Menu

My LDL and some other numbers HIGH!? hive help?

I turn 50 in a bit, and have always been overweight, done the ups and downs with fad diets, but food was my love.

UNTIL..............

I had full physical last week, blood and all, (and all)!

my LDL is 250? and the other one that is supposed to be about 70, is 120? As my doctor whom I love was speaking I was hearing a roar.....as one of my best friends had a heart attack 2 weeks ago. She and I are the same age.

It was like a smack hard, woman wake up and be good.

So dear hive, I drank my first green smoothie today, and I liked it! I am determined to change my life style...

so what I am asking is for your favorite blogs, sites, and recipes that help you stay thinking healthy for yourself and your family.

250 is my triglycerides

my ldl was 170, sorry, got them backwards, today is my 2nd day learning about them?:001_huh:

Ahh, that makes more sense. You know, not everyone agrees about the "badness" of high cholesterol. But high triglycerides are, as far as I know, universally recognized as "bad". Eliminating sugar and reducing carbs are often very successful in reducing triglycerides.

I wish you well in your journey with health.

Ahh, that makes more sense. You know, not everyone agrees about the "badness" of high cholesterol. But high triglycerides are, as far as I know, universally recognized as "bad". Eliminating sugar and reducing carbs are often very successful in reducing triglycerides.

I wish you well in your journey with health.

:iagree: Triglycerides can be lowered if you reduce sugar dramatically and also cut out or reduce carb consumption in general. It is tough to find someone who low carbs and has triglycerides over 100.

Particle size is something to consider with LDL. If you have higher triglycerides, they generally calculate your VLDL (very low density lipoprotein, which is small and sticky and thought to be more problematic) to be high. Look into VLDL. You don't want high VLDL.

Edited by Momof3littles

I have lots of tips and will post them tomorrow if you're interested.

I am so interested!! please please!!

I am cutting processed sugar 100% as of two days ago, only sugars from fruit!

I keep hearing conflicting things re: ATKINS and low FAt, and I want to do this for a life time, not just a quick fix? I have momentum of this decision and my family is all for it also!

I keep hearing conflicting things re: ATKINS and low FAt, and I want to do this for a life time, not just a quick fix? I have momentum of this decision and my family is all for it also!

I'm a long-term Atkins fan. FTR, my 300+ cholesterol was after 6 months on a low-fat diet. Just sayin'...:-)

You can probably check out the book from your local library.

I agree Low carb is how you lower your Tri, and up your HDL. Find out what type LDL you have, big fluffy ones or small dense ones. Take Omega 3 cod liver oil. Stop the sugar and carbs. Then go get retested. I'm quite sure they will improve, if you do that stuff.

Did the doc recommend going on meds, or trying diet/lifestyle changes first?

I would most surely try the diet/exercise changes first; going on meds AND diet changes will surely lower the numbers, but how will she know which one worked?

I don't have any personal experience with lowering these numbers by going low carb, but I have sure read enough of ppl who have...just saying.

~coffee~

I love my doctor! I have lost 3 pounds from our first check up 2 weeks ago, prior to labs coming back. She thinks I am one that diet and exercise will change the levels. I go back to her in 3 months. I am so motivated for this! I want to go natural, without having to take meds!

Everything else on my lab work was clean and healthy, so I want to be in this area also!

Thank you all for such great advice, it really is being read and pondered and used!

:iagree: Triglycerides can be lowered if you reduce sugar dramatically and also cut out or reduce carb consumption in general. It is tough to find someone who low carbs and has triglycerides over 100.

This is the road dh took. His trigs went from over 1100 to less than 100. It took awhile; he also exercises a lot, jogging/walking mostly. We tried low fat a la the Ornish diet but that only decreased his trigs to 500. His total cholesterol is still over 200 (he stopped taking those meds years ago) but we suspect a genetic component as his mom has high cholesterol, too. Interestingly she decided to stop her cholesterol meds and her numbers got better.

Yes, that is the problem. There is not a consensus. The one thing virtually every nutritional researcher agrees on is low/no refined sugar.

Okay, I'll start sharing my very long list of tips. Sorry this is overwhelming. :tongue_smilie:

High cholesterol is a warning sign. But that’s all. If your cholesterol is high, look at its components, HDL and LDL. After that, look at your diet and your exposure to substances that cause oxidation to see whether or not you should make a few lifestyle changes. Don’t just reach for a prescription.

I have been reading that the whole cholesterol thing is a myth, and that cholesterol by itself, does not lead to heart disease. You can do a search about this online. I feel that hypertension is a far more serious threat to heart health than cholesterol. There’s a reason why it’s called “the silent killerâ€.

