Menu

What do you do for Bible - elementary age.

NotAVampireLvr

We are doing BJU Bible Truths K4 for my would be 3&5 y.o.'s this fall and probably will be repeating it the following year as well. Its a great solid program.

I was going to start DS1 (7) on Bible Truths 2, but I really don't want to be teaching a full bible lesson twice. My plan was to have him sit in on the younger two's lessons and then read through the Read and Share Bible with him at night (our usual routine already). We also have some Your Story Hour mp3s that I'll have him listen to that match up with our reading. I'm assuming eventually they will catch up and I'll be able to put them in a BJU's Bible Truths program that will work for all three.

Just wondering what you do with your kids? The age gap between my oldest and youngest is 4.5 years since its totally doable for me to combine them at some point.

eta: its important to me that they have a strong biblical foundation - I'm not a new believer, but I only started really reading the bible when I hit 30.

Edited by NotAVampireLvr

A variety of things so far while they are little: mostly Rod and Staff's Bible Stories to read and coloring books, and their first grade reading program. This year my 4th grader read the entire new testament from her good children's Bible, and we all did an Advent study together.

Next year I want to use a curriculum with mine, so we are going to try Memoria Press' Christian studies together. We will be back in SOTW vol. 1 so I thought it would match up to start w/the old testament next year.

We are going to be starting "Long Story Short" (Old Testament) for '12-'13. I found it in the Timberdoodle catalog. It looks like it's going to be good. It stretches out over 2yrs. They have a sample chapter to checkout on the link. HTH!

http://www.timberdoodle.com/Long_Story_Short_Ten_Minute_Devotions_p/536-536.htm

ETA: It looks like it's cheaper at Amazon...(I just like supporting Timberdoodle 'cuz I think they're awesome!)

Edited by mommy24angels

I recommend Bible Study Guide for All Ages. It is super easy to combine kids together from Age 3 to upper elementary. In four years your kids would go through the entire Bible with worksheets at their own level. The amount of Bible knowledge that my kids have gained from this program is AMAZING!

Here is the link: http://www.biblestudyguide.com/

:iagree: We LOVE BSGFAA. This year ds4 and dd6 both used the beginner pages. Next year, ds will stick with beginner but dd will use the intermediate. Dh and I both have masters degrees from seminary and choosing a Bible curriculum was hard for us, I had planned on doing my own as I did last year, but then when I found this, I was thrilled.

We do a morning devotional time with prayer, and a reading from the One Year Children's Bible, which also has review questions for each day. If you wanted to, you could easily turn it into another subject to be narrated (although we are not that formal about it). OYCB is written for ages 5-8.

We also do Bible memory work at this time. Right now the kids are working on memorizing the Apostles' Creed and their verses for AWANA.

:iagree: We LOVE BSGFAA. This year ds4 and dd6 both used the beginner pages. Next year, ds will stick with beginner but dd will use the intermediate. Dh and I both have masters degrees from seminary and choosing a Bible curriculum was hard for us, I had planned on doing my own as I did last year, but then when I found this, I was thrilled.

Can you tell me more about this? I am using Long Story Short for my older and a children's bible for the littler ones. I would really like to combine everyone next year in an effort to streamline. My kindergartner will not be ready for LSS next year.

Do you read actual bible passages? Or does it give you stories to read? Can I do it at the same time for both kids or will I have to work with one and then the other? I read somewhere lessons could take up to an hour? I really don't want to spend that much time on bible... Do you think that's true?

We are using SOTW 1 so I have added the Bible in with that. I am using lapbook booklets and crafts etc. We also try to do a little bible reading first thing in the morning (doesn't always happen, though). We did just finish up the Jesse Tree that was for Christmas. :tongue_smilie: I also pulled out a bible lapbook from Journey through Learning and we are continuing that again.

I recommend Bible Study Guide for All Ages. It is super easy to combine kids together from Age 3 to upper elementary. In four years your kids would go through the entire Bible with worksheets at their own level. The amount of Bible knowledge that my kids have gained from this program is AMAZING!

:iagree:

It's awesome! We love it. Especially that we are all sitting around the table reading the Bible together. My kids are 8 and 14, and I have no trouble combining them at all. We are halfway through Unit 1, and I plan to continue it all the way through.

Edited by jenni33
forgot info

:iagree: :D

Can you tell me more about this? I am using Long Story Short for my older and a children's bible for the littler ones. I would really like to combine everyone next year in an effort to streamline. My kindergartner will not be ready for LSS next year.

Do you read actual bible passages? Yes, the citations for the passage to be read are listed on the student sheets and in the TM. You can use any Bible version you want, but the answers to the student sheets are based on the NIV. Or does it give you stories to read? Can I do it at the same time for both kids or will I have to work with one and then the other? I always read the Bible story to them together. If they are using the same student sheets then you could just keep going together. If you have a child in the Beginner sheets, then you would need to read the instructions to them. The Intermediate and Advanced student sheets are written to the student. All of the sheets are pretty much the same on the back, but depending on the level, the student would have to write more. I run a class of 10 kids on Sunday night using this program. I have about 4 kids using Beginner sheets and 7 kids using Intermediate. It's not a problem to do them at the same time. It would probably be much easier to do it with just your own family! I read somewhere lessons could take up to an hour? It only took us about 30 minutes at the most. See below. I really don't want to spend that much time on bible... Do you think that's true? It depends on how you do the lessons. If you do two lessons a week, you will finish an entire level in 52 weeks. This is what I did. We never took breaks from Bible even when we were taking school breaks. On Monday I would read the story from the Bible and we would do the back of the sheets. On Tuesday we would do a quick review of the story and do the front of the student sheet (application, review of previous lessons, timeline, maps, etc.). On Wednesday we would start a new lesson doing what we did on Monday. On Thursday, same as Tuesday, but with the new lesson. Friday was just a review of what stories we had covered that week, maybe do a quick craft for one of the stories that I found on the internet.

If you have any more questions I would be happy to answer them. :001_smile:

I will answer from our experience, but we are only doing beginner pages with both this year, so I know running both beginner and intermediate next year will be different.

Do you read actual bible passages? Or does it give you stories to read?

I started reading the Bible passage in the beginning, but it was too much. We now read just what is on the student page, and I am happy with it. It is accurate and just enough. I think you may read the passage for the intermediate pages, which if so we will read it together.

Can I do it at the same time for both kids or will I have to work with one and then the other?

My plan for next year is to start together for review/memory work/timeline, etc then help the littles while dd works alone on her intermediate s.p. We will end together with memory verse for the week and prayer like we do now.

I read somewhere lessons could take up to an hour? I really don't want to spend that much time on bible... Do you think that's true?

We do a solid 30 minutes M-R and Friday we play the games and review.

Hope that helped some!

I really liked how MFW used the Bible in 1st grade. You could try something like they do...read a story from whichever Bible you'd like then have the child illustrate the story. Until they are able to write a sentence or two on their own, they could narrate to you a sentence or two and you could write it at the bottom of the page and have a beautiful Bible Notebook.

We used Sonlight's core B bible partially. I loved Leading LIttle Ones to God and the Sing the Word CD for memory verses. We also are blowing through lots of missionary stories - the kids love them. I dropped Sonlight but Leading Little Ones to God was a real keeper. It combined bible stories with characteristics of God in a powerful way.