Menu

Can I sell used CDs? (copyright laws...)

I'm decluttering. Again.

We have 100s of CDs that have been transferred to the computer. We never use the actual CDs anymore. Is it legal to sell them? If not, what can I do with them? If I can't sell them, I guess I can't donate them to Goodwill, because they couldn't sell them either.

I hate to send them to the landfill.

Huh. Good question. We did the same thing last year. But, we ended up donating them to Goodwill. I wonder what they did with them!

ETA: On the Goodwill Valuation Guide (http://www.goodwill.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/Donation_Valuation_Guide.pdf) it has them listed. So, I'm assuming you must be able to donate them at least.

I think it would be fine to donate them as long as you didn't make a copy. It's the copying part that I'm worried is the problem.

That's an interesting question. We have tons of CD's (homeschool-related, games, etc.) that we never use anymore and will never use again. Does that mean it's okay to sell them? If we make sure a copy is not on our computer's hard file?

Yes, as long as you don't save a copy.

I think about that sometimes too. But, now that we have the Cloud on iProducts, wouldn't the music still be there even if the computer crashed? I hope so!

Only the music that you bought from itunes. If you lose the hard drive storing your ripped music, then you will lose the music.

"You can sell or give away the original CD, but only as long as you no longer have any copies of the music in any format (unless of course you have another copy that has been legitimately paid for). You can not copy the CD onto your computer and load MP3’s of it onto your portable MP3 player, and then give the original CD to your best friend because you don’t need it any more.

Think of it like you bought a couch. You can use the couch in your living room if you want. You can move it to a bedroom if it works better for you there. You can remove the throw pillows and use them in a different room than the couch. But, when you give the couch to your friend, the couch is gone. You can’t *both* give the couch away *and* keep the couch at the same time, and the music that you buy should be treated the same way."

this is #4 from here: http://netsecurity.about.com/od/securitylegislation/a/mp3myths.htm

Like others, we put everything on the computer for ease of use and put the originals in storage. If we don't want something anymore we delete it and give away or sell the disc.

I don't see why it's an issue, IMHO.

The music industry won't see any "profit" from a used sale so whether or not you have previously copied, have a current copy, or intend to copy the music is really negligible. You could have had a copy, but then lost it. Had a copy then thrown it out or fed it to an animal. Used it as a discus. It's really irrelevant. The copyright law IMO is out-dated. Are we to fear giving discs out to friends to share music in fear they might copy the disc?

IMHO, I would save what you want, make sure you have a good back-up, and then either put the CDs in a CD-storage binder, or get rid of them- whether you donate or sell I feel like it is not important imho.

Honestly, I don't support the music industry any more. Times like this I don't want to support any entertainment industry. Really, such a waste.

The music industry won't see any "profit" from a used sale so whether or not you have previously copied, have a current copy, or intend to copy the music is really negligible. You could have had a copy, but then lost it. Had a copy then thrown it out or fed it to an animal. Used it as a discus. It's really irrelevant. The copyright law IMO is out-dated. Are we to fear giving discs out to friends to share music in fear they might copy the disc?

IMHO, I would save what you want, make sure you have a good back-up, and then either put the CDs in a CD-storage binder, or get rid of them- whether you donate or sell I feel like it is not important imho.

Honestly, I don't support the music industry any more. Times like this I don't want to support any entertainment industry. Really, such a waste.

Because if you give the disc to someone else you prevent them from buying it themselves and therefore prevent the artist from making money on that sale. If a person buys something from you they still bought it. It doesn't negate a sale. It just passes it along to the next purchaser.

The music industry won't see any "profit" from a used sale so whether or not you have previously copied, have a current copy, or intend to copy the music is really negligible.

But it would see a profit if the person would have to buy the new CD instead of a used one.

It is against the law, period.

As somebody who knows artists and software developers, I know that illegal copying is not a crime against a faceless "industry", it harms the artist or developer directly.

But it would see a profit if the person would have to buy the new CD instead of a used one.

It is against the law, period.

As somebody who knows artists and software developers, I know that illegal copying is not a crime against a faceless "industry", it harms the artist or developer directly.

:iagree:

if they are legal copies you purchased -yes, you can resell them. you didn't bootleg them. (those are illegal.)

Heaven's, I go sell stuff to half-price books. I've sold items on craigslist or ebay. or garage sales.

You missed that these are discs that are copied onto the computer and still being used. You can sell things you are finished using as long as you don't keep a copy.

I think about that sometimes too. But, now that we have the Cloud on iProducts, wouldn't the music still be there even if the computer crashed? I hope so!

Do you have a back-up for your hard drive in case of a crash? We back up everything... but I also keep the CDs. But then again... I may be a pack rat. So I'm probably not a good example.