Many believe that the drug companies like Lipitor have had a hand in this cholesterol scare.

The Swedes have said that the cholesterol business is the cash cow for the USA.

The anti-cholesterol medications that doctors prescribe have so many side effects that sooner or later you need another prescription.

I believe in avoiding statins if at all possible. Statins do way more harm than good.

Some cholesterol is necessary. It encapsulates the nerves.

A Cholesterol level under 200 is best.

However, what’s most important is not the actual number, but the levels of HDL (healthy, good cholesterol – the higher your HDL, the better) and the levels of LDL (bad, unhealthy cholesterol – the lower, the better).

If HDL is lower than35 mg/dl, you may be in danger.

Total cholesterol

Under 200 is desirable

LDL

Optimal – Less than 100

Near Optimal – 100-129

HDL

Ideal HDL – As high as possible. Aim for at least 40.

TC/HDL

Ideally, the result should be less than 4

Results higher than 5 suggest a possible cholesterol problem

Triglycerides

Triglycerides are the most common fat in the body. They can be an independent and compounding cause of heart disease. Even if your cholesterol numbers are normal, you may still be in danger of developing cardiovascular disease if your triglycerides are high. What’s more statin drugs aren’t very effective at lowering them.

High triglyceride levels are commonly linked to metabolic syndrome (or prediabetes), Type 2 diabetes, inflammation of the pancreas, liver problems in which fatty acids are poorly broken down and utilized, and even thyroid dysfunction.

If you have a roll of fat above your waistline, you probably have high triglycerides. Get a blood test to see.

Fast for at least 12 hours prior to blood testing for triglycerides. And be aware that taking vitamin C and certain medications— even before that 12-hour fast — can throw off your triglyceride level, resulting in an inaccurate reading.

Lower than 150 is desirable, and under 100 is ideal.

Even more important is the triglyceride/HDL (â€goodâ€) cholesterol ratio, which should be below 5 (triglycerides divided by your HDL number).

Triglycerides are relatively easy to control.

One cardiologist said how he’s seen patients’ triglyceride levels fall from 400 to less than 100 and their HDL levels rise significantly by simple lifestyle changes (below).

Triglycerides and HDL cholesterol are the “lifestyle lipids†because they are so responsive to everyday health habits.

WHAT RAISES TRIGLYCERIDES

Eating too many sweets (including HFCS)

Drinking too much alcohol

Being overweight

Not getting enough exercise

HOW TO LOWER

Eat as few processed and fried foods as possible

Limit high-fat meals

Limit simple carbohydrates and sugars like fruit juice, white potatoes, candy, and white pasta – your body converts empty calories it doesn’t need into triglycerides

Even too much fruit can raise triglycerides in some people

Fish Oil (make sure to get a good brand, such as Carlson’s) and other sources of omega-3 fatty acids – salmon and sardines – are natural and effective triglyceride fighters

Cinnamon is another effective triglyceride fighter. Sprinkle it on appropriate foods.

Exercise more often and more intensely

Lose weight

If all else fails, a class of drugs called fibrates, as well as prescription niacin, can bring triglycerides down.

EAT MORE

Pectin is found in many fruits and vegetables – such as citrus fruits (particularly grapefruit), tomatoes, potatoes, and spinach.

Pectin is also found in beans. In one experiment, men who ate 1 ½ cups of cooked beans a day lowered their cholesterol by 20 per cent in just three weeks. Try to have at least one cup of cooked beans every day. All beans including kidney beans, lima beans, black-eyed peas, and lentils are good.

Increase your fiber

You should be getting at least 30g of fiber a day

Fiber helps flush cholesterol from your system

Soluble Fiber is found in oats, dried beans, peas, lentils, some fruits and vegetables, oat bran, corn, barley, and brown rice.

Soluble fiber reduces and controls cholesterol levels. It reduces the LDL (bad) cholesterol.

Try to eat 2/3 cup of oat bran cereal or one cup of beans per day.

Although oat bran has more soluble fiber, oatmeal can also lower cholesterol.

Increase your fiber... you should be getting at least 30g of fiber a day. Fiber helps flush these from your system.

Carrots

Try to eat two carrots a day. Some have lowered their cholesterol levels by 10 to 20 percent just by eating two carrots a day.

Foods Rich in Omega-3s

Walnuts

Chia Seeds

Fatty Fish (wild, not farmed) - salmon, tuna, sardines

Pumpkins

Green, leafy vegetables

Butter and Coconut Oil do not cause heart disease.

