Menu

All About ETC Explode the Code

Bloggermom

I wanted to post this because I have seen some threads where people are asking what is in each level. I also wanted to point out the recommended grade levels so you can decide the best level for your child. Even if you use another phonics program, I have found this to be an amazing and fun supplement to really cement everything.

Preschool

Get Ready for the Code (Book A) teaches consonants b, f, m, k, r, and t.

Get Set for the Code (Book B) teaches consonants p, j, h, s, n, and d.

Go for the Code (Book C) teaches consonants c, j, g, w, y, v, z, and q.

Kindergarten

Explode the Code Book 1 (ETC 1) starts with a consonant pretest to check to see if your child knows the consonants covered in the primers (A,B,C). Then it goes on to cover the short vowels

Explode the Code Book 1 1/2 (ETC 1 1/2) provides further practice in the skills learned in Book 1. We use this because I want things cemented in, however some people skill the half books.

1st Grade

Explode the Code Book 2 (ETC 2) Initial consonant blends and final consonant blends.

Explode the Code Book 2 1/2 (ETC 2 1/2) This also provides further practice on all the skills taught in Book 2. Again, some people skip this if their child is blowing through it. I recommend using it if your child struggles with Book 2 at all.

Explode the Code Book 3 (ETC 3) covers one-syllable words ending in a long vowel, including -y; silent-e words; digraphs sh, th, wh, ch, ng, ck; trigraph tch; ee-ea, ai-ay, oa-ow.

Explode the Code Book 3 1/2 (ETC 3 1/2) use this for further practice. I find that even if you skip the half books for levels 1 and 2, mastering the silent-e can be a bit more tricky. You may want to consider the half book at this point.

2nd Grade

Explode the Code Book 4 (ETC 4) teaches compound words: common endings -ful, -ing, -ist, -ed, -ness; and rules for syllable division between double and different consonants, with open and closed syllables, with syllables ending in -y and -le, dipthong syllables, and three-syllable words. You may need to go through this one a bit more slowly than you did Book 3. This one teaches more difficult concepts which are a big step up in difficulty from the previous book.

Explode the Code Book 4 (ETC 4 1/2) If you don't get any other half books, this is the one you should get. Children grasp the rules and concepts better with the review.

Explode the Code Book 5 (ETC 5) after getting through Book 4, you should be able to pick up the pace on this one. This level covers word families such as: all-alk, old-olt-oll, ild-ind, qu-, three-letter blends such: thr, shr, scr, str, spr, spl, dipthong -ey, and three sounds of -ed.

Explode the Code Book 5 1/2 (ETC 5 1/2) provides more practice on the concepts presented in Book 5. You may or may not need it.

3rd Grade

Explode the Code Book 6 (ETC 6) this one will teach your child about vowel plus r words: ar, or, er, ir, ur, wor, war; dipthongs oo, ea, ie, oi-oy, ou-ow, au-aw, and we-ui-ue-ou; igh.

Explode the Code Book 6 1/2 (ETC 6 1/2) this is the LAST book in the half series. You wont find it for levels 7 or 8. Therefore, this is your last chance to get that extra review. Make sure your child mastered ETC 6 before you consider skipping this.

End of 3rd Grade/Beginning of 4th Grade

Explode the Code Book 7 (ETC 7) this one can be done either in 3rd or 4th grade depending on the reading skills of your child. It focuses on soft c and g; silent consonant letters; ear, ei, eigh words; digraph ph.

4th Grade

Explode the Code Book 8 (ETC 8) this is the LAST book in the ETC series. It primarily focuses on suffixes and endings.

Like I mentioned up above, I have found Explode the Code to be an amazing supplement to our studies. Even if you are using a different program for your main phonics teaching, this one teaches valuable skills in such a fun way. Don't pass it up!

Edited by Bloggermom

I might add that if you're using ETC as a supplement, there's no reason to purchase the teacher's guide. It assumes you're using ETC as a primary teaching tool. I just wasted my money on the 1/2 teacher's guide because I kept reading that you should buy it, at least the first time. HOP is our primary reading program right now, which DD likes and does well with. I have no desire to use any other extension/learning activities with her, which is what the teacher's guide provides. It doesn't help you understand or complete the student workbook, which is what I was expecting. I hadn't even seen the guts of a complete ETC book, so I didn't know...

Hahaha, and here I would disagree from the other end of the spectrum.

We plan ETC like this:

Kindergarten: A, B, C

Grade 1: 1 & 2

Grade 2: 3 & 4 (4 being optional, since it covers topics that could be learned after book 8)

Grade 3: 5 & 6

Grade 4: 7 & 8

and no 1/2 books unless reinforcement is necessary.

Which just goes to show what a great series it is, as it can be used at the pace that suits each student.

No worries, I'm fine with disagreement. :)

Still, I can't imagine delaying formal treatment of r-controlled vowels until Grade 3.

If I was in charge, r-controlled vowels would follow ETC3, because r-controlled vowels are abundant even in books for emerging readers.

We plan ETC like this:

Kindergarten: A, B, C

Grade 1: 1 & 2

Grade 2: 3 & 4 (4 being optional, since it covers topics that could be learned after book 8)

Grade 3: 5 & 6

Grade 4: 7 & 8

and no 1/2 books unless reinforcement is necessary.

Which just goes to show what a great series it is, as it can be used at the pace that suits each student.

I was using the suggested grade levels that the publisher provides, they are not *my* chosen grade levels. I agree, it is great that you can start at the first book and just work your way through at your child's pace. It is good to see what "grade levels" they are designed for though.

You guys keep using it all the way up through grade FOUR?:001_huh:

Pardon my surprise. I guess I just feel like the rules in them are things I would expect a child to know coming out of 2nd or maybe 3rd grade at the latest unless they were behind on reading. They move kind of slowly in that regard, so we're really using them to reinforce phonics concepts. One of my 2nd graders will finish them all this year - he's on book 7 now. The other is a bit of a slower reader. He's nearly done with book 4, though he's doing it after book 5. I anticipate that he'll finish them by the end of the first half of 3rd grade - and I felt like he was a bit behind on it to be honest.

Pardon my surprise. I guess I just feel like the rules in them are things I would expect a child to know coming out of 2nd or maybe 3rd grade at the latest unless they were behind on reading. They move kind of slowly in that regard, so we're really using them to reinforce phonics concepts. One of my 2nd graders will finish them all this year - he's on book 7 now. The other is a bit of a slower reader. He's nearly done with book 4, though he's doing it after book 5. I anticipate that he'll finish them by the end of the first half of 3rd grade - and I felt like he was a bit behind on it to be honest.

I think that's why so many people love them, because it is totally dependent on the child using them as to how fast you go.

My son finished 8 in 2nd grade although on some days it was a little trying for him. My daughter 1st grade this year is finishing 3 right now and will be starting 4 in a week. I think reading is a little bit harder for her than her brother. See how they really work for each child at their own pace :)

I guess it depends on how fast a child is willing to work through them. My DD is still plugging away on Book 1 even though she knows all the work easily. She hates doing ETC so all I can get out of her is a page a day which makes for slow going. I could forsee us still doing this in 4th grade unless she changes her mind and decides to pick up the pace. (fingers crossed).

:iagree:

We'll finish the series this year (all the single numbered books) and then over the summer I'll have DS review doing the 1/2 books just to be sure there are no gaps (we'll do 3 1/2 to 6 1/2, then 7 and 8 again if needed). I can't imagine extending the series into fourth grade unless their is an issue with reading level.