Menu

Speckled Sussex Roo-- FREE!

No, seriously! Isn't he handsome?

Denise? ;) Anyone?

I ordered six pullets from Meyer Hatchery in August and one of the Speckled Sussex is turning out to be a roo. He's very sweet and very beautiful, and would make a great 4-H project. We can't keep roos, and the soup pot is not an option ;) so am wondering if anyone here is interested?

I"m in the northwest corner of Connecticut, by the way.....

0129_6420.jpg

astrid

LOL! Why don't you want them? I've heard they're great for ticks, etc. Are they a pain?

They are just a tiny bit bullyish, but my big hens can handle them. I only have two coops here at the house, and I want one for the Mille D'Fleur D'Uccles and the other for my Silkies.

The only reason I really want to get rid of them is because sometimes I have trouble telling their eggs from my banty eggs, and since they are both female their eggs are infertile.

I'm thinking about kicking them out of the coop and letting them tough it out in the barn. That or I should just get a male.

I only have three big hens right now, and when they die I think I'll stick with the banty breeds a while and see what happens.

Unless I fix up the coop over at one of the ranch houses and put some big ones over there.........I do love those big brown eggs..........

I'm actually close enough (possibly) to take advantage of this. :seeya:

I don't think we need a rooster, though. Dh wanted chickens, but I don't see him moving too fast on that and I'm not eager to have another project. I'm not sure why we would even want a rooster??

:seeya: Waving right back!!!

If I had room to have them free range, I'd keep him in a heartbeat. Roosters take GREAT care of their girls, keeping watch for predators, etc. If you get your coop built, keep us in mind!

astrid

I'm sitting here, trying to imagine what my neighbors (we live in a townhouse) would think if I had a rooster.

Well, it'd last all of one day before we got busted. But dude, that'd be one FUNNY day, with everyone trying to figure out WHERE all the chicken noise was coming from! :D

(And I can't imagine he'd really be THAT much louder than one neighbor's dog... :glare:)

Alas, I don't think my dh would go for it. :001_huh: :lol:

I wish I was closer. We have two roos,a silkie and a bantam brahma, but with 19 ladies we could certainly handle one more. Heck, we had four until disease took our poor sex-link roo and our dog (grrr) chased our gorgeous black bantam cochin into the woods, never to beseen again. Hens are fun but I don't think you get the real joy of watching chickens until you've got at least one roo.