Eat a Mediterranean diet – it contains olive oil that raises good and lowers harmful cholesterols. It’s rich in omega-3 fatty acids and includes fatty fish, walnuts, pumpkin seeds, flax, and green leafy veggies. Other nuts have some omega-3 fats but not as much as walnuts.

A Mediterranean diet is high in vegetable protein (beans, peas, and lentils) and low in animal protein. Choose low-fat animal protein and white-meat poultry.

Wheat Germ is very good too – a few tablespoons a day

Sesame seeds do an incredible job of lowering blood pressure and cholesterol Cook with sesame oil and eat sesame seeds every day.

Plain, Greek-Style Yogurt lowers cholesterol absorption

Green Tea contains several active bioflavonoids, which promote capillary and small vessel strength – great for overall heart health – supports the heart

Stimulates bile secretion and helps body eliminate excessive cholesterol – helps decrease total cholesterol, harmful LDL and triglycerides – it also appears to increase HDL

Helps stabilize blood sugar

Try to buy organic green tea when you can, and store your tea in a dark, dry place.

Half cup cooked tomatoes (cooked with olive oil) daily or at least twice a week.

Lowers LDL and increases HDL

Works like aspirin in reducing risk of heart attack and stroke

Almonds and Other Nuts

Large handful (2.5 ounces or about 50 nuts) a day

Eating a handful of nuts 5 or more times a week can reduce your risk of developing heart disease.

Reach for almonds, hazelnuts, pecans, pistachios, macadamia nuts, and walnuts. These are packed with monounsaturated fatty acids that raise HDL while lowering LDL. Like a broom, these fats help HDL sweep the cholesterol buildup to the liver for excretion.

Snack on these nuts or sprinkle them in salads and stir-fries. Sprinkle walnuts over a salad or toss with roasted root vegetables.

Apples, Red Onions, Tea, Capers, Cabbage, Buckwheat, Red Grapes – these are all high in quercetin which helps high cholesterol

If you want to help keep your blood pressure and cholesterol levels in the normal range, start eating half a raw onion every day.

Without enough cholin, cholesterol levels are usually high.

Cholin cuts heart disease risk

Found in eggs, fish, collard greens, beans, liver, wheat germ kidneys, fish, lentils, spinach, cabbage, lettuce, leafy greens, wheat germ, whole wheat bread, whole grain cereals

One large egg yolk has 27% of your daily cholin need.

Garlic

Lowers cholesterol while increasing HDL (healthy) cholesterol and reducing LDL (bad) cholesterol

Can be used in food or in capsules

For artery health, take at least two cloves of garlic a day.

If you’re already taking any blood thinner, don’t use more than 1 clove of garlic a day

Garlic is a powerful anticoagulant, and high amounts could thin your blood too much - other than this, garlic is very safe

For the same reason, stop taking garlic one to two weeks before surgery

Vegetable Juices – there are many that help lower cholesterol

Eggs

Because eggs are rich in lecithin, you can still continue to eat them. Lecithin is wonderful for cholesterol.

Liver is fine also – especially from grass-fed animals. It not only contains lecithin, vitamin B6, cholin and inositol, but also has less saturated fat than any other meat.

Your body needs a certain amount of “good†cholesterol. Low-fat and low-cholesterol diets have often achieved the opposite from what was hoped. Low-cholesterol diets throw the liver into a frenzy of cholesterol-producing activity, causing the amount in the blood to decrease. People who have successfully reduced their cholesterol levels dramatically have continued to eat eggs and liver. Doctors often tell their patients to avoid such excellent foods as eggs, liver, kidneys, butter, and whole milk. These foods, especially liver, supply the very nutrients needed to reduce cholesterol. When no cholesterol is obtained from the diet, the body produces cholesterol far more rapidly than when the intake is high.

Chia Seeds

Rich in essential fats (EFAs), chia seed offers a healthy balance—30% omega 3s and 40% omega 6s.

It’s also a great source of both soluble and insoluble fiber, swelling in water and providing a feeling of fullness while helping to sweep toxins out of the intestinal tract for a safe detox.

Equally important, studies show that chia seed slows down how quickly the body converts carbohydrates into sugar. These seeds reduce belly fat, which has been linked to diabetes and heart disease, and fight insulin resistance, a precursor to Type 2 diabetes.

Sprinkle 2 to 3 tablespoons on salads, veggies or add to frappes or smoothies, soups, and stews and watch your energy soar and elimination increase.

Studies show that soluble fiber lowers cholesterol. And since chia seed has been found to reduce belly fat and diabetes, it also helps protect your heart.

