Menu

brang, brung, and tooken

I fat all of the cookies in the bag.

Her logic is sit-sat, fit-fat :tongue_smilie:

:D That's cute!

OP: I've been wondering the same thing lately. My eldest was never taught oral usage or verb tenses. He just picked them up perfectly somehow. If I ever did correct his usage, it was a one time thing when he was a toddler. Dd6, however, is really going to have to work at it. I probably correct her at least 3-4 times a day.

I hear lots of brung and tooken, along with snook, teached, and (even still, after hundreds of corrections) goed. :ack2:

How are y'all correcting them? If you just tell them every time, they have no incentive to change. After I've told them "enough" times (not sure how I reach THAT point), I say, "tooken?" and they fix it themselves. Now, I have one whose main control with me is to say it wrong anyway. I still just do the same thing. I'm figuring it'll be old to say it wrong on purpose one day. I hope.

I have to admit, "tooken" is like fingernails on a blackboard for me. Now, my DS used to say "mook" instead of "made" when he was in preschool, as in, "Look what I mook at school today!" LOL! I never corrected him, he figured it out on his own, but I kind of miss it. :tongue_smilie:

How are y'all correcting them? If you just tell them every time, they have no incentive to change. After I've told them "enough" times (not sure how I reach THAT point), I say, "tooken?" and they fix it themselves. Now, I have one whose main control with me is to say it wrong anyway. I still just do the same thing. I'm figuring it'll be old to say it wrong on purpose one day. I hope.

Well I don't know about other homes, But here when ds says tooken I say "tooken is not a word, we say taken" and I have him repeat his phrase with taken. you would think after this many years he would just say it right the first time, obviously he is tired of my correction because now he says "That's just the way I say it, I am not changing it". I have tried the way you suggested and he looked at me and said "yes, tooken" :glare: The last time he got snooty with me about how he was going to keep using the word I flat out told him that if he keeps it up people are just going to think he is stupid. I still correct him, but refuse to make it a power struggle.

My DS had a speech delay and while he is now within the normal limits, he still struggles with irregular verbs & nouns. I have actually been considering looking through some special ed catalogs like Linguisystems to see if there is a workbook or something specifically designed for this issue.

Well I don't know about other homes, But here when ds says tooken I say "tooken is not a word, we say taken" and I have him repeat his phrase with taken. you would think after this many years he would just say it right the first time, obviously he is tired of my correction because now he says "That's just the way I say it, I am not changing it". I have tried the way you suggested and he looked at me and said "yes, tooken" :glare: The last time he got snooty with me about how he was going to keep using the word I flat out told him that if he keeps it up people are just going to think he is stupid. I still correct him, but refuse to make it a power struggle.

Yup, ans she says, "Brought. I know. I know. I know." :D

The conversation is almost hilarious now because it's always the same. But she just can't correct herself before hand.