Menu

Sonlight Core 1 or 1+2 for next year

We are currently finishing up Sonlight's Core C (Core K). I'm trying to decide what to order for next year. My boys are 8 yo/3rd grade very advanced reader and 6 yo/1st grade struggling reader. Here are the two paths I'm considering plus the one Sonlight's on-line adviser recommends:

1. Core 1 with my own added readers for the 8 yo and grade level readers for 6yo

2. Core 1+2 and use the books from Cores 1 & 2 that are left out after the combining for readers for my 8 yo.

3. Sonlight's on-line adviser recommends skipping Cores 1 and 2 and going straight on into Core 3. I'm worried that will be too much for my 6yo and unless the reading clicks soon, I'd have to read all of his readers to him.

Any thoughts?

We are currently finishing up Sonlight's Core C (Core K). I'm trying to decide what to order for next year. My boys are 8 yo/3rd grade very advanced reader and 6 yo/1st grade struggling reader. Here are the two paths I'm considering plus the one Sonlight's on-line adviser recommends:

1. Core 1 with my own added readers for the 8 yo and grade level readers for 6yo

2. Core 1+2 and use the books from Cores 1 & 2 that are left out after the combining for readers for my 8 yo.

3. Sonlight's on-line adviser recommends skipping Cores 1 and 2 and going straight on into Core 3. I'm worried that will be too much for my 6yo and unless the reading clicks soon, I'd have to read all of his readers to him.

Any thoughts?

Sonia definitely has her limitations! She isn't really programmed to think through combining two children in one core. And the slightest change in the info you put can really change what she suggests. This is a good question for the choosing board if you haven't put it there already.

Personally I'd go with Core 1 because I think 6,000 plus years of world history scrunched into 1 year is a real whirl-wind tour! Even at 2 years it's a lot, but it's a more breathable pace.

If you're looking for readers & your oldest has already done all 3 levels of 2 readers (reg, intermediate & advanced), here's a couple of places to look: the 1000 good books list, and www.paulasarchives.com for some ideas.

HTH, Merry :-)

:iagree: I would not do Core 3 with either one of them. I also have an 8yds/3rd grade and 6yrds/1st grade. The older one is advanced, but not advanced for Core 3 and the younger one has yet to learn to read.

Core 1 and 2 are too good to skip and I intend to do both Cores with them together. It is just a good fit imo.

Well, I can say that I would not jump to Core 3.

What would do is go with Core 1 and instead of using CHOW (Child's History of the World) I would use SOTW 1 with the Activity Guide. Why would I recommend that? Well, because that is what we did and it was perfect. My son loooooves Ancient history, and I think that is in part to not only SL's Cores 1 & 2, but SOTW 1 & 2 as well.

I would also not do Core 1+2 because you are going to miss too many wonderful things, and move through the history at too quick a pace. There are MANY people who use Core 3 with 5th graders!! So if that is your concern, I would not worry about that at all. I used Core 3 with a 4th grader and much of it was over his head....5th would have probably been better.

Besides, if you hold off, then when you do complete Core 3 your youngest will understand it better than he could EVER understand it now, without having to add in a lot of age appropriate supplements for him.

As for readers...

You could get the regular Core 1 readers for your 1st grader. The Readers 2 intermediate package for your 3rd grader.

Then when you get to Core 2, I would do the same. The regular Core 2 readers for your then 2nd grader, and the intermediate (or advanced) for your then 4th grader.

All in all, the Core 1 history will be fine for both. If the readers are not enough for your 3rd grader you can always add more! It's not like there are not plenty of books out there to chose from and since none of the Core 1 or 2 readers correspond with the history being taught...the choosing field is wide open. ;)

I'll offer a different perspective from the previous replies. As background, I'm just finishing my seventh year of Sonlight and have used Cores K-6 thus far, including two trips through Core K and Core 1.

I would go ahead and use Core 3 now with your third grader. Since he's an advanced reader, the books will suit him well. I opted to use SL at a pace best suited for my oldest son and I'm glad of that. He used Core 3 at age 9, at which time my second son was 6/7 years old. The younger one simply listened in on occasion and read books that were at his level of development. One reason I use Sonlight is because of the book lists. I don't want to have to come up with my own selections.

Some have mentioned that Core 1 and Core 2 are too good to miss. Well, yes and no. They're pleasant years, but you'll use them in the future with your other child(ren). Your oldest will study world history in future Cores. I don't think CHOW is an ideal spine for an advanced student, and if I were you, I wouldn't want to replace it with SOTW since that series is used later in Sonlight.

Since you have a younger child, you'll likely get to a point wherein you'll be using two Cores. It may very well be that your second and third sons are on a more similar path than are your older two. So if you start Core 3 now, the next several years may look like this:

2008/9 ~ Core 3 (8 yo); 6 yo listening in (if desired) and using easy readers

2009/10 ~ Core 4 (9 yo); 7 yo listening in and using appropriate readers

2010/11 ~ Core 5 (10 yo); Core K (8 yo and 5 yo)

2011/12 ~ Core 6 & Core 1

2012/13 ~ Core 7 & Core 2

Let me know if you have any questions. I honestly don't think any of the plans you offered are wrong, per se; just wanted to offer a different line of thought.:)

Another vote for Core 1. I personally wouldn't jump to Core 3 already--not that Cores 1 & 2 and "too good to miss" but there is plenty of time. I find that for *our* family, working at a lower core than my oldest child's age works the best. We did Core 2 last year with a 4th and 1st grader, and it was perfect for the 4th grader. The 1st grader got plenty out of it, but some of it was definitely over his head.

Just my humble opinion. :001_smile:

Im doing core 1 and core 4 this year. It is going great. I love the read alouds and they seem to be a great fit for my 2 girls. My 7 yo is a very advanced reader so I allow her to read the ra if she wants.

Now...reading the core 4 books with my son...I cant imagine having my 7 yo reading those. Or having to really get the story line. THey seem very advanced for their comprehension...I would think if you start core 3 this year....next year you will have a 9 yo and 7 yo reading very advanced materials.

Just my 2cents.

I would add harder books to core 1 and not rush with 1+2 Paulas Archives has tons of books to add on and make the work harder. BUt...I also wouldnt use CHOW with your older one...both of mine loved sotw this year. We plan on using that as well again with core 1 and core 2. The usborne books are ok...but very very simple.

Michelle

I don't think CHOW is an ideal spine for an advanced student, and if I were you, I wouldn't want to replace it with SOTW since that series is used later in Sonlight.

I agree and disagree with Colleen on this one. Yes, SOTW is used in Cores 6 and 7, but in those cores the student will more than likely read the books himself. We used SOTW 1 in 2nd grade with Core 1. My son is now going into 6th grade. We will not be using SL's Core 6 because I am now using TOG, but I can honestly say that I would have no problem whatsoever having him read the SOTW books again in Core 6. It's been 4 years since we used SOTW 1 and quite frankly he does not remember much detail. He remembers us having read them, but not the individual stories at all. Does he remember the name Alexander the Great? Sure....and he should, but he does not remember in any shape nor form the exact stories from SOTW about him.

So, in my opinion, unless your child has an AMAZING memory...using SOTW again in Core 6 will not be a problem.

I would think if you start core 3 this year....next year you will have a 9 yo and 7 yo reading very advanced materials.

Why would her second child need to read the Core 3 and Core 4 books? S/he would be using the appropriate SL reading package.

Yes, SOTW is used in Cores 6 and 7, but in those cores the student will more than likely read the books himself.

Most people read history together with their children; I do read SOTW aloud. I must admit, though, that my older two have been reading Foster on their own.

We used SOTW 1 in 2nd grade with Core 1. My son is now going into 6th grade....(U)nless your child has an AMAZING memory...using SOTW again in Core 6 will not be a problem.

Yes, you have a point. My oldest son, a current 7th grader, also listened to SOTW 1&2 back in 2nd grade. Sonlight didn't use SOTW at that time; I added them in as extras. He doesn't recall them with any degree of specificity, so he hasn't felt now like he's repeating books. Good books are always worth enjoying more than once ~ agreed!:) Now that SL does include SOTW, though, I prefer to use CHOW in the younger years. It's a better fit for that 6-7 year old age group, imo.

I will also be incorporating SOTW 1 & MOH1 into our Core 1 this year. I am not necessarily replacing CHOW or the Usborne book, but complementing them with the other two. By the time they get to Core 6, where SOTW 1 is used SL may have replaced it by then, and your ds will probably get a better perspective of the book and understand it more by then.

You say he is advanced and that's great; so get him the readers that go with the Core 3 and the accompanying LA or you could get him the LA 2 Adv and the readers that go with that. I agree that you don't want to slow him down and make him hate school, but you also don't want to stretch him so far that he burns out, which is what happened to a few of mine when I thought they were more advanced than they were.

Just my .02

Guest Kim Marie

I did the condensed Core1/2 with my 4th grader. We both enjoyed it. I think that children that young don't need an intensive World History. We LOVED Window on the World as part of the Bible Study and we both really enjoyed it. Furthermore, something that I didn't really understand until we started Core 3 this year, the Core1/2 still had readers that didn't correspond with the History. My daughter has really missed that in Core 3 and so I add in books "for fun" that I think will interest her. We don't love the Bible Study with 3 either. I wish I would have done Core 3/4 with my daughter this year. One other idea I had was doing the 4 day with your younger child and 5 day with your older child. Don't know if that is of any worth, but just mho.

Kim Marie:001_huh:

Why would her second child need to read the Core 3 and Core 4 books? S/he would be using the appropriate SL reading package.

Here is what she had said:

I was saying it may be hard to follow the readers or Read alouds if she followed the 3rd option she had spoke of and skipped core 1 and 2 and went right into core 3 next year...then she would have this year a 3rd and 1st grader in core 3 and the following year a 2nd and 4th grader in core 4.

Regardless of the readers...the read alouds seem pretty hard to follow for a young 2nd grader?

Either way...Im sure whatever you decide will work. You seem to be gettting a ton of wonderful information.

I was saying it may be hard to follow the readers or Read alouds if she followed the 3rd option she had spoke of and skipped core 1 and 2 and went right into core 3 next year...then she would have this year a 3rd and 1st grader in core 3 and the following year a 2nd and 4th grader in core 4.

I understand.:) What I'm saying, in my original post and in response and in reply to you, is that both children needn't use the same Core, full-bore.

There are several good options. Decisions, decisions!:)

• 1 year later...

I'll offer a different perspective from the previous replies. As background, I'm just finishing my seventh year of Sonlight and have used Cores K-6 thus far, including two trips through Core K and Core 1.

I would go ahead and use Core 3 now with your third grader. Since he's an advanced reader, the books will suit him well. I opted to use SL at a pace best suited for my oldest son and I'm glad of that. He used Core 3 at age 9, at which time my second son was 6/7 years old. The younger one simply listened in on occasion and read books that were at his level of development. One reason I use Sonlight is because of the book lists. I don't want to have to come up with my own selections.

Some have mentioned that Core 1 and Core 2 are too good to miss. Well, yes and no. They're pleasant years, but you'll use them in the future with your other child(ren). Your oldest will study world history in future Cores. I don't think CHOW is an ideal spine for an advanced student, and if I were you, I wouldn't want to replace it with SOTW since that series is used later in Sonlight.

Since you have a younger child, you'll likely get to a point wherein you'll be using two Cores. It may very well be that your second and third sons are on a more similar path than are your older two. So if you start Core 3 now, the next several years may look like this:

2008/9 ~ Core 3 (8 yo); 6 yo listening in (if desired) and using easy readers

2009/10 ~ Core 4 (9 yo); 7 yo listening in and using appropriate readers

2010/11 ~ Core 5 (10 yo); Core K (8 yo and 5 yo)

2011/12 ~ Core 6 & Core 1

2012/13 ~ Core 7 & Core 2

Let me know if you have any questions. I honestly don't think any of the plans you offered are wrong, per se; just wanted to offer a different line of thought.:)

I agree with every word of this. Especially the last sentence about all options being ok for you. Really, whatever you choose here will be fine.

I will also be incorporating SOTW 1 & MOH1 into our Core 1 this year. I am not necessarily replacing CHOW or the Usborne book, but complementing them with the other two. By the time they get to Core 6, where SOTW 1 is used SL may have replaced it by then, and your ds will probably get a better perspective of the book and understand it more by then.

You say he is advanced and that's great; so get him the readers that go with the Core 3 and the accompanying LA or you could get him the LA 2 Adv and the readers that go with that. I agree that you don't want to slow him down and make him hate school, but you also don't want to stretch him so far that he burns out, which is what happened to a few of mine when I thought they were more advanced than they were.

Just my .02

You really want to save Core 3 Readers and LA for when you do Core 3. Even though they are readers, they are a major part of the history being taught.

If you really want to keep them together I'd do Core 1 and Core 2 separately but possibly at an accelerated speed if the younger can handle it. We just finished Core 1 with a 6 and 7 year old (both acclerated) and we easily did 2-3 days of History readings in one day quite often.

If you don't mind splitting them up then I'd go with Colleen's suggestion and have your older do Core 3.

I've used SL since the beginning and I am just finishing up Core 3 with my 8 and 10 year olds. My 8 year old is advanced and she has certainly enjoyed Core 3, but I do sometimes wish I could adjust things down a little for her because I think she'd get even more out of it.

So, I agree with moving on to Core 1 or Core 1+2. I think Core 3 probably won't be enjoyable for your 6 year old and there are so many great books in Cores 1 and 2, I wouldn't want to miss them. When my daughter first saw the Core 3 books, she unhappily commented that they were ALL history.

Lisa

Any thoughts?

Option #1 gets my vote.

Hey all, just wanted to tell those who didn't see it that the original post is 2 years old. She no longer needs our help choosing.

So, Oak Knoll Mom, what did you choose?:D

:lol:

Funny thing...I chose Core 1 but ended up not using it that year. I'm actually going to use it this coming school year with my 8 yo (he was the 6 yo when I wrote this post and he's still a struggling reader) and 5 yo. My (now) 10 year old will probably listen in, but he has other history and literature assignments.