One of the few vegetable forms of omega-3 fat, chia seeds unlike flax do not need to be ground or toasted. Chia is also very shelf stable, so it doesn’t need expensive packaging to prevent rancidity. Flax seeds, another great source of omega-3, should be ground for optimum digestion as well as toasted to eliminate troublesome substances that can interfere with thyroid function.

Saturated fats help raise HDL

Coconut Oil and Fermented Grass-Fed Butter are good options

You don’t need too much – just a tablespoon a day or so

EAT LESS

Refined Sugar is often said to be the worst thing for people with high cholesterol.

http://www.thecholesterolscoop.com/sugar-cholesterol.php

Manage your blood sugar and cholesterol numbers will improve

Sugar has been shown to lead to fatty liver disease and clump your blood, and hurt your liver's ability to process cholesterol

Foods High in Omega-6s (which cause inflammation)

Red meat - especially if it is produced by industrial farming techniques and if it does not carry an “omega-3†label

Dairy products (other than plain yogurt)

Eggs not marked “omega-3â€

Sunflower oil

Corn oil

Safflower oil

Soybean oil

Coffee

Cholesterol levels have been found to be dramatically higher in people who drink two or more cups of coffee per day.

Trans fats – “partially hydrogenated†or “hydrogenated†– usually found in cookies, cakes, crackers, artificial cheese, and margarine

Low-fat and fat-free food items many times mean more sugar added to make up for it

Read your labels, watch for sugar – sugar often falls under other names. Try to avoid anything with more than 12 grams of sugar per serving or that has sugar listed in the first 5 ingredients.

Another reason to avoid low-fat and fat-free foods – healthy and good fats help satiate you

LDL cholesterol is harmful when it’s combined with oxygen and becomes oxidized. This form of cholesterol is called oxysterols. Oxysterols can form plaque in arteries and lead to heart attacks and stroke.

Antioxidants are some of the most important nutrients for a healthy heart. They fight and destroy oxidants. You want more anti-oxidants and fewer pro-oxidants.

You get oxysterols from your diet and environment. Dietary sources include: Powdered milk and powdered eggs

You do eat them if you eat a lot of processed foods and salad dressing

Reheated oils are filled with oxysterols – they’re used to make French fries, potato chips, donuts, and other deep fried foods

When hamburgers and eggs are cooked at high temperatures, they produce oxysterols

Cook your foods with a lower flame to avoid these pro-oxidants.

SUPPLEMENTS

I like to get my supplements from vitacost.com and amazon

You don’t need to try every single supplement, nor all of them at once. This depends on your budget and needs. My top 2 are niacin and fish oil. The rest are optional and depend on your diet. If you follow the above dietary guidelines as much as possible, you may not need the others.

Niacin

• Raises good HDL cholesterol and lowers triglycerides.

• It enlarges the smallest, densest, most dangerous particles so they’re less likely to damage arteries

• Brings down levels of another harmful component of blood called lipoprotein (a), which is resistant to the benefits of statins, diet, and exercise

You can’t get enough niacin in your diet to achieve the above results.

To gain a cardiovascular benefit, you need at least 500 mg.

At this dosage, many commonly experience flushing, which subsides within an hour. So, it’s best to avoid taking it right before leaving the house or going to sleep. These symptoms can be minimized if the niacin is taken with aspirin or a meal.

In fact, flushing is a positive sign that blood vessels are dilating in response to the niacin, and patients who flush ultimately raise their HDLs and lower their triglycerides more than those who don’t flush.

Niacin is more effective than niacinamide.

CAUTION:

• Do not take more than 2000 mg daily. Very high doses can damage the liver. One capsule of 500 mg per day is the usual recommendation.

• Be careful if you have prediabetes or diabetes. Niacin can raise levels of blood glucose. This effect is generally mild, though, and doesn’t outweigh its heart-protecting benefits. But it’s good to consult with your doctor before taking it.

• Also use caution if pregnant, have glaucoma, gout, liver disease, or peptic ulcers.

A good fish oil – such as Carlson’s - Take 1000 mg of fish oil

If you have high blood pressure, high triglycerides, or other signs of heart disease, 3-5 grams may be more helpful.

Talk with your doctor or pharmacist if you’re taking medications to make sure there are no negative interactions. Fish oils thin the blood just like aspirin, gingko biloba, and garlic. You don’t want to thin your blood so much that it causes bleeding.

