Menu

Henna: Anybody here actually did this and was successful?

I don't know of a salon that does henna, but yes, I use it. Mine is very cheap, $2 for a box that lasts me about 4 months. I mix it with some yogurt and honey and paint it on with a paintbrush. (small) I keep it on for about 3 hours. It gets HARD like clay. I lay in the bathtub to let it soften and then shampoo it out. I love it and it makes my hair so healthy!

Here is my blog post from my first time using it:

http://ohmynoodness.blogspot.com/2008/08/henna.html

ETA: On hennaforhair they talk about doing a strand test. Do that! I started brushing my hair everyday for a month or so then saved that hair for the strand test. I was able to see what it was going to look like on MY hair, not on some picture on a website. Keep in mind that it is PERMANENT!

Edited by ThatCyndiGirl

I used henna from the Body Shop for several years when I was in my late teens/early 20s. I have very, very thick hair and it was mid back length and layered at the time. It's tricky as the henna is so thick and lumps can fall off while you're still putting it on, staining everything, and it can take hours to get the colour you want. It is very difficult to spread through your hair as well. The colour result and the condition of my hair was amazing though. It was worth the effort *then* as I had time on my hands but I would never do it now as it takes so long. I used red on my mid brown hair.

It's not so thick if you thin it out to a manageable consistency. Cake batter is right for me.

I used to think that it took so much time, but the majority of it is rinsing it out and I just plan that part for when the kids are watching a movie (older now) or dh takes them out geocaching. I find it very relaxing to lay in the water and massage my scalp to loosen all of the dried on henna.

Maybe I'm just easily entertained.

Please proceed with caution.

I tried henna for several years, it was not a good fit for my skin tone. I spent a long time (years) trying different types and mix-ins (tea, coffee, cloves, etc. etc.) and techniques to move away from red (red does not look good on me). I never achieved the "right" color for me, and I could never duplicate exactly the same color twice. I gave it a good long while to see if it would work, but it did not. And it took a mighty long time for it all to grow out (years), during which I had to go much darker than I think looks good on me, because that's all that would cover it.

I did enjoy the feel/texture of my hair, and I liked that it was more natural than commercial dyes, but I could not work with the color range. I will state up front that I did not do the color test (like everyone -- including here -- strongly suggests); I thought an auburn-y color would be fine. Turns out any tinge of red really gives a sickly pallor to my skin tone. Totally not good, lol.

Hopefully you read on hennaforhair that henna is ONLY red.

That bears repeating:

HENNA IS RED

If a company tells you that they sell blonde henna or black henna or brown henna they do not. They are selling cassia (blonde) or indigo (black) or whatever brown is, but actual henna turns hair red. VERY red.

The strand test is vital.

Hopefully you read on hennaforhair that henna is ONLY red.

That bears repeating:

HENNA IS RED

If a company tells you that they sell blonde henna or black henna or brown henna they do not. They are selling cassia (blonde) or indigo (black) or whatever brown is, but actual henna turns hair red. VERY red.

The strand test is vital.

Good point. Hennas from Lush are a mix. They are not pure henna. They are more forgiving than pure henna.

Yep, I have heard good things about the Lush henna mixes. They may be a good way to ease into it.

I have used a cassia/henna blend that I mixed up myself to take down the red a bit. (I was strawberry blonde as a kid and it deepened with age.)

I sometimes put some amla in to help with curl formation as henna tends to pull some curl out. (loosen the curls a bit)

Last night I made the flax seed gel to encourage curl formation and IT WORKS!!! I had curls upon curls. The gel DOES come out like a huge ball of snot, though. The first palmful fell out of my hand and into the tub and down the drain. :001_huh:

I am a loyal henna user. I only recommend it if people really understand what they're getting into. It takes a long time and it is messy--no matter how neat I try to be, there are always tiny bits of henna flung here and there, so now I have a method. I put it on my hair only while nekkid in the bathtub. :)

I've always used the henna powder in boxes from the health food store... can't remember the name.

Oh yes... other than "it's RED" and "it's permanent (pretty much)", I would like to mention that you CAN'T use many/most/all regular hair dyes on top of it, so be aware that you're making a significant decision to go with henna to the exclusion of other types of colour.

All that said, for me it really works. I love what henna does to my hair. It makes it so strong, soft, shiny, manageable, and a lovely reddish-brown.

I used a henna/indigo mix on my hair for a few years. It covered gray just fine (but henna alone will too) and made my hair a darker reddish brown. It was wonderful for my hair, but I quit because the color wasn't the best on me. You are definitely limited when it comes to shades.

What I did after the initial henna-ing was just to do my roots when they showed up. A lot less messy and time-consuming than doing your whole head. You can freeze the leftover henna for future use. It was nice not having to mix it up every time.

Ok

Here is the link to the chart of what to do if you want (this color) per what your natural hair color is.

http://www.mehandi.com/shop/hairinstructions2.pdf

My confusion is at the top of the chart is the 1/3 henna and 2/3 indigo....1/3 what?? Or is it once I mix the henna to past I use 1/3 of that?? Sorry ....stupid math deficit here.

Holly

I mixed up the henna and indigo separately. Then I used a ratio of prob two parts henna to one part indigo.

It said not to mix all of indigo as it goes bad fast. You have to mix what you need and store the powder in a dark place. So how do I know how much powder to use??

Please proceed with caution.

Doesn't it fade?? What's the deal with the old (mostly Pakistani and Afghani) men and ladies with orange hair?

Examples:

http://www.davestravelcorner.com/journals/publish/article_126.shtml

http://www.terranomada.com/pakistan/taxila/pakistan_051.html

Is that because their hair is white/gray or because the henna has faded? Either way, I am not seeking that look.

I've only put henna on my skin and nails,not hair. I think my mom did it in the 70s and said she turned it orange.

Guest submarines
Hello!!

I know about the hennaforhair website. What a gold mine!! I def. want to try this but hubby wants to know what the hive says. :) Anybody truly tried this and had good results? On your own or salon??

Thanks!

Holly

On my own. Loved, loved, loved the results. The first application was on the bright side, but in several months, I loved the color. It was a bit messy to apply, and after 3 years, I gave it up. Big regrets. I think I will start from the beginning when I get my hair cut. I loved the texture of the hair too.

It said not to mix all of indigo as it goes bad fast. You have to mix what you need and store the powder in a dark place. So how do I know how much powder to use??

I just mixed up a little at a time until it looked like half the amount of the henna. Just eyeballed it, nothing exact.

I signed up to be member of their forumn so I posted my question about which Henna to get. I am going to get the indigo to mix in with Henna to keep my hair brown. Def. will do a strand test. :)

Thanks guys!! Hubby gave me go ahead and he will help apply it on for me. :) He really had no choice as I told him either let my hair go grey or help me. LOL

Holly

I henna because my hair is about 50% gray and the last time I had it chemically colored, I had hives all over my body for three days. So no more chemical color for me, ever. So I had no problem committing to just henna.

I choose to ignore the advice that henna should not be used to cover gray. Nonsense. I will not wear gray. I don't care if it turns hot pink, flame red, glowing orange, whatever ! Just not gray.

I buy it from Mountain Rose Herbs. My pre-gray natural color was dark warm brown. Now it is gray and very dull dark brown. I use a mix of medium brown, copper and a touch of mahogany. When I tried dark brown alone, it was turning the gray hair green, so instead I use this blend of warmer colors to counter any green. It works great ! I have to do it about once per week though to keep the gray covered. I think next time I order I'm going to try inviting burgundy to the party !

I mix it with boiling water with about a teaspoon of olive oil and a few drops of lavender oil. And stir it with a whisk until it is smooth. Yes, a metal whisk ! The horrors of stirring henna with metal I have read about on some sites have never materialized here. I put it on with a tint brush, all over my roots. I rub it into my roots with one gloved hand (can't do that with chem color !). I do it over the kitchen sink. When it's all in, I wrap my head in a damp birdseye towel and tuck it in. I leave it on for 30-60 minutes, then shampoo as normal. My hair is nicely colored and conditioned. The hour it is in is like a deep conditioning and aromatherapy treatment as well, with the olive oil and the lavender.

I only do the henna super early in the morning so it can be all washed out and I can be dressed well before any civilized person would knock on my front door. Only twice have I tried to do it during the daytime. And both times, someone came to the front door. Doh.

The only special treatment I give it is that I no longer use conditioner - the oils in the conditioner were stripping the henna off my hair so my color didn't last. Now I just use detangling spray instead.

Edited by laundrycrisis

if your confused i would check out henna sooq here is their websitehttp://www.hennasooq.com/ they sell henna at a good price, they have sales every week and they sell some really great quantity henna. also you can email, call them, and they will answer all your questions all the way down to putting it in. alot of people use them and seriously they have some of the best customer service ever.

Indigo is not henna but a different plant that you use with henna to achieve a darker hair color.

Basically a blue dye. :)

Holly

There is something my in laws use that in English is called "black henna" on their skin that leaves black marks on their skin, whereas regular henna is reddish brown on the skin. I have seen it with my own eyes. I have been told it is irritating to some people's skin.

I have no idea if this is indigo but several of the sites refer to indigo as being called black henna.

So my question is, does this substance they are calling indigo/"black henna" lead to scalp irritation?

