Menu

We love Zaccaro's Challenge Math

Spetzi

I just wanted to plug a book I don't hear about very often, Challenge Math. It's a supplement that is engaging and helps the student work through some difficult problems. One great feature is that after the reading there are several levels of problems for the student(s) to do. This is wonderful for teaching multiple kids. They feel great once they've solved some "Einstein Level" toughies!

We love it!:D

• 3 weeks later...

I am interested in Challenge Math for my kids so I checked it out from my library. I am excited to use it, but I think it might be a little too difficult for my kids, who are 7 and 8. Has anyone used the "Primary Grade Challenge Math"? Would that be a better fit for my kids?

I am interested in Challenge Math for my kids so I checked it out from my library. I am excited to use it, but I think it might be a little too difficult for my kids, who are 7 and 8. Has anyone used the "Primary Grade Challenge Math"? Would that be a better fit for my kids?

Yup. We love PGCM.

Bill

I truly believe that Primary Grade Challenge Math book is marvelous, but Button didn't glom to it. He does love MEP math problems but they are a lot more time-consuming to deliver; he also really loves Family Math (the book; it's not at the Challenge Math level) and Life of Fred.

My 7yo is solidly working in second-grade maths. So with a non-mathy (non-math-loving) student, what would be a good age/grade to start Primary Grade Challenge Math?

My 7yo loves math and is good at it. She's just finishing MEP Y1 (my fault, entirely, that she's not in Y2 she could easily do it). We've done the first chapter and part of the second in Primary Challenge Math and she *loves* it. Asks to do it. Thinks it's fun, even though it is hard and introducing things she doesn't know yet.

All that to say, I think if she's solidly in 2nd grade math, now is the time :)

• 2 weeks later...
What age/ability level is a good cutoff between Challenge Math and Primary?? I have a 9 year old DS who is ahead in math.

I think I've seen them listed as K-3 and 4-8. My daughter's 2nd grade teacher bought both books for her. Primary for now, and the one for later, whenever that is.

My 9yo is using Primary Grade Challenge Math and my 8yo is using Becoming a Problem-Solving Genuis. We love both and we'll definitely buy more of the series when we finish these!

Melissa :)

What is the difference between these two books? We have PGCM, but I'd consider buying BPSG if it's different enough....