Menu

Lands' End Down Coats?

I ordered the long Lands End Down Commuter Coat, which was on deep discount last weekend (extra 20% off the sale price). I'm not sure what to think - it's not very thick and I don't have any experience with down. Is it likely to be as warm as the website says? I have a squall parka at present and want something longer and warmer.

Also, if you have this coat, it feels a bit tight around the arm holes - is that just me? I have it in two sizes - the larger size is very loose elsewhere but tight around the arm holes, even with just a very light fleece underneath.

Does anyone have any experience?

Many thanks

Laura

It sounds like it doesn't fit properly if it's tight in the arms. Down is light and warm. Often Lands End rates the temperature for the coat if it's for real cold weather. The fabric on the outside determines if they work well in damp weather. Really, if it doesn't fit well I would send it back. It's such a pain ordering on line sometimes.

Not exactly the same coat but I ordered the Stadium Squall on Friday, It doesn't seem anywhere thick enough for the coldness rating they give it. It fits me but is narrower across the back at armpit level than I expected. It feels like its about a size smaller than it says.

I don't have experience with this particular coat, but I recently decided to replace my 14+ year old squall parka, and had to return the replacement for that reason. I had read they trimmed it up a bit, so ordered one size up. The sleeves fit like they were taken from a sweater design or something. A sweater made to fit a skinny teenager. :glare:

I'm rather disappointed in Lands' End for doing that. There was nothing wrong with the way the coat used to fit. I guess I'm just going to have to hope the zipper doesn't completely break on my old one. It is my only winter coat (and I live in Michigan).

If anyone knows where I can get a parka that fits like the squall used to, I'd love to hear about it. I have bursitis in my shoulder, and struggling with sleeves like that is not an option.

I ordered the long Lands End Down Commuter Coat, which was on deep discount last weekend (extra 20% off the sale price). I'm not sure what to think - it's not very thick and I don't have any experience with down. Is it likely to be as warm as the website says? I have a squall parka at present and want something longer and warmer.

Also, if you have this coat, it feels a bit tight around the arm holes - is that just me? I have it in two sizes - the larger size is very loose elsewhere but tight around the arm holes, even with just a very light fleece underneath.

Does anyone have any experience?

Many thanks

Laura

600 fp is very good quality down - and fp is a huge deal in warmth. a very high fp requires less down than a low fp - so you get a lighter coat.

but if the arm holes are too tight - I'd send it back. gotta be able to move.

I also seriously wonder what's up with a coat orginally listed at 1600 bps, being marked down to less than a hundred? seriously? how long has it been on the market? (or was it a typo?)

I think that is the same coat I bought last year, after we moved to upstate NY from southern IN. I purposely ordered my coat 1 size too big b/c I like to wear bulky sweaters and vests & needed a coat to accomodate that. Anyway, it is quite warm. Last year we had a very cold winter & I had no complaints. I also spend way too much time in ice rinks watching 2 kids play & practice hockey and I stay warm.

I also ordered when it was on a deep, deep discount, w/ free shipping. (I am cheap!)

I have a Land's End down parka and I love it! I ordered my regular size, because the guy on the phone says their coats run large...one size bigger. So, a size 6 is cut to be more like an 8. It fits me fine, even with a sweater underneath. They do leak feathers for awhile, but that's normal.

I guess I'm just going to have to hope the zipper doesn't completely break on my old one. It is my only winter coat (and I live in Michigan).

We had an LE coat recently where the zipper broke - it would look like it was zipped then just come apart. The coat was a few years old but nowhere near the normal life expectancy. We called customer service, they had us send it in and they repaired the zipper and sent it back to us. I think we paid the shipping to them; they paid to return it. They did a very nice job, and the coat is back into regular use.

I also seriously wonder what's up with a coat orginally listed at 1600 bps, being marked down to less than a hundred? seriously? how long has it been on the market? (or was it a typo?)

Probably the arm issue. LE had an issue with its girls swimsuits last year (IIRC); they were just cut poorly. Tons of people who were used to buying them every year returned theirs and bought elsewhere. I've noticed that clothing lines all over are cutting their clothes in ways to use less fabric. There's an epidemic of off-grain cuts (often marketed/presented as a design feature) and strapless or spaghetti strap everything (which saves a TON of fabric).

I've noticed that clothing lines all over are cutting their clothes in ways to use less fabric. There's an epidemic of off-grain cuts (often marketed/presented as a design feature) and strapless or spaghetti strap everything (which saves a TON of fabric).

Is this because the price of cotton went up this year? Did it actually go up? I seem to remember hearing in 2010 that the price would be going up.