Menu

Big ol' hairy vent! Feel free to add your own

That's a fact, IbbyJack.

Right on! :thumbup:

As long as he's tossing me around like that pole, I could care less. :tongue_smilie:Plus, you don't want to hear the Queen's English when there's that much skin involved.

:lol::lol::lol: hahahahhaha You literally made me laugh out loud. hehehehe

And justamouse - I have to say, your links are terrific. And if I hadn't been studying them so closely I might have missed the cool fact that your son is going to work the PGA tour. Golf is a Scottish game you know... surely you've bought a kilt for him?!!!

I"m ashamed I didn't even notice any writing at all in her post! hehehehe anim_hubbahubba.gif Were there words??? :blushing:

What are words I only know about X, which I did fine. I don't know what it says about math that I find it easier to do while drinking.

Hey I found X once! Yeah. It was here....

find-x-here-it-is.png

Oh gosh, I have a funny story about becoming better with schoolwork while drinking. I don't want to take the attention away from you though.:grouphug: If you want to hear it though I'll tell you. :)

LOL

My dream is to be a cat though.

Yeah... but cleaning yourself with your tongue... blech.

(When I was under 10, my mom told me that a cat licking you was like a kiss, so I was trying to kiss my cat in "her language". Fur is soft... but blech overall.)

Now being a cat during Egyptian times... not too bad... :)

Of course I want to hear it.

Okay, I'll try to be as brief as possible because I'm Cuban and if I don't stop myself I will literally talk forever and ever.:tongue_smilie:

So I had taken 2 years of German in community college. I could understand a lot but still was slow and clumsy in conversation and didn't feel confident speaking to anyone in German.

I went to Europe and was in Belgium in a pub. I had never been in a pub before and I don't drink beer either, but I figured when in Rome (or in this case Belgium)... So I ordered a black beer called Leffe and I was travelling with a friend who was a native German speaker and the Belgians there all spoke German. Well, they were asking me where I was from and I was trying to make small talk and tell them about my state etc in my poor German. They were kind of understanding me and my friend was translating the rest for me that I was saying wrong.

Well, it turned out that those beers were actually really good. So I ordered another one. I figured I'd better enjoy them while there because we couldn't get those back home in the states and we were walking distance from the hostel we were staying at and plus everyone knows rum is stronger than beer right?

Well, after my third Leffe, I was getting a lot more confident in my German speaking and was talking more and by the fourth, they were cracking up laughing and the guy who was sitting next to me told me that my German was getting better and better with every beer I drank. lol Everyone in the pub was laughing with him and we were cracking up too.. It was funny. I had such a hangover the next day! :ack2:, but it was just really funny how my German improved so much with the beer. I guess Germans and beer really do go together. :p

So that's my story. :) I wish it worked for other languages. I really wish I could speak Portuguese well. I drank some port hoping, but it didn't work. :glare::tongue_smilie:

Edited by Ibbygirl

I really wish I could speak Portuguese well. I drank some port hoping, but it didn't work. :glare::tongue_smilie:

That is a great story!

Come up here, my Mom, aunt and two friends can drink port with you and brush you up on your Portuguese. You know what, it's icy here, how bout we come down there? :tongue_smilie:

:lol: :lol:

Great story!!! I stuck around to hear it. Now, I am to bed.

:) Glad it made you laugh and I'm gladder still that you're feeling better. Nighty nite! :) :grouphug:

That is a great story!

Come up here, my Mom, aunt and two friends can drink port with you and brush you up on your Portuguese. You know what, it's icy here, how bout we come down there? :tongue_smilie:

Are you Portuguese?? Cool! Sure come on down here. Florida can be pretty miserable at other times of the year, but in winter it's glorious. :) I can read Portuguese and understand a lot, but I just can't pronounce it well or speak it. Whenever I try to speak Portuguese it just comes out Spanish. :p lol

Ibby - You could come and try some sake and see if it helps you learn Japanese
Oooh I can't drink sake. It gives me an instant headache. Champagne too!

. . . let's see what else could you try? Vodka for Russian. . .

I can't drink that one either. My brother once bought a gallon sized jug of Albertson's vodka (grocery store brand) for 8 dollars when he was despondent over breaking up with his girlfriend who was his first love. He didn't want to drink alone so he invited me to join him. I have never ever been so sick in my life before or since. I can't even smell vodka without feeling sick. post-1037-1211195140.gif

Ouzo for Greek. . . should we give our kids wine to improve their Latin skills? :D

I've never had ouzo, but wine yes. :) I grew up drinking wine with dinner, it never helped me learn Latin though. hehehee

Ay, ya'll are going to think I'm a total lush! lol I'm not really. I like my rum, but I only drink a little bit and never drink more than one and don't get tipsy either. I just like how it makes your belly warm and it relaxes you. I hate feeling drunk though. :ack2:

:) Glad it made you laugh and I'm gladder still that you're feeling better. Nighty nite! :) :grouphug:

Are you Portuguese?? Cool! Sure come on down here. Florida can be pretty miserable at other times of the year, but in winter it's glorious. :) I can read Portuguese and understand a lot, but I just can't pronounce it well or speak it. Whenever I try to speak Portuguese it just comes out Spanish. :p lol

I'm .50 Brazilian. I used to speak it fluently. But I understand it, and I understand Spanish, I just can't speak either. :001_smile:

Well it'll be perfect then, because they all speak Spanish and Portuguese. So you can mix it all up and you'll all understand eachother.

I'm .50 Brazilian. I used to speak it fluently. But I understand it, and I understand Spanish, I just can't speak either. :001_smile:

Well it'll be perfect then, because they all speak Spanish and Portuguese. So you can mix it all up and you'll all understand eachother.

LOL That's what I pretty much do when I meet Portuguese speakers. They speak to me in Portuguese and I answer them in Spanish. lol

Thank you all for this thread! Elegant Lion- I think I saw you up there when I was on the ledge; glad you are in bed now.

And the inebriati! I knew it! And now I know about drinking appropriate beverages to increase language fluency. I know I speak better Spanish when I am really really sleepy. Off to raid the liquor cabinet (hubby the Scot always has some good whiskey and a hot toddy is calling my name).

You are all gems, really you are!

Thank you all for this thread! Elegant Lion- I think I saw you up there when I was on the ledge; glad you are in bed now.

And the inebriati! I knew it! And now I know about drinking appropriate beverages to increase language fluency. I know I speak better Spanish when I am really really sleepy. Off to raid the liquor cabinet (hubby the Scot always has some good whiskey and a hot toddy is calling my name).

You are all gems, really you are!

:lol::lol: :) Sleep well maiden of Rohan. :) :grouphug::grouphug:

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

Why the heck do people ask how youre doing when they really dont want to know? Should I LIE and give the fairytale version just to make you feel better? I hate to lie.

:leaving:

We care!!! Some people don't. I consider "how are you" a statement of greeting in many cases. Like you can learn in the 5 minute university from Father Guido Sarducci.

Como esta usted? (How are you?)

Muy mal, gracias (very bad, thank you)

Muy bien, gracias (very well, thank you)

That's as deep as some people want to go. But not us, we care.

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

Why the heck do people ask how youre doing when they really dont want to know? Should I LIE and give the fairytale version just to make you feel better? I hate to lie.

:leaving:

BTW, I hate insomnia.

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug: to you both.