Menu

NY'ers - grade skip on paperwork?

My son is officially in third grade this year, on our IHIPs and other paperwork. He was eight for Sept, Oct, Nov, Dec and Jan. He was born January 30th. He'll be nine for Feb, Mar, Apr & May. So I figured he's mostly eight this year, even just by a month, so it should be third grade.

Only he is going to be finished with a fourth grade math book in a month, tested out of WWE4, and is capable of reading anything. Really, academically, he should be starting fifth grade before the beginning of next year. In my planning for next year I am looking at all middle school programs. He will be nine most of next year and if I don't skip him a grade, he'll be in fourth on paper.

Do I want to tell the school district that he is in fifth (or even sixth) grade next year? I always figured if I bumped him it should be between sixth and seventh, when regulations change, but now I'm wondering if they'll actually give me a harder time then because everything is more detailed.

I do believe in the importance of telling the school district just how well he's doing. I think that's essential both in case he ever goes back to school (I had this happen with a stepkid, and they looked at his IHIPs to place him) and for the someday when we are asking a superintendent to write that letter stating that he completed a high school program.

On the other hand, testing him at his chronological grade level means that he always scores in the 99% on everything. I'm not sure that matters much, though, really. He can afford the ten point drop he might make if he were tested at grade level.

I don't usually recommend skipping a grade level *on paper,* unless you can document the reason for skipping a grade. And the only way you can actually document it satisfactorily is with standardized test scores. Give your ds the standardized test according to his "official" grade level, and if he scores way above--I'm thinking into high school--then you could officially skip a grade.

I say this because I've personally known hsers who skipped their dc on paper, and later, when their dc went to school, the school gave them grief because they couldn't document the reason for the skip.

OTOH, you say that a school accepted your stepkid's IHIP, so that might be enough.

I think you are over thinking things. The school doesn't care what work your child is doing or anything. As long as your paperwork is filed and meets the requirements and you test at the right time, no one cares. They don't care how well he tests as long as he meets the minimum. They just need to check off a box. I list my kids where they would be if they were enrolled. It is much easier with testing. It is a system. They expect kids of a certain age to be in a certain place. If you start messing with that, you are going to draw attention to yourself. Why do that?

My son's birthday is in January. He just turned 7. According to the school he is a first grader. They don't care that he doing work at a higher level. As long as I get my paperwork in and I get my letter of approval, no one cares what I am doing. In fact, I recycle reports from kid to kid. I use the same materials so why write all new reports? No one has noticed. My friend recycled reports with all four kids. Once she didn't change the name every single time and no one noticed.

I only tell the school what I must. I don't report anything 'extra' like Latin or Spanish. If it isn't required by the state I don't report it.

And colleges don't see the paperwork you file. You make your own transcripts and send those off. I am half convinced that the district just deletes the handed in reports at the end of every school year.

I would only do it if you plan to have him graduate young from high school (whether you homeschool for high school or not), or need a grade skip because you're planning to place him in PS very soon.

Consider that keeping him in the correct grade for age might allow him to demonstrate strengths in ways that could significantly enhance his application to selective universities.

The school doesn't care what work your child is doing or anything. As long as your paperwork is filed and meets the requirements and you test at the right time, no one cares.

:iagree:

The whole concept of grade level loses its importance once you're out of a school setting. Just tick the fourth grade box and get back to prepping him for AP calculus or teaching him to read his first Bob book or whatever in-between you're working on.

My son is officially in third grade this year, on our IHIPs and other paperwork. He was eight for Sept, Oct, Nov, Dec and Jan. He was born January 30th. He'll be nine for Feb, Mar, Apr & May. So I figured he's mostly eight this year, even just by a month, so it should be third grade.

Only he is going to be finished with a fourth grade math book in a month, tested out of WWE4, and is capable of reading anything. Really, academically, he should be starting fifth grade before the beginning of next year. In my planning for next year I am looking at all middle school programs. He will be nine most of next year and if I don't skip him a grade, he'll be in fourth on paper.

Do I want to tell the school district that he is in fifth (or even sixth) grade next year? I always figured if I bumped him it should be between sixth and seventh, when regulations change, but now I'm wondering if they'll actually give me a harder time then because everything is more detailed.

I do believe in the importance of telling the school district just how well he's doing. I think that's essential both in case he ever goes back to school (I had this happen with a stepkid, and they looked at his IHIPs to place him) and for the someday when we are asking a superintendent to write that letter stating that he completed a high school program.

On the other hand, testing him at his chronological grade level means that he always scores in the 99% on everything. I'm not sure that matters much, though, really. He can afford the ten point drop he might make if he were tested at grade level.

I skipped dd on paperwork between 4th and 6th. She never had a 5th grade year. No questions were asked. She had finished the 4th grade and 5th grade work in one year and actually tested in the upper 90th percentiles anyway.

We are now almost 3 years down that road, and we haven't had any problem keeping up, testing well, moving forward.

She will be beginning high school level work this spring, a few months early because we have finished 8th grade level work.....but inam not skipping her grade again, as I don't want her to move to college too early. We will just do more difficult work in high school.

Hth,

Faithe

Eta: The real reason for the "skip" was I had held her back in K, starting it at 6, which was within compliance of the law. She was getting guff from the girls on her swim team that she was home schooled and stupid because she was a grade behind. My thinking was....no biggie, we will just change the number....lol. It was no biggie...she was way ahead of grade level....way ahead of her peers....but the number was all they cared about. Mean Girls! Anyway, the grade level also helped in other groups where they needed to know grade level and not age. Those are the things I would consider before putting anything on paper.

As far as grade level goes in our home, it is moot. We move ahead level by level as kids are ready and able regardless of the number attached to their paperwork.

Edited by Mommyfaithe

:bigear:

I'm interested in watching...I have a 5 yr old (Dec. 15, 2006) that is reading at above 1st grade and is working on Math at 1st grade level. He technically would not even be enrolled in K until this coming September.

In NY, I would list him as K.....only because there is less paperwork. You can work harder on his weaker areas...writing or math....etc., Or just enjoy another year of no requirements. At 1st, quarterlies and year end evals kick in with testing required every other year from grades 4-8 and then every year from 9-12th.

Why bother handing in anything else early? In would rather spend my time homeschooling than dealing with paperwork and such nonsense.

Faithe

In NY, I would list him as K.....only because there is less paperwork. You can work harder on his weaker areas...writing or math....etc., Or just enjoy another year of no requirements. At 1st, quarterlies and year end evals kick in with testing required every other year from grades 4-8 and then every year from 9-12th.

Why bother handing in anything else early? In would rather spend my time homeschooling than dealing with paperwork and such nonsense.

Faithe

Faithe, I don't even have to report him until 2013/2014, right? I haven't reported my daughter yet...she's 6 (1/3/2006), though I expect I will have to report her for September as she would technically be 1st grade (she's on grade level in her actual work, except for math in which she's behind).

Honestly, I haven't even begun to think about reporting and whatnot. We just moved here this past year and are still really trying to get our bearings straight.

I am running out the door to work, but my youngest son turned 9yo in the fall. He misses the TN cut-off by 11 days. He is doing high school level math. I have no immediate plans for an official grade skip.

Why? I have never met family that bemoaned the fact that their son was too old when he went away to college, but I have met numerous families who wished their son had been older by either staying in high school another year or by taking a gap year.

Also, I figure that it will be easier to skip a grade later or graduate early than to try and tell my son, "Oops, I made a mistake and, although your academics are still ahead of grade level, I want you to repeat 8th grade."

I have been looking at how the BASIS schools in AZ challenge accelerated students. This may be the path we take or we may indeed grade skip from 6th to 8th and then take a gap year if we decide he needs more maturity before college. I don't have a pat answer. I am not totally for or against official grade skips, but, as a mom of an older child who is a sophomore in college, the transition to the social pressures of college are fresh in my mind and I just don't know that I would want to put my son through that any younger than necessary. So, right now I am not convinced that a grade skip is necessary.

Good luck on arriving at a decision that will work for your son-

Mandy

Edited by Mandy in TN

Why? I have never met family that bemoaned the fact that their son was too old when he went away to college, but I have met numerous families who wished their son had been older by either staying in high school another year or by taking a gap year.

I guess I am imagining that if he's done with twelfth grade at sixteen and it says that on his paperwork, he would have two nice plump gap years, but if he's done with twelfth grade at sixteen and his paperwork says he's in tenth grade, then he has to keep doing something academic instead of exploring freely while still under my guardianship.

I think you are over thinking things. The school doesn't care what work your child is doing or anything. As long as your paperwork is filed and meets the requirements and you test at the right time, no one cares. They don't care how well he tests as long as he meets the minimum. They just need to check off a box.

This hasn't been my experience. In our last school district, they scrutinized my stepson's IHIPs and quarterly reports to determine what classes to put him in when he transferred to a public middle school. I have had lengthy conversations with the homeschool coordinator at both that district and our current about curriculum, how well the children are progressing, what advice I might have for other parents. When one of my second graders dropped five points on a math test, the coordinator said a lot of her parents had just started Singapore and really liked that. They're paying attention.

I guess I am imagining that if he's done with twelfth grade at sixteen and it says that on his paperwork, he would have two nice plump gap years, but if he's done with twelfth grade at sixteen and his paperwork says he's in tenth grade, then he has to keep doing something academic instead of exploring freely while still under my guardianship.

Why not wait to make the decision until middle school or late middle school?

He can still have the 4 years of high school, but wait to do the grade skip until he's ready to start high school. That keeps all options open longer.

I'm considering going the other way... My son's birthday is Aug. 29. The school cut off is Sept. 1, so he's in 4th grade now but would be the youngest in class if he were in a traditional school. He's working at the appropriate level (or a bit higher), but I'm considering having him repeat a grade so he doesn't go off to college before turning 18. I think I'd like that extra year.

We've started discussing it now as an idea and we'll make a decision sometime between 6th and 8th grades. I think the grade level will matter much more for high school than any time before.

Good luck with your decision.

Actually, not in NY. We're only required to report to the district from the ages of 6-16, even if a child is still in 10th grade.

As far as the OP's question, I would not skip a grade. Many homeschoolers have children that do work a grade level or more above their official grade. In our case, my 9yo, 3rd grader tested at a post high school level in reading, is finishing up 4th grade math, etc., but I've chosen to keep his official grade at 3rd for several reasons. One, I never feel pressure when it comes time for testing, as I know he'll always do well for his "grade" level. Secondly, I want him older when he attends college, to have more maturity under his belt and thirdly, I much prefer him being with 3rd graders in other group settings. If I listed him as 4th or 5th grade, based on his work, he would be exposed to things much sooner than I prefer, especially as he enters the teen years.

Edited by daybreaking
Addendum

Both of mine have been tested, and are considered gifted, but I've never registered them at the level they're working at for several reasons:

1. You may have an "off" year and need that gap at some point because of family medical issues, moving, etc.

2. Sometimes being ahead evens out as they get older.

3. It harder to work adding a year or two at the end versus deciding to graduate them a year early. I personally don't want to be locked into something I'm unsure about.

4. If mine went to the classroom, I'd want them at the grade level, not ahead.

HTH!

If you wanted to finish up at 16yo there are several options. He can get a GED. He can look at colleges that have early enrollment programs where he would start after his 10th grade year. He can do his final two years through dual enrollment at the community college and graduate with a high school diploma and his associates degree at the same time. You can look at the scope and sequence information from the BASIS schools in AZ and incorporate some of their ideas or similar ones into your homeschool so that your son can continue to go deeper and broader while at home.

These are just some other options. There are certainly kids who are more than ready and chomping at the bit to go to college. There are even kids for whom staying at home would be a tremendous disservice.

I just want to put off a grade skipping decision for as long as possible, because I can't imagine it going well if I tried to put him back a grade. :tongue_smilie:

Mandy

Why not wait to make the decision until middle school or late middle school?

The requirements for junior high are cumulative. I don't think he can skip them. He'll have to get a certain number of hours in certain subjects done in order for seventh or eighth grade requirements to be satisfied and him to go on to the next grade. Our laws say:

For purposes of this subdivision, a unit means six thousand four hundred eighty (6,480) minutes of instruction per school year.

(ii) For grades seven and eight: English (two units); history and geography (two units); science (two units); mathematics (two units); physical education (on a regular basis); health education (on a regular basis); art (one-half unit); music (one-half unit); practical arts (on a regular basis) and library skills (on a regular basis). The units required herein are cumulative requirements for both grades seven and eight.

(iv) For grades nine through twelve: English (four units); social studies (four units) which includes one unit of American history, one-half unit in participation in government, and one-half unit economics; mathematics (two units); science (two units); art and/or music (one unit); health education (one-half unit); physical education (two units); and three units of electives. The units required herein are cumulative requirements for grades nine through twelve.

The requirements for junior high are cumulative. I don't think he can skip them. He'll have to get a certain number of hours in certain subjects done in order for seventh or eighth grade requirements to be satisfied and him to go on to the next grade. Our laws say:

For purposes of this subdivision, a unit means six thousand four hundred eighty (6,480) minutes of instruction per school year.

(ii) For grades seven and eight:

Well that's yuckky.

As I'm not in NY, feel free to ignore me :D

I still would wait to skip until the LAST minute. So in your case, go from 5th to 7th. I skipped 1st grade and was academically at the top of my class but was absolutely miserable socially. I repeated 7th and switched schools and was much better. I was lucky and still had a good educational experience. Academically, neither school was a problem. I just have a definite aversion to grade skips. With homeschool, I see staying with where my son is based on age for his assigned grade - until it's essential to make a decision. So with me considering having him repeat a grade so he's not the youngest in his college class, I'll make that decision before he starts high school courses, so middle school. You may have to make it earlier (before middle school) but I'd hold off until absolutely essential to do the skip.

Best of luck in your decision.

Faithe, I don't even have to report him until 2013/2014, right? I haven't reported my daughter yet...she's 6 (1/3/2006), though I expect I will have to report her for September as she would technically be 1st grade (she's on grade level in her actual work, except for math in which she's behind).

Honestly, I haven't even begun to think about reporting and whatnot. We just moved here this past year and are still really trying to get our bearings straight.

You need to report your child the year your child becomes 6 before December 31. My guys turned 6 in the spring, so I registered them as kindergarten the following August. They did K the year they were 6 and turned 7, no reporting other than an Ihip...which there are no requirements....and a year end evaluation, which I wrote, that said they made a years progress in reading, math and the English Language.

All was in compliance. My kids were reading well before they turned 4....that didn't matter. All that counts is age. Later on, you can skip a grade or lose a grade on paper....no problem.

Good luck,

Faithe

What letter?

There is a letter that is given by the superintendent that says something along the lines that your homeschooled student has met the requirements of the state and has an equivalent education . It really only matters if your child wants to attend a SUNY or a enroll in a community college full time. If you don't have that letter in those two situations you can't get certain types of financial aid to attend state schools in NY.

In some districts they don't give them out as a matter of course. I have a friend who lives in such a district. The person who oversees the homeschoolers has a philosophical problem with homeschooling. Two of her kids went to school out of state and it was never asked for. Her third son is attending a SUNY and isn't getting TAP because he doesn't have that letter. All in all it hasn't had a huge impact.

