Menu

If your students use planners

How long does it take you to update them? I have all dc 7 and up currently using planners. I double the info in my planner in case there are any questions or lost planners. I went through them today and it took a large amount of time. The oldest is transitioning into planning her own school work, but the other children aren't really that close, yet. Most of our books are just do the next thing, but I have them write their lesson # anyway. I want them to know where they are supposed to be in a given week. We only plan a week in advance, except for Apologia science which is planned two weeks in advance.

Edited by Excelsior! Academy

For mine, they do they do their own starting at age 12. It has to be done by dinner on Sunday so that I can check them.

Obviously they require sitting with me while they do it at first, but gradually they do it with me close by for questions, and then completely on their own.

When I was many states away in September after my mother died, they did their own 100% and then discussed with DH and I over the phone (he schooled them while I was gone).

For mine, they do they do their own starting at age 12. It has to be done by dinner on Sunday so that I can check them.

Obviously they require sitting with me while they do it at first, but gradually they do it with me close by for questions, and then completely on their own.

When I was many states away in September after my mother died, they did their own 100% and then discussed with DH and I over the phone (he schooled them while I was gone).

That is pretty impressive. Maybe I am holding their hands too much.

My oldest 2 completely self-plan (I supply them with a copy of their TOG history and literature assignments and how many math lessons to do each week).

My 11 year old plans her own history and literature. I plan her other subjects.

My youngers receive an Excel spreadsheet at the beginning of each week. Days across the top, subject along the left, and then each day filled in with their assignments for the day. This way they can work ahead if they desire, but the whole week is visible to them. It also helps with my record-keeping because I simply make any needed adjustments at the end of the week, print, and file.

I write all the assignments down in MY planner. Then they will all copy it into their planners. It works well for us.

Me, too. It takes me maybe 20-30 minutes to get planned out and written, and most of that is trying to work teacher-intensive things into my work schedule and leaving the easier things for my substitute.

I plan monthly or quarterly, according to my work schedule. I do this mostly for the benefit of my substitute teacher :) then the kids copy it into their own books. This Main Copy stays in the Teacher's backpack (which is with me on my days off, and left with my sub -including TMs- on my work days).

I adapt it a bit for my 6 year old, whose writing is still huge and only semi-legible -- she's to work from the teacher's planner, and to write in her own planner once she's completed her schoolwork. Hers is more of a record of work done, just to get her used to tracking her work; by 2nd grade or thereabouts, I'll transition her to copying the work into her own planner to use as her guide.

I travel for work, so I also keep a small pocket calendar with the same info written in it. This way, when I call from the road I can have an idea of where they are and what they're doing. I'm also able to help with any questions or discussions they wish to have.

I just stack up any books I need and look at what they finished last week.

It is pretty simple looking because my kids get so overwhelmed.

teaching Textbooks Lesson 30

Spelling Day 20

Italics page 17

history pgs 177, 178

They usually know what to do for Subjects. Like my Grade 6 students knows he reads the pages, looks at the internet links, writes a summary, and draw a picture.

I did this better last year when I had everything on the computer. I would fill out the planner then just print two copies. I would do several weeks at a time, so I don't know how long it would take to just plan it weekly. This year, I'm doing good to just write down what we've done each week on blank planner sheets. :tongue_smilie:

I gave up on planners. I just stack the books and do the next lesson. I call it a day after 5 or 6 subjects. I do finish the books each year and put a sticky note where we should be at the end of each quarter so I know if we need to speed up to avoid lessons in June. We always end up finishing one book in June :glare:

Only my older children now use planners, it was just too time consuming. They love having planners, but it's much easier to just print out a generic assignment sheet and fill in the pages or instructions. By 12 or 13 they've been able to create their own plans with my help. I like the idea of having them copy it out of the parent's planner themselves. I might try that with my 6th grader next year.

My dd13 does her weekly plan entirely independent and does only one week at a time. I'm not even sure how much work she schedules for herself but I know she's moving along in her work because we sit dwn once a month and talk about where she is.

I do ds15's schedule without his input. He has Asperger's and has a hard time wrapping his brain around the concept of scheduling. I will get him involved next year but we're working on other things this year and he doesn't need another stress. I schedule 3 weeks in a row and I use excel, which makes it very easy to move things around when needed. I used to handwrite things but when I discovered how easy it is to use excel, I switched methods. I think it saves me time. I have one document that has 8 pages so I can erase a weekly sheet to put new information in. It takes me about 30 minutes because so much of his work is 'just do the next thing', but it's important for him to have a sheet that tells him exactly what to do every day. He's used to checking off every box as he completes a subject each day. When all the boxes are checked, he's done for the day.