Omega-3s keeps inflammation in your body in check

Some of the many conditions linked to inflammation in the body, include:

Heart Disease

Metabolic syndrome

Obesity

Type 2 diabetes

Omega-3's help:

Decrease risk of heart disease and sudden death

Raise HDL (good) cholesterol and lowering resting heart rates and triglyceride levels.

Reduce severity of diabetes by balancing blood sugar and high insulin levels

Trim dangerous belly fat linked to both cardiovascular disease and Type 2 diabetes

Weight loss

Reduce cravings for the wrong kinds of fat – such as those found in desserts and milk-based products

Improve liver health and function

Anyone with chronic kidney disease, which ups the risk for heart disease, may see improvements in blood pressure and heart rate after taking omega 3 fats

DO NOT TAKE FISH OILS IF YOU ARE ON ANY BLOOD THINNER. OR WITHIN 2 WEEKS OF ANY PLANNED SURGERY. OR IF YOUR DOCTOR ADVISES YOU NOT TO TAKE.

I have a list of far more supplements, but the above two are the best, IMHO. If you'd like me to share more from my list, I can do so.

Magnesium deficiency is common in those with heart disease.

Helps muscles, including the heart, relax

Lowers total and LDL cholesterol and triglycerides, while raising HDL (good) cholesterol

Appears to reduce high blood pressure, cutting the risk of heart attack and stroke

Lessens the risk of heart arrhythmia and limits the complications of congestive heart failure

Magnesium, a natural calcium channel blocker, is an effective treatment for heart attacks and cardiac arrhythmias. An astounding number of studies have documented the effectiveness of IV magnesium in helping prevent cardiac damage and even death following a heart attack. The reason for this is that 40 to 60 percent of sudden deaths from heart attack are the result of spasm in the arteries, not blockage from clots or arrhythmias!

Without adequate magnesium, blood vessels constrict and blood pressure increases.

Most of us are deficient in magnesium

HOW MUCH TO TAKE

400-1200 mg daily of Magnesium is helpful but use according to bowel tolerance. Take in divided doses and with meals to ensure optimal absorption.

Magnesium and many other minerals are best absorbed when they are bound to an acidic carrier such as citrate, aspartate, picolinate, or amino acid chelate. Minerals need an acidic base to break down and get used.

The most absorbable forms are magnesium citrate, glycinate taurate, or aspartate, although magnesium bound to Kreb cycle chelates (malate, succinate, fumarate) are also good.

Avoid magnesium carbonate, oxide, sulfate, gluconate, and oxide. They are poorly absorbed (and the cheapest and most common forms found in supplements).

Side effects from too much magnesium include diarrhea, which can be avoided if you switch to magnesium glycinate.

Most minerals are best taken as a team with other minerals in a multi-mineral formula.

People with kidney disease or severe heart disease should take magnesium only under a doctor's supervision.

Garlic

Lowers cholesterol while increasing HDL (healthy) cholesterol and reducing LDL (bad) cholesterol

Can be used in food or in capsules

For artery health, take 200 to 300 milligrams three times a day

If you’re already taking any blood thinner, don’t use more than 1 clove of garlic a day, or talk with your physician or pharmacist about supplements

Garlic is a powerful anticoagulant, and high amounts could thin your blood too much - other than this, garlic is very safe

For the same reason, stop taking garlic one to two weeks before surgery

EXERCISE

Regular, Brisk Exercise such as one hour of walking at least three times a week will work wonders. More physical exercise helps raise your HDL cholesterol and lower your LDL cholesterol.

OTHER TIPS

Small, Frequent Meals

Try to eat smaller and more frequent meals rather than a few big meals. Cholesterol soars when only one or two meals are eaten daily. It decreases when small, frequent meals are obtained.

Relaxation can lower cholesterol

GOOD BOOKS

Food Rules by Michael Pollan is one of my absolute favorite and most easy-to-read, practical health books ever

I have not yet read, but really do want to – Real Food by Nina Planck

:thumbup:Thank you so much!! :thumbup:

I read and re-read and feel so much more up to speed on this. I am going to print my levels out and go back and read again. I have to admit your sentence about butter not being a cause made me smile!! :eek: I was ready to say no to it completely!

I did get some omega 3 gel tabs, and think this is something I needed already for my achy joints, my doc advised and gave me calcium and vit d already. I am gonna wait on the niacin.

I go back in 3months for a recheck, and am not going to get on the scale til then either. I am walking 20-30 minutes a day, and plan on pumping that up with my kidlets this upcoming week.

Yeah to fish and oh cranraisens? :001_tt1: Spinach smoothies with peanut butter have become an addiction already! :drool5:

:thumbup:Thank you AGAIN!! :thumbup: