourage people to buy before the last minute so they aren't SWAMPED in August.

I would try to check out some used curriculum sales in your area so that you can get your hands on the material. That helps tremendously!

I use Rainbow Resource and Christian Book Distributors both regularly. I'm always checking ebay for items I need b/c you can sometimes get a super deal on curricula there.

HTH!

You might want to check with your local homeschooling groups... both to see if there are curricula you can view...as well as to see any used deals.

Conventions are way too tempting for me, but then again, I'm a bit of a curricula junkie. They all look good to me. :)

One thing to know is that you don't have to buy everything at once. Also, don't forget about your library. I've been surprised (pleasantly) at some of the things I've found in the two local libraries where we've lived.

Calvert has a sale going on right now until the end of the month. I think it's 20% off if you pay installments, 30% if you pay in full.

Oak Meadow usually has a sale around April-May.

Sonlight has an amazing return policy--I think it's 180 days, maybe more.

If you have a specific curriculum you're looking for, try and see if there's a Yahoo Group. That is often a good place to find used copies.

Ebay, Amazon, Christianbook.com (even if you're not Christian), Rainbow Resources....all great choices.

They are not always cheapest, but goid buys can be found on the Homeschool Buyer's Co-op.

On Amazon, do not overlook the links to used materials. I have saved hundreds of dollars there.

I have also done well on the buy/sell boards here.

Always double check mfr prices; sometimes people try to sell used for nearly full price.

Manufacturer sales can be great with a handful of publishers (Math Mammoth comes to mind). Some publishers just price low for the quality to start with (Life of Fred-- the bindings are amazing).

I know you asked for resource on where to purchase, but I think you would save money if you change your decision making order. First narrow down your approach to homeschooling or your style of homeschooling. And then figure out what you need and then where to buy it.

A book such as Mary Pride's homeschooling book (or maybe there is a more current one) that helps you narrow down your style will be invaluable. Then instead of being distracted or swayed by a million options from countless sources, you will have a much more narrow focus. If you find you love the classical WTM philosophy, you can pick out your resources (from the handy dandy resource listed in the book) and then shop around.

Maybe you are already doing this, but your OP sounded like a different order. Have fun planning!

I know you asked for resource on where to purchase, but I think you would save money if you change your decision making order. First narrow down your approach to homeschooling or your style of homeschooling. And then figure out what you need and then where to buy it.

But I agree, don't buy too quickly. Try to check items from the library or otherwise narrow down first.

I second these comments.

The most costly mistake you can make is buying a bunch of stuff you don't like. I would make a list of subjects you want to cover and then research what you might want in each subject by reading and posting questions here. Then use the library, online samples, possibly conventions and friends/local hs people to preview. Then once you have your shopping list you can look for the best prices. I have had success with used online (here and eBay), the Homeschool Buyers Co-op (def. sign up for their email list), borrowing things from the library as needed, Amazon and various online stores. Somethings, like HWT I get right from the publishers website. I don't know of any homeschooling stores here in my area but sometimes Christian bookstores have some materials and there are some math and science themed kids/toy/game stores with math and science stuff.

Be careful to factor in shipping costs. For example, at first it looked like http://www.singaporemath.com was the best place to get Singapore Math books by book price but when I found a site with free shipping, it was cheaper to a couple of dollars more for the books and not pay the really high shipping costs on the singapore math site.

:iagree: This really needs to be your first step. There are tons of different homeschool curricula out there. You really need to know your educational philosophy/homeschooling style first so you know what direction to look in.

Thanks, 3blessing mom! To begin with, I am looking for some quality critical thinking books. Is there a curriculum for critical thinking out there? Or do you put it together as a piece meal with the various critical thinking co. books? Veteran homeschoolers, please help!

What age(s)?

Miquon and MEP math are excellent. They aren't specifically "critical thinking," but they are. Mind benders are fun...so are the Tinman Press packs. I think the math currics are more beneficial than the specifically "critical thinking" materials.

btw - I somewhat agree with the advice that you won't know what to buy before you nail down a philosophy in education...but this is like the chicken and the egg...you may not know your philosophy in education before you roll up your sleeves and get your hands dirty in the nitty-gritty of HSing.

Expect some "Oops! This curric isn't working. Let's try ____." So :iagree: with buy slowly, but just don't become paralyzed with fear/confusion. It's OK to just try some things and make changes as you go.

I recommend starting one subject (learning to read if you have a young one). Just worry about getting that program rolling. When it's going well, add in another. (handwriting maybe) When those two are going well, add in math. When those three are going well....you get the idea...

Buying these things is just the beginning.:tongue_smilie: Building slowly will prevent major $$$ waste and burn-out.

Thanks 3blessingmom and Sara in WA and everyone for your insights. It truly is a which comes first - the chick or the egg. I think I need to retrace my steps a bit and narrow down my HS Philosophy based on the needs and personality of my 7 yr old son AND myself before I settle for a curriculum and THEN figure out the best place/s to buy. Otherwise, knowing myself, I will NOT be able to resist the buying spree with a little of this and a little of that. And before I know it, I will be overwhelmed and have spent a ton. Thank you for letting me think it out loud and figuring out.

Edited by APRH

Thanks 3blessingmom and Sara in WA and everyone for your insights. It truly is a which comes first - the chick or the egg. I think I need to retrace my steps a bit and narrow down my HS Philosophy based on the needs and personality of my 7 yr old son AND myself before I settle for a curriculum and THEN figure out the best place/s to buy. Otherwise, knowing myself, I will NOT be able to resist the buying spree with a little of this and a little of that. And before I know it, I will be overwhelmed and have spent a ton. Thank you for letting me think it out loud and figuring out.

What I did to start was make a list of subjects in order of importance to me (math and phonics/reading should probably be on top for a 7yo). Then I started with the top subject, made a list of viable (based on style and secular/religious preference) and started looking at samples.

For example, in math I knew I wanted mastery over spiral. I also knew that I liked the idea of singapore, but not the book juggling. :D

Then in a notebook (and eventually a spreadsheet), I put my first choice (and why) and my 2nd and 3rd choice (and notes on why I eliminated some -- you'll spend hours pouring over samples and start forgetting why you didn't pick X, lol). THEN I moved on to the next subject in importance.

As I made my choice for each subject, I would look back and see if that choice affected any previous ones. For example, some phonics and grammar or writing programs overlap. So, I'd resolve any of those issues (maybe use a 2nd choice for one). And move down the list.

Some programs, like Math Mammoth and stuff from Pandia Press have pretty extensive samples, you can actually use this examples for a week and see what you think. Check if they have those books in the library (FFL, WWE, PP, RP, etc).

Once you get your list set, I'd order just the 3Rs first (math, phonics/reading, handwriting). Use those for a couple weeks. You can add in crafts or games, do unit studies by getting books on a topic form the library, or there are several FREE life science programs to add some fun.

After a couple weeks, re-evaluate those choices and see how your hs is going. If all is well, order your next subject or two and start working it in. If not, reevaluate your choices and consider if you want to change or stick it out longer.

Once you get your rhythm with what you've got, repeat until you have everything going. It may seem more exciting to start everything at once, but easing in will be easier on you and dc in the long run, and you'll have less curriculum angst. A juggler doesn't start by having someone throw 6 balls at them simultaneously, they add one at a time. IMO, the same goes for juggling subjects in homeschooling. ;) Spreading out the startup energy will make life less stressful.

You might like to start with Cathy Duffy's book called 100 Top Picks for Homeschool Curriculum. In that book, she describes the different major homeschool philosophies. You could use that to narrow down your choices and then read more about what you think you would like to pursue.

She also lists her top picks of curriculum along with how well they fit with the various philosophies.

I found this book very helpful when I first started homeschooling because it gave me a good starting point that wasn't too overwhelming. After I was familiar with the basics, it was easier to branch out to do more research about other resources and fine tune the curriulum.

ETA: I found Cathy Duffy's book and many other homeschooling books at my local library.

Edited by Mrs Twain

You might like to start with Cathy Duffy's book called 100 Top Picks for Homeschool Curriculum. In that book, she describes the different major homeschool philosophies. You could use that to narrow down your choices and then read more about what you think you would like to pursue.

She also lists her top picks of curriculum along with how well they fit with the various philosophies.

I found this book very helpful when I first started homeschooling because it gave me a good starting point that wasn't too overwhelming. After I was familiar with the basics, it was easier to branch out to do more research about other resources and fine tune the curriulum.

ETA: I found Cathy Duffy's book and many other homeschooling books at my local library.

Just submitted a request for book pickup at my local library.:001_smile:

While I am NOT an expert (I've only been homeschooling for 4 years if you count Pre-K), I did write a couple of blog posts about being new to homeschooling.

I will link the first post and that post will link you to the second post.

I'm a Homeschool Newbie Part 1

Good luck and blessings on your homeschooling journey!

Thank you PW23kids for the link. Your blog is very informative and I've learnt a lot!!!:001_smile: