Menu

Anyone else looking at Venus, Jupiter, and the moon

I see nuttin'.

(We're having typical Washington rainy weather.)

I did see them the other day, though, and called DS outside. I pointed to them and said, go inside and find out what they are. He didn't need to go check; he knew they were Jupiter and Venus.

So that's what that line was! : ) We wondered.

:iagree: Thank you! My ds and I were out and enraptured by the view, however couldn't figure out if it was a natural celestial thing, a satellite, or another weird military thing hovering over our city.

I missed it. Any chance there will be a repeat performance tonight?

The next two nights, the moon will still be in the west at twilight and will be near the two planets.

By mid-March, the two planets will get within 5 degrees of each other--that means you could cover both of them up with your outstretched hand. By the end of March, Jupiter will have passed Venus and will be closer to the horizon.

March 24-26ish the moon will once more be shining near the two planets, but this time it will be Venus that is higher in the sky.

Turn a pair of binoculars onto the two planets if you don't have a telescope. If you watch Venus over time, you will see that it is going through the same stages as the moon--crescent, half, whole. And if you look at Jupiter, you might be able to see up to four star-like pin pricks of light which are Jupiter's 4 largest moons.

Enjoy!

Jean

Edited by Jean in Wisc

They are in a line. We have both our telescopes out tonight. The view is almost as good without them.

Which one is the closest to the moon? I have been watching that 'star' planet closest to the moon (we're in AL) for 2 years now...and sometimes there is a 2nd bright 'body' a bit of a distance away...so are both of those the planets? Or are they a bright star? I'm confused! I'm horrible at reading constellation maps!

We saw them tonight- gorgeous!! BY the time we got home and got the telescope out, Venus had set, but we saw Jupiter and four moons. We also checked out Mars and Sirius tonight.

If you have a smart phone, one of our favorite apps is Google Sky. With it, you can point your phone at the sky and it will identify the constellations and stars and planets. It has helped my boys learn a lot of star names in the constellations!

Which one is the closest to the moon? I have been watching that 'star' planet closest to the moon (we're in AL) for 2 years now...and sometimes there is a 2nd bright 'body' a bit of a distance away...so are both of those the planets? Or are they a bright star? I'm confused! I'm horrible at reading constellation maps!

The moon moves through the sky at a different speed than the stars. If you check http://earthsky.org/tonight, they often will show you where the moon is and what stars it is close to. Last night it was closer to Jupiter than to Venus. Tonight the moon will be even further away from Jupiter as it is moving a little further to the east each night.

Planets normally look like bright stars when viewing them with the naked eye. Venus and Jupiter are the brightest planets, but Jupiter will fade in brightness as the months go buy since we will be moving further away from it throughout 2012. Venus will swing back around the sun over the next few months and then it will appear in the morning sky just before sunrise.

By this time next month, Jupiter will have moved further west. She will pass Venus, and Jupiter will be closer to the horizon than Venus. If you go out and to take a look at them each night that it is clear over the next month, you will see Jupiter grow closer and closer to Venus and then move on closer to the horizon.

Enjoy!

Jean