Menu

This is strange. I just ate a piece of pineapple, and now my tongue hurts. A lot.

I ate ONE chunk of pineapple.

Within just a minute or two, the sides/bottom of my tongue started aching/hurting. My mouth felt completely fine before I ate it. No canker sores, cuts, burns, cold sores, etc. When I DO get cold sores, they're always on my tongue, not my lips. But I don't have any right now.

It's been, good grief, like two hours now, and my tongue still hurts, and feels sorta swollen. It's making me talk funny.

I've eaten pineapple a LOT in the past. I've never felt like this before.

This was canned pineapple; Zee likes the texture of canned better than fresh. Could that be why? I usually eat fresh.

Is this an allergic reaction? Nothing else is bothering me but my tongue. Should I worry? Should I avoid pineapple in the future?

This is just so weird.

I wouldn't worry about the Dr or ER unless you are experiencing swelling.

Yeah, I found that info too. My tongue's not gritty or itchy, but it hurts. And I can't tell if it's swollen and that's why I'm talking sort of funny, or if it's just 'cause it hurts my tongue to talk 'normal'. Hunh.

I have a friend whose daughter reacts to all kinds of fruits. I can't remember what it's called, but it is a sort of allergic reaction. It's a special kind though...that only affects the mouth. Wish I could remember more.

are you thinking of oral allergy syndrome?

• 1 year later...
Guest Memonic

Some days ago I had the same reaction to a very small chunk of pineapple (canned one), I couldnt understand what caused the allergy because I've never had it before. I've read about pineapple side effects at this page and realized that it could have been an allergic reaction.

Pineapple is growing, about 10 miles from our house. I didn't know they sell canned Pineapple... If you ate one piece of the canned pineapple, and you had that kind of reaction, I wonder if there is some kind of contamination in the can you bought. Or, if there is some chemical they added in the factory, that you are allergic to. Be careful and do not buy that brand of canned pineapple again. GL

I've had this happen to me with pineapple, some nuts and pizza sauce. It really is annoying. My dentist says its geographic tongue (in my case) and although there is no known cause, it may be tied to acidic foods and possible vitamin deficiencies. I've had blood work that says otherwise, so I went in for a 2nd opinion. He confirmed what my dentist says about geographic tongue. I know I probably should get allergy testing done.