And, from what I have read of the regs, if your IHIP is approved every year then they don't really have any reason NOT to grant you that letter. The letter says that you met all legal requirements, so if you have IHIP approval you should get the letter. It doesn't mean you did anything special. I have never met anyone outside of that particular district who has not got one if they asked for it. In my district they give them to everyone who asks. If your IHIPS were approved, then you get it.

And for all NYs who get asked for extra information, make sure the request is part of the NYS regs. Tell them you will be happy to comply with any request if they can tell you under what NYS educational reg that request falls. It is amazing how often they 'forget' to follow up when asked such a question. Know your regs! Follow them, but make the district follow them as well.

Sweetpea,

I highly suggest you call him his age-based grade and report it that way regardless of what level work he is doing. My opinion on this is the same whether the child is a grade level ahead or multiple grade levels ahead. My daughter, at 7, was easily a middle school level (though we were mindful of content for some of the literature). BTW, I also had a child not even THINKING of being ready to learn to read at 7. He was well behind what our public school considers "kindergarten ready." But would anyone call a 7year old preK? This same kid is graduating this spring at 17.

I don't believe in evening out, but kids learn in spurts. Additionally, level of work needs to be what they are DOING, but grade level is just an official (or social) thing that really just doesn't matter when kids are in elementary school.

What I would have answered the OP would be to wait until jr high level to make the switch. Generally, I'd think 7th-8th or 8th-9th, but because of state regulations, I can see going ahead and doing it a year early. Basically, by that time, a parent has a good idea what a kid is going to do academically, what his goals are, and from what he'll be benefited. For many kids, going ahead and graduating early can be a good thing. For some majors, it would make much more sense to wait and have them have THE strongest transcript they can possibly have. Even our public school has options for 5 and 6 maths and sciences now, for example. And a kid using college as a supplement could have even more.

Anyway, I have had a kid at both ends of the spectrum. I really wish I just would have used the age-based grade until 8th grade and then adjusted there as necessary. It would have made my life so much easier. I'm fortunate; I get to start over and do it "right" (by my own opinion) this time :)

Edited by 2J5M9K

Pam, I think I will report him at grade level. What has been discussed here makes a lot of sense. He's only 5, so who knows what will happen as he gets older. I like the idea of him having a gap year at the end of high school.

I've always said I would prefer my kids NOT go to college right after high school. Not unless they feel really driven towards a specific career. How many of us went to college not really knowing what we wanted, graduated with a specific degree and then had to go BACK for something completely different later in life?

My preference would be that the four of my kids learn a trade and spend a year or two doing volunteer work with missionaries, or Peace Corp, etc. I want them to experience a little of the world, grow and mature as adults, and discover what they truly are interested in. And THEN go off to post secondary education.

For my fellow NYers...as I really have no idea on what is required (I'm speculating on what an IHIP iis), I do have a few questions. Are the requirements state, county or district specific? We are in Yates County (Penn Yan). Are we required to log hours per subject?

What letter?

NY offers a " Letter of Completion", which states the child had complied with and finished all requirements under NYS homeschool regulation for an adequate homeschool education. It is a formality, which they were encouraged ( forced) to offer after a family took them to court because they would not grant their son his AAS at the CC unless he took a GED. It used to be...no GED/no college diploma. Anyway, the family won and now there are 3 options in which to matriculate as a home schooled student in NY

GED

Letter of Completion

24 college credits.

Any of those 3 options and you can matriculate and become eligible for financial aid and can apply for graduation.

Ftr, a friend of mine's dd had to take her GED, then graduated from CC 5 weeks later. They would not accept that she had 65 credits as proof she finished HS level work!

My oldest took. GED as there were no other options at that time.

Faithe

P.S. There is no guarantee that the superintendent will actually WRITE the letter. They are not REQUIRED to. It is just an option that they can / or can not do if they want to. Sounds like your Supt. Is not very privy to the regs., however my experience has been superintendents don't last all that long. Just as soon as we have one who " gets" it, they are onto another district and we have to start all over again......sigh.

Edited by Mommyfaithe

For my fellow NYers...as I really have no idea on what is required (I'm speculating on what an IHIP iis), I do have a few questions. Are the requirements state, county or district specific? We are in Yates County (Penn Yan). Are we required to log hours per subject?

an IHIP includes the child's name, address, and grade level. It also includes the dates ( you choose, but they should be adequately spaced) you will submit quarterly reports.

Then a list of subjects and either a text book or a SHORT plan...and how it will be assessed.

You have to keep " attendance". And this seems a big issue:D...I just write a date on my kids plan book every day when we finish....are we all here??

IOW:

Math. Saxon Math 1......daily.....graded

Reading: Library books in conduction with history and science topics....graded

Physical Education: Soccer, bicycling ( whatever your kids DO). Progress noted.

Etc. For each subject. I often use a text as a base....and then use that for my quarterlies.....but not necessarily our sole book.

I keep my quarterly and IHIPs simple, and to the point. No novels offered...it fit on one page.

You must sign it....

Ask a long time homeschooler in your area to see theirs...and follow the form. All should be fine....

Don't sweat it too much.

Faithe

There is a letter that is given by the superintendent that says something along the lines that your homeschooled student has met the requirements of the state and has an equivalent education . It really only matters if your child wants to attend a SUNY or a enroll in a community college full time. If you don't have that letter in those two situations you can't get certain types of financial aid to attend state schools in NY.

Yep. Here's that reg. SUNY is what most of the adults my sons know have done. I'd be foolish not to make sure that door is open to them.

The requirements are universal across the state.

The only power individual areas (school districts, I think) have is in deciding if homeschoolers can participate part time in school extracurriculars. In none of the three districts I've homeschooled (Smithtown Central, Utica City & Albany City) have I heard of a school actually allowing that, unfortunately.

IHIP stands for Individualized Home Instruction Plan. It's a description of what you plan to teach (law says: "syllabi, curriculum materials, textbooks, or plan of instruction") for each subject for the school year. What subjects you have to teach are listed too, and different at different grade levels. For kindergarten, no specific subjects are required, which is why so many homeschooled six-year-olds, who just became mandated to report, are reported as kindergarteners even if they're doing above grade level work. For 1st to 6th grade, you have to put your plans on your IHIP for "arithmetic, reading, spelling, writing, the English language, geography, United States history, science, health education, music, visual arts, physical education". The IHIP has to include a breakdown of your year into quarters as well as things you'd guess, like name, date of birth, grade level, address, names and signatures of instructors. You can set the quarterly dates wherever you want.

The IHIP isn't even the worst of the paperwork we have to do. It's the quarterly reports that kill me.

It stinks. But it definitely keeps stupid and lazy people from homeschooling. :tongue_smilie:

In some districts they don't give them out as a matter of course. I have a friend who lives in such a district. The person who oversees the homeschoolers has a philosophical problem with homeschooling. Two of her kids went to school out of state and it was never asked for. Her third son is attending a SUNY and isn't getting TAP because he doesn't have that letter. All in all it hasn't had a huge impact.

And, from what I have read of the regs, if your IHIP is approved every year then they don't really have any reason NOT to grant you that letter. The letter says that you met all legal requirements, so if you have IHIP approval you should get the letter. It doesn't mean you did anything special. I have never met anyone outside of that particular district who has not got one if they asked for it. In my district they give them to everyone who asks. If your IHIPS were approved, then you get it.

And for all NYs who get asked for extra information, make sure the request is part of the NYS regs. Tell them you will be happy to comply with any request if they can tell you under what NYS educational reg that request falls. It is amazing how often they 'forget' to follow up when asked such a question. Know your regs! Follow them, but make the district follow them as well.

Interesting. I think the reason I've never heard of the letter is that none of the homeschooling families I know get one. (I'm from upstate NY.) When their children are ready for college, all they do is submit their transcript (done by the mother). Thankfully, none have had any trouble getting into college, even SUNY schools. I can't speak about financial aid, as I've never discussed that with them. In my experience, many colleges are glad to get the homeschoolers, because of their reputation for being such good students.

http://www.nyhen.org/regs.htm

Learn them, live them.

You don't have to log hours until highschool. And even then no one is asking to see daily logs or anything. It really is up to you. It is a paperwork dance.

As stated, the regs are uniform in the state. It doesn't matter what county you are in, the regs are the same for everyone. Your local superintendent may NOT create any 'special' local requirements. Well, he or she may think they may, but it is not permitted. Again, if asked for anything not covered, ask to know where in the regs it is required.

So, so often a new person comes in and knows NOTHING about homeschooling. The folks in the next district over from me (same county) had a new person who didn't know that the state has homeschooling regulations in place. Seriously. She came in and started handing down all these new edicts about how things were going to be. When the state regs were pointed out to her she was stunned that she couldn't go further that what the state required. She was all "well, that is nice that the state wants that, but THIS is what I want." It was a really difficult thing for her to let go. It was horrible.

And every time a homeschooler complies with a request that isn't legal, it makes thing more difficult for everyone else. Think of it like parenting a toddler. If you give in once, they will expect it every time.

Wow, that's frustrating! So far, Penn Yan has been very accommodating to us and I have no complaints. But, we've only dealt with them regarding IEP assessments for my oldest two (my 6 year old has a still-to-be-diagnosed LD and my 5 year old has a speech artic delay. They've been wonderful.

Our school district in RI, on the other hand, was not so amenable. Actually, most folks were. But one person in particular was just SO offended by the fact that we were choosing to homeschool. I was seeking evals for my daughter as she had twice failed Child Outreach screenings. This person was incredibly friendly and helpful until I mentioned we were homeschooling and her attitude literally turned icy. She even stated during the initial IEP meeting that she did not understand why I was pursuing testing if I planned to homeschool.

She then went on to make everything as difficult as possible, planning meetings and evals at 9am, knowing I had an infant, a toddler and two young preschoolers to get out of the house. When I asked for afternoon meetings she stated the only time it could be done was before noon (fair enough). When I asked her what families did that had jobs they couldn't take time away from, she stated, "well MOST parents make this kind of stuff a priority."

That was the final straw for me. As a parent I was offended, but as a former teacher, I was appalled at her incredible lack of professionalism. I called the director of special ed and complained.

She was sweet as pie after that. :-)

yeah, well, they had better be nice about providing services to homeschoolers. They are legally mandated to do so. It went to court maybe three years ago. They are NOT being nice by mistake. The state cut special ed services to homeschoolers three or four years ago until the court made them reverse that decision. It was homeschoolers paying for lawyers and standing up to the ed dept that changed that.

My youngest child is a first grader getting special ed services and we came very close to losing them when that happened.

Make sure you follow the regs to keep those special ed services

http://www.p12.nysed.gov/nonpub/homeinstruction/

There is a PDF at this site that has an explanation of the requirements for continuing the special ed services. I have the memo saved on my computer. I print it out and hand it in with my yearly letter to the superintendent and BoE requesting special ed services for my homeschool student.

Make sure you get that letter/request in by June first ever year or your child loses special ed services.

You need to report your child the year your child becomes 6 before December 31. My guys turned 6 in the spring, so I registered them as kindergarten the following August. They did K the year they were 6 and turned 7, no reporting other than an Ihip...which there are no requirements....and a year end evaluation, which I wrote, that said they made a years progress in reading, math and the English Language.

All was in compliance. My kids were reading well before they turned 4....that didn't matter. All that counts is age. Later on, you can skip a grade or lose a grade on paper....no problem.

Good luck,

Faithe

The requirements are universal across the state.

The only power individual areas (school districts, I think) have is in deciding if homeschoolers can participate part time in school extracurriculars. In none of the three districts I've homeschooled (Smithtown Central, Utica City & Albany City) have I heard of a school actually allowing that, unfortunately.

IHIP stands for Individualized Home Instruction Plan. It's a description of what you plan to teach (law says: "syllabi, curriculum materials, textbooks, or plan of instruction") for each subject for the school year. What subjects you have to teach are listed too, and different at different grade levels. For kindergarten, no specific subjects are required, which is why so many homeschooled six-year-olds, who just became mandated to report, are reported as kindergarteners even if they're doing above grade level work. For 1st to 6th grade, you have to put your plans on your IHIP for "arithmetic, reading, spelling, writing, the English language, geography, United States history, science, health education, music, visual arts, physical education". The IHIP has to include a breakdown of your year into quarters as well as things you'd guess, like name, date of birth, grade level, address, names and signatures of instructors. You can set the quarterly dates wherever you want.

The IHIP isn't even the worst of the paperwork we have to do. It's the quarterly reports that kill me.

It stinks. But it definitely keeps stupid and lazy people from homeschooling. :tongue_smilie:

My oldest will be 6 in June, and I'm planning to report him as a K'er next year regardless of what he's doing at home, so what should I include in his IHIP since there are no requirements for K? "Grade-appropriate instruction in reading, writing, arithmetic?" What about quarterly reports? "Satisfactory progress?" Can it stay very vague?

This has been on my mind all year, so I'm glad to see this thread! :)

My oldest will be 6 in June, and I'm planning to report him as a K'er next year regardless of what he's doing at home, so what should I include in his IHIP since there are no requirements for K? "Grade-appropriate instruction in reading, writing, arithmetic?" What about quarterly reports? "Satisfactory progress?" Can it stay very vague?

Just report what he is doing and call it K. There aren't any specific requirements for what progress they have to make in the other years either.

Contact your local homeschooling group and see if anyone is able to share a look at their IHIPs or quarterlys. Once you see a couple, you realize they aren't that big a deal.

And I always keep them fairly vague no matter what. I give a couple highlights to make it sound specific, but I don't give any more than necessary.

I might say something like this for a kindergartner in a quarterly report:

Language Arts: Susie is enjoying learning to read. She has completed the last two books of the Explode the Code series. She has been making good progress in First Language Lessons. She is also progressing through Handwriting Without Tears.

Science: Susie is studying life science this year. She has spent the first quarter learning about different animals. We have discussed the differences between mammals, reptiles, fish and birds. She is especially interested in how mother animals care for their babies.

History: Susie is studying Ancient History this year. This quarter we learned about Mesopotamia and Egypt. She enjoyed our cave painting project and making a pyramid from Duplos.

Math: Susie is making good progress in math. She is counting up to 20, has learned her number bonds through 10 and is learning about odd and even numbers.

It's pretty easy. I made all that up off the top of my head after doing it twice with my own kids. I just look at the table of contents of what we have used and pick out a couple things to highlight at random. Now, you will notice that I have a kindy kid using SOTW, a 'first grade' book. The school doesn't know and doesn't care. They just don't. I also had this kindergartner completing ETC, because we had actually started the series last year when this imaginary child was 5. No one will say boo, or they shouldn't.

In the next quarter I might mention that little Susie is reading beginning chapter books out loud as our reading instruction. I might mention MTH or other beginner readers series and say she is reading 30 mins a day as part of school and she is engaging in 20 mins of silent reading in her own time. Whatever.

It depends on the district. I reported my 6 yo as a kindergartener and when it came time for my quarterly to be due, my district sent me a letter saying I didn't need to submit any paperwork, since there are no requirements in the regs for kindergarten. (Too bad they didn't send it before I had written the quarterly!) I'm sure there are other districts that would require something, but even then, your quarterly could be very simple - just one paragraph briefly talking about what you're doing. Since there are no subject requirements, you wouldn't even have to go into detail about each specific content area.

From 1st grade on up, I've learned to streamline the process of reporting and I've never had an issue with my district. To give you an example, on my ds's IHIP, for math, I simply list the textbook I'm using, along with the publisher's name, city & state. Then for each quarterly, I just list the lessons we covered. For this recent quarter, I just wrote "Lessons 51-100." I follow this same pattern for each subject. If there are "non-textbook" subjects, I just state what we did during the quarter. For example, for music, I wrote "Weekly Violin Lessons & Two Group Performances." At the end of the quarterly, I have a paragraph where I write something along the lines that my ds made satisfactory or above progress in all areas. This is my fourth year of reporting and thankfully, everything I've submitted has been accepted without question. At first I thought I had to add much more, but after reading the guide put out by LEAH (containing sample IHIP's and quarterlies), I realized how simple the process could actually be. :001_smile:

Edited by daybreaking

Just report what he is doing and call it K. There aren't any specific requirements for what progress they have to make in the other years either.

Contact your local homeschooling group and see if anyone is able to share a look at their IHIPs or quarterlys. Once you see a couple, you realize they aren't that big a deal.

And I always keep them fairly vague no matter what. I give a couple highlights to make it sound specific, but I don't give any more than necessary.

I might say something like this for a kindergartner in a quarterly report:

Language Arts: Susie is enjoying learning to read. She has completed the last two books of the Explode the Code series. She has been making good progress in First Language Lessons. She is also progressing through Handwriting Without Tears.

Science: Susie is studying life science this year. She has spent the first quarter learning about different animals. We have discussed the differences between mammals, reptiles, fish and birds. She is especially interested in how mother animals care for their babies.

History: Susie is studying Ancient History this year. This quarter we learned about Mesopotamia and Egypt. She enjoyed our cave painting project and making a pyramid from Duplos.

Math: Susie is making good progress in math. She is counting up to 20, has learned her number bonds through 10 and is learning about odd and even numbers.

It's pretty easy. I made all that up off the top of my head after doing it twice with my own kids. I just look at the table of contents of what we have used and pick out a couple things to highlight at random. Now, you will notice that I have a kindy kid using SOTW, a 'first grade' book. The school doesn't know and doesn't care. They just don't. I also had this kindergartner completing ETC, because we had actually started the series last year when this imaginary child was 5. No one will say boo, or they shouldn't.

In the next quarter I might mention that little Susie is reading beginning chapter books out loud as our reading instruction. I might mention MTH or other beginner readers series and say she is reading 30 mins a day as part of school and she is engaging in 20 mins of silent reading in her own time. Whatever.

Thank you! I've read the regs so many times and looked at lots of examples, but I don't know anyone who reported a 6 yo as a kindergartner, so I wasn't sure how it should translate.

It depends on the district. I reported my 6 yo as a kindergartener and when it came time for my quarterly to be due, my district sent me a letter saying I didn't need to submit any paperwork, since there are no requirements in the regs for kindergarten. (Too bad they didn't send it before I had written the quarterly!) I'm sure there are other districts that would require something, but even then, your quarterly could be very simple - just one paragraph briefly talking about what you're doing. Since there are no subject requirements, you wouldn't even have to go into detail about each specific content area.

My district was/is one of my concerns. I know they prefer you use their paperwork (can they require that?), and I've heard a mix about them. We might be in a new district by fall anyway, so I'll play it by ear!

From 1st grade on up, I've learned to streamline the process of reporting and I've never had an issue with my district. To give you an example, on my ds's IHIP, for math, I simply list the textbook I'm using, along with the publisher's name, city & state. Then for each quarterly, I just list the lessons we covered. For this recent quarter, I just wrote "Lessons 51-100." I follow this same pattern for each subject. If there are "non-textbook" subjects, I just state what we did during the quarter. For example, for music, I wrote "Weekly Violin Lessons & Two Group Performances." At the end of the quarterly, I have a paragraph where I write something along the lines that my ds made satisfactory or above progress in all areas. This is my fourth year of reporting and thankfully, everything I've submitted has been accepted without question. At first I thought I had to add much more, but after reading the guide put out by LEAH (containing sample IHIP's and quarterlies), I realized how simple the process could actually be. :001_smile:

Yes, I like the LEAH samples! :D

Edited by Zuzu822

Thank you! I've read the regs so many times and looked at lots of examples, but I don't know anyone who reported a 6 yo as a kindergartner, so I wasn't sure how it should translate.

I was in the same boat as you, as my ds turned 6 in August of his K year. That's what led me to order the LEAH guide, as I needed some guidance. (And that's why I responded to your post. I know what it's like to be just starting out in NY!)

My district was/is one of my concerns. I know they prefer you use their paperwork (can they require that?), and I've heard a mix about them. We might be in a new district by fall anyway, so I'll play it by ear!

Yes, I like the LEAH samples! :D

No, they most definitely cannot require you to use their paperwork. Just make sure you cover all the areas required in the regulations, so they can't come back and say you missed something. The first quarterly I wrote took me days, literally, as I was still learning the process and wanted to ensure I dotted every i and crossed every t. As time progressed, it has gotten so much easier and probably takes me all of 15 minutes, since I use the same form each time and just update the data.

Would you want him to be enrolled at the higher grade if he were to go to a b&m school? Do you want him to graduate from high school at age 17 or 18? Do you think he'll maintain his level of acceleration? Is he working at the higher level across the board, both input-wise *and* output-wise? Would he be able to perform as well a the higher grade level with the added complexity of working in a classroom, with all the organizational and social challenges that may present?

These are the types of questions I think about when deciding what grade to declare.

I was in the same boat as you, as my ds turned 6 in August of his K year. That's what led me to order the LEAH guide, as I needed some guidance. (And that's why I responded to your post. I know what it's like to be just starting out in NY!)

No, they most definitely cannot require you to use their paperwork. Just make sure you cover all the areas required in the regulations, so they can't come back and say you missed something. The first quarterly I wrote took me days, literally, as I was still learning the process and wanted to ensure I dotted every i and crossed every t. As time progressed, it has gotten so much easier and probably takes me all of 15 minutes, since I use the same form each time and just update the data.

I didn't think so! I could feel myself getting all riled up when I saw that the first time, lol!

They do want a lot of information, though it doesn't technically overstep their boundaries, so I'll keep that in mind when the time comes.

Thanks for all your help! :)

They do want a lot of information ...

Yeah, that's something for which you have to watch out. The forms from my district asked for many things that are not required by the regulations (e.g., asking for more details than necessary on performance, listing subject areas not required at the elementary level, such as library skills, etc.). I just politely set them all aside when I received them and went about my business using my own forms. ;)

Give your ds the standardized test according to his "official" grade level, and if he scores way above--I'm thinking into high school--then you could officially skip a grade.

If you're going to use standardized test scores to justify a single grade skip, you need to test at a minimum one grade up and have the child ranked against children one grade older. Then, if the scores are still high (meaning above the 90th percentile), consider the skip.

But there is much more to a grade skip than academic ability and achievement. And I think these things need to be taken into account even if the skip is "only" on paper.

Yeah, that's something for which you have to watch out. The forms from my district asked for many things that are not required by the regulations (e.g., asking for more details than necessary on performance, listing subject areas not required at the elementary level, such as library skills, etc.). I just politely set them all aside when I received them and went about my business using my own forms. ;)

Gosh, I wonder if we're in the same district. :tongue_smilie: I just noticed they do ask for library skills in the 1-6 quarterly report form, and more than is required for health and science too!

As long as your paperwork is filed and meets the requirements and you test at the right time, no one cares. They don't care how well he tests as long as he meets the minimum. They just need to check off a box. I list my kids where they would be if they were enrolled. It is much easier with testing. It is a system. They expect kids of a certain age to be in a certain place. If you start messing with that, you are going to draw attention to yourself. Why do that?

I only tell the school what I must. I don't report anything 'extra' like Latin or Spanish. If it isn't required by the state I don't report it.

:iagree: However, Redsquierrel, I do think that most districts are probably not SO lax as the one you're in, but I agree that you don't want to draw attention to yourself.

So if your child got done with 12th grade at age 16 I would use that time to continue studying at your leisure. That would be a-w-e-s-o-m-e. You could take a whole year and have him study some subject in depth and go easy on math or whatever you want to, as long as he's earning credits necessary to graduate. Do Sonlight's British Literature Core. Get even further ahead so when he does go to college at age 18 (or 19, or 20), he will have that much more education under his belt. Don't worry about getting him "graduated" as young as possible. There's a lot to learn and it's about education, not a race to finish, ya know?

I wouldn't draw attention to yourself or invite a challenge from the school district. Generally, they don't care as long as you are meeting requirements. If your child is doing some 8th grade level work, that's great. If they are doing ALL 8th grade level work, that's great, too. Just report whatever you have to and be truthful, but don't try to impress anybody. I never include latin, religion, etc. LEAH recommends dealing with school districts in this way, and I think it's good advice. If you end up putting him in public school at some point, have him tested at that time and placed in the appropriate grade.

Another reason I wouldn't skip a grade on paper is because you don't want to lock yourself (or your son) into doing higher-level work. There's no good reason I know of to do that. That way if something happens (he slows down, gets stuck, you have a baby, who knows...) you don't have to say, Uh, yeah, well, he can't continue at this pace and I have to report him as 6th grade this year even though I said he was in 6th grade LAST year.. but "ACTUALLY" he would be in 5th grade if he were in public school according to his age anyway...etc, etc. Don't even go there. If that happened, THEN the school district (who might not have said a word about you skipping a grade) might wonder why he didn't "progress" that school year enough to go on to the next grade. If you look at the NY laws there is a some emphasis on "progressing" as well as just meeting requirements. I say just have him do whatever level work makes sense for him and report him at whatever grade level he would be in in public school. Simple. :)