There is something my in laws use that in English is called "black henna" on their skin that leaves black marks on their skin, whereas regular henna is reddish brown on the skin. I have seen it with my own eyes. I have been told it is irritating to some people's skin.

I have no idea if this is indigo but several of the sites refer to indigo as being called black henna.

So my question is, does this substance they are calling indigo/"black henna" lead to scalp irritation?

I have read that the only issue if scalp irritation happens is either due to allergic reaction to the henna or you are using NON pure henna plant or indigo that is not pure.That is what I got out of the hennaforhair website.

ETA: Ok I found out that the only reason you would get irritation from indigo is allergic reaction.

Holly

Edited by Holly IN

If you're unsure you can also do a henna 'gloss.' A henna gloss is a little bit of color. You take it off much sooner (Google for specific directions). I mixed a few TBL. of henna with chamomile tea and a white/clear conditioner. I left mine on for 60 minutes under a shower cap and then washed it off in the shower.

I've did that, assuming I would move up to a full henna. Two months later I did another gloss. The overlapping areas (where I'd glossed before) were brighter red (although still very auburny) than the newly hennaed areas.

I like auburn (my grey was minimal), so I figured I'd find the right shade and then only gloss higher then that. What I ended up with was 3 subtle shades of brown/red, browner at the temples and auburn at the tips.

Of course this was before I started greying more. :tongue_smilie:

I have some henna in a drawer. When life slows down a bit I may try this again. I'm not sure if a henna gloss would cover grey as well.

I apply it over the kitchen sink, and wrap my hair in a damp birdseye towel. The damp towel keeps the henna damp for the hour, which makes it more effective, and also keeps it from drying and crumbling out of my hair and making a mess. The olive oil also helps keep it from being a crumbly gritty mess.

How do you guys do the clean up? Our bathrooms (all of them) have real tiles and grout in them so how do you control the clean up and mess?

Holly

I have used Surya henna products. They have a powder, but I used their ready-to-go cream (so, henna based, but not 100% henna). It is easy--no mixing and, unlike chemical dyes, if you don't use the whole bottle you just cap it and put in the fridge. I am nearly completely gray, and I dye my hair black. Blue-black. The Surya henna gave me the color I wanted and covered the gray. However, it faded after about 7 days or so. I would have had to use it weekly to keep it up. After a few uses, I decided to go back to chemical treatments in the salon. I started going gray when I was sixteen; I am barely into my thirties now. I am not ready to be completely gray!! :tongue_smilie:

Anyhow, it is good, natural stuff. It was easy to use. No clumping, no different than using chemical dye creams. The color results were true to what I wanted, not red (and trust me, on all this gray, if it were gonna turn red it would be verrrrry noticeable). You don't have to wait to grow it out before getting your hair dyed chemically. I just didn't want to deal with using it so often. If and when I decide to go ahead and let my hair go gray, I will probably suck it up and use this product to get me through that awkward growing-out stage (with my hair being so black, when my gray roots start growing in I look like a skunk :lol:).

• 4 months later...
I have used the henna from Lush. Their forums have a sticky thread about using it.

I haven't yet had time to visit their forums and hope to later today.

Is it fairly user-friendly?

Thanks. :)

I have used Surya henna products. They have a powder, but I used their ready-to-go cream (so, henna based, but not 100% henna).

I'm undecided between this and the Lush ones. My sister and mother use Surya and are happy with it.

I am nearly completely gray, and I dye my hair black. Blue-black. The Surya henna gave me the color I wanted and covered the gray. However, it faded after about 7 days or so.

Yes, I love black and blue-black.

But 7 days??? Not good at all. :confused:

The thing to remember about henna is that you can NEVER dye your hair with traditional color again after using it. It has to completely be grown out before you can color it again, which will take years if your hair is long. I had to cut off my long long hair into a pixie after I'd used a henna deep conditioner (not even a color) a few times and then colored it. It turned an awful color & to a brittle, straw like texture. No conditioner (professional or at home) could touch it. I finally gave up and cut it off. It took several years to grow back out to the long length I prefer.

I haven't yet had time to visit their forums and hope to later today.

Is it fairly user-friendly?

Thanks. :)

Their layout is much the same as this forum. It tends to be quite young, liberal and more global than this forum. It is also very lightly moderated. Stick to the product forums unless you don a flameproof suit. ;)

The thing to remember about henna is that you can NEVER dye your hair with traditional color again after using it.

Thank you for this warning. Sorry you had to go through all that.

Their layout is much the same as this forum. It tends to be quite young, liberal and more global than this forum. It is also very lightly moderated. Stick to the product forums unless you don a flameproof suit. ;)

Thanks, Mrs. Mungo. Yes, I'll just stick to the product forum. :lol: