Menu

Field trip/vacation ideas for marine biology study

We will be studying marine biology next year and want to incorporate some fun field trips into our study. Since we love educational travels, we thought we would head for the coast - but which one? and where?

Right now, we are open to any and all suggestions, but would like an area that has quite a bit to offer.

We live near a large airport and plan on flying, then renting a car. We are also open to driving several hundred miles along the coastline to visit several areas, if need be.

Please throw out your best suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

We just "did" the West coast a couple years ago and it was total love. We flew into LA, drove up to San Fran. and drove back down along the coast.My boys are fanatic about seashells, starfish and the ocean so we may numerous stops. We visited the Seymour Discovery Center/Long's Marine Laboratory in Santa Cruz. Not quite what I thought it would be, but the kids enjoyed it. We stopped at a state park right near there and learned about the tide, tidal pools, and what to look for from a naturalist at the visitor's center. Loved that. We saw our first live starfish in it's natural habitat.

Missed the elephant seals at Big Sur because I didn't want to drive over that high bridge.

Spent time in Monterey at different beaches. Saw otters and more starfish and all kinds of little ocean critters. At certain times of the year you may be able to see whales migrating. Monarchs west of the Rockies migrate here (and at Santa Cruz) over the winter, so if you time that right you can see them hanging in the Eucalyptus trees by the thousands.

Hope this bumps your post and you get more help. :)

Marine Biology:

CA side--

Ano Nuevo--Make reservations and see the rare Elephant Seals in their natural habitat. The tour is outstanding, and takes about 3 hours IIRC. This is quite unique--I believe it is the only place in the world where you can do anything like this.

Santa Cruz--Seymour Center: You might want to try to schedule one of their summer camps into your trips. They are excellent! The center is more low key and a bit more scientific than a typical aquarium. For instance, they have touch ponds that are not very big but are always staffed by extremely knowlegible volunteers who talk to the children about what is being studied. The center is focussed on the scientists who are doing marine research of various types. It is the public arm of the UCSC Long Memorial Laboratory, sponsoring marine studies of various types, including onsite pioneering research of marine mammals.

Monterey Bay Aquarium: Right near the Cannery Row of Steinbeck fame, this is one of the biggest, most well-thought out displays of marine life in the world. Their ocean tank is several stories tall and sometimes you'll see a great white shark lazily swimming in it! They pioneered the ability to display jellyfish effectively. The place is huge--try to avoid the weekends or the free days as it is very crowded then. It has a great cafeteria--plan to spend the whole day there for sure.

Both places: Do not miss the book stores.

17 mile drive: Some of the most beautiful ocean shore scenery and best tidepooling in Northern California.

All of these spots are inside of a stretch of Pacific Ocean and Monterey Bay shoreline that is only about 90 miles long, so it is charmingly accessible once you are here.

Edited by Carol in Cal.

I don't know your financial situation or your the age of your kids, but have you considered scuba lessons and then going to an area that is great for scuba diving like the FL keys?

I was going to suggest Key Largo. My df takes his advanced bio (high school) class down there for a week every year--awesome opportunity.

Pending your finances...

WA, OR, CA is great for tidal pools and abundant wildlife on the coast, but not so easy for going in the water and seeing a whole lot (comparatively).

FL is somewhat nice for scuba and has some coral. The area around the Dry Tortugas (off Key West) is nice for snorkeling and seeing a bit - esp coral. Easier to get to areas include Key Largo or Biscayne NP.

HI is great for variety of marine life in the water, esp if you did what was suggested and got scuba certified. We saw dolphins (spinners are awesome) and manta rays in the water as well as the usual eels, fish, coral, etc. There are areas that are good for snorkeling too.

Doing them all gives a nice overview. ;)

Thank you so much for the wonderful suggestions. Lots to think about.

CA does have a lot to offer along its coastline. And we could get to the Hearst Castle, something DS badly wants to see.

Scuba diving sounds great, but in reality is probably out. I was certified to dive when I was younger but never could enjoy it. And DH is terrified of the water. :tongue_smilie: I'll be lucky to get him to go in the water past his ankles.

Doing them all gives a nice overview. ;)
:lol:

Love the way you think.

But we are hoping to get to Italy in a few years, so probably shouldn't hop all around the US for marine biology. We do try to take one big trip a year, so I can probably get in two coastal trips around the time of our studies. California and Florida? Sounds good to me. :D

In Texas we have sea turtle releases. http://www.seaturtleinc.org/
DH has family along the Texas coast and we have visited several times, but have never done anything 'educational' while in the area. Will have to look into that. Thanks for the link.

Here is what I would recommend for the West Coast:

Monterrey Bay Aquarium (nuff said)

Ano Nuevo (I second, or third, that)

Point Lobos - at certain times of the year whales come very close to land here, and you can see them quite well. The seals and sea lions are tops, and there are always sea otters floating offshore

http://www.pointlobos.org/

The Marin Headlands, truly amazing:

http://www.parksconservancy.org/visit/park-sites/marin-headlands.html