Menu

If you make yogurt in your crock pot....

do you ever use a whole gallon of milk? All the recipes I'm seeing online (same basic recipe) have you use half a gallon of milk and 1/2 cup yogurt. I'd like to double this, but don't know if there's anything about doubling it that will mess it up. (Like maybe it needs to cook longer or something during one of the stages.) Just don't want to mess up a whole pot full of yogurt. Thanks!

I always do a whole gallon and 1 cup of starter yogurt. No problem! I have big one-gallon glass jars to put it in when it's done. I do 2.5-3 hours heating up, then unplug and 3 hours to cool down, then add yogurt and let sit overnight (wrapping the crock pot in thick towels).

As for timing/thickness -- I let it sit overnight once the starter yogurt has been added. It's not as thick as store-bought, but thicker than milk of course. I may start straining it through cheesecloth for "Greek" yogurt, using the whey to soak flour in baking and breadmaking.

Edited by milovaný

:bigear:

And....if you do make yogurt in your crockpot, have you noticed it takes a lot longer to thicken, that what most recipes suggest?

I let it cook more like 3-3.5 hours and it comes out thicker than if I only cook it the 2.5 hrs that my recipe suggests.

:bigear:

Thanks for starting this thread. I was thinking about getting a yogurt maker.

You can also heat the milk on the stovetop, then cool and add a little starter yogurt, pour into containers, and then put it in the oven overnight with the oven light turned on. The light produces enough heat.

Or, you can incubate it in a cooler with a jar of hot water in it to provide heat.

I really think yogurt makers are a bit of a waste of space.

Here's the one I'm trying, based on a couple of recommendations on a previous yogurt thread that I found on here today:

http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/2008/10/you-can-make-yogurt-in-your-crockpot.html

This is the one I use and it's pretty reliable. I incubate in the crockpot in the oven with the light rather than on the counter, but we have thin windows. The oven works better for me.

DS and I love thick yogurt, so I strain with coffee filters and a strainer. Just got some cheese cloth and am going to give that a try soon.

I warm my gallon of mil to scald, let it cool and I use 4 quart-Mason jars. I ladle the milk into the clean jars, and add in about 3 tbsp yogurt to each jar. Then I put the lids on the jars and put them into a LARGE stock pot I have and fill it up to the lids with warm water.

The nest day I dump out the water and refill with warm water, again. So a full 24 hours 'cooking'. When I put them in the fridge, they firm up even more and it's really, really thick. Some batches have come out sour cream thick.

I have found that the Greek yogurts work best as a starter, and if I clean the jars on sterilize in the washer, it helps.

Edited by justamouse

Here's the one I'm trying, based on a couple of recommendations on a previous yogurt thread that I found on here today:

http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/2008/10/you-can-make-yogurt-in-your-crockpot.html

This is the one I started with. It's the one I've always used.

The only things I do differently is when I add in the yogurt I also add in 1/2 cup of sugar per batch (so if you are doubling just double the sugar). I also add in 2 TB of pure vanilla per batch (so if you are doubling just double the vanilla). I also allow this to sit for 12-14 hours. Then I pour it into a strainer that is lined x3 with coffee filters or cheese cloth. I have a bowl underneath so when the yogurt drains it drains the liquid (which is called whey and is EXTREMELY good for you and can be used in place of buttermilk). I then let it drain all day in the fridge. When I pull it out, I scrape off the yogurt from the coffee filters or cheesecloth and save the whey in ziploc bags and freeze it. I will also put a small mason jar of it in the fridge for recipes on the fly. The yogurt is then placed into a glass round pyrex dish of mine and stays good for 1 week.

My kids won't eat the plain stuff. When I say plain I mean NO sugar or vanilla added. We have to add it into smoothies. However this yogurt that I made now with the sugar and vanilla is my kids favorite!

Edited by mamaofblessings

The only things I do differently is when I add in the yogurt I also add in 1/2 cup of sugar per batch (so if you are doubling just double the sugar). I also add in 2 TB of pure vanilla per batch (so if you are doubling just double the vanilla). I also allow this to sit for 12-14 hours. Then I pour it into a strainer that is lined x3 with coffee filters or cheese cloth. I have a bowl underneath so when the yogurt drains it drains the liquid (which is called whey and is EXTREMELY good for you and can be used in place of buttermilk). I then let it drain all day in the fridge. When I pull it out, I scrape off the yogurt from the coffee filters or cheesecloth and save the whey in ziploc bags and freeze it. I will also put a small mason jar of it in the fridge for recipes on the fly. The yogurt is then placed into a glass round pyrex dish of mine and stays good for 1 week.

My kids won't eat the plain stuff. When I say plain I mean NO sugar or vanilla added. We have to add it into smoothies. However this yogurt that I made now with the sugar and vanilla is my kids favorite!

Thank you for posting this, I've tried the crickpot recipe and although it was ok, it was a bit too tart for us. I'm going to go get stuff tomorrow to try it with your additions. I've often wondered if I could add puréed fruit to the batch when I add the starter yogurt to make more of a blended fruit yogurt, but was afraid it wouldn't set up right.

I just use a candy thermometer and bring the milk up to x temp (I forget) to kill the cooties that I don't want to cultivate. Then, I cool it down to y temp (yep, forgot) so I DON'T kill the yogurt cultures. Since I am impatient, and put my pot in a sink of cold water to bring the temp. down quickly, this is a 15 minute process (rather than 5 hours in the crockpot).

I put my yogurt on containers in a cooler , surround it with jars of hot water, put on the lid, and get yogurt about 8 hours later. I generally do this at bedtime so I'll have fresh yogurt in he morning. I like it with a dollop of strawberry preserves :D

If I want to thicken it, I cook the milk until it reduces, or add powdered milk. I haven't tried straining it yet, but I definitely plan to. My teen likes Greek yogurt and I think it's offensively overpriced.

Well, this first batch is just plain jane for me. Only 1 gallon milk, and I just mixed in 1 cup yogurt, covered it again, and wrapped it in a blanket. I'll see what happens in the morning. I'll probably have to strain it to get the right thickness. Hubby and I eat plain yogurt with a little stevia or berries. I'll have to sweeten it for the kids. Can't wait to see how it turns out!

I've seen several folks mention draining with coffee filters or cheesecloth. When I've made yogurt cheese from just plain storebought yogurt, I line my colander with a double layer of heavy duty paper towels. Will this yogurt that I make be too runny to strain that way?

I've seen several folks mention draining with coffee filters or cheesecloth. When I've made yogurt cheese from just plain storebought yogurt, I line my colander with a double layer of heavy duty paper towels. Will this yogurt that I make be too runny to strain that way?

I suggest coffee filters or cheese cloth when straining crockpot yogurt. Even though you are making it a double batch without the sugars it will be thin as sugar thickens it a bit. It's safe to drain but you will notice that you will really need to pack on the layers to keep it from going straight through. Try draining it with maybe 4 layers of coffee filters as they are thicker than cheesecloth. See how it comes out for you as far as consistency then you will know if you need to add or drop a layer for future recipes :)

Yum! Hubby likes the yogurt and so do I. It's a little more tart than the Dannon plain. So if I don't want it so tart, do I leave it in the crock pot for more or less time? Regardless, I'd call my experiment a success. So excited to be able to save $ on yogurt. We eat tons of it around here.

How did I miss this thread? I've been meaning to post about this as well. I am curious ThelmaLou if you've made it again. How long did you cook in crockpot? Did you do the time recommended in recipe, or did you add time because you doubled the batch? Did you try again with sugar? What about honey? Anyone? Can you add honey with starter? Based on what I was reading the sugar added with the starter helps thicken yogurt. But would honey work as well to thicken, or does that get added in the end like fruit?

I've made it twice now, and the second time I used 2 gallons of whole milk total, divided between 2 crock pots.

I did just as the recipe stated. I left on low in the crock pot for 2.5-3 hours. Then unplugged for another 3 hours. Whisked 1 cup starter yogurt (used Dannon Natural full fat yogurt) into 2 cups hot milk, then returned all to the crock and whisked to incorporate. Wrapped in blankets and uncovered 12 hours later to find my yogurt.

Dry milk is pricey, so I decided to just strain my yogurt to the desired consistency. I can save the whey to use in recipes...anything baked that calls for buttermilk. I can sweeten it with stevia, splenda, or sugar. I saw online that some folks add jam for the fruity flavor, but so far I've just added sweetener. I might try vanilla, too.

To strain, I lined a colaner with paper towels and set a bowl underneath to catch the whey. I think cheesecloth will work better, so I ordered some of this from Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Norpro-367-Natural-Cheese-Cloth/dp/B0000VLVBQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1328382983&sr=8-1 It should arrive Monday or Tuesday, so I'll see how it goes.

It's $4.95 with Amazon Prime free shipping. It's washable and reusable, so hopefully it will last for a while. Decided to order this instead of getting the cheapy/non-reusable stuff for the grocery store.

As far as doubling, it didn't seem to affect the process at all. I stretch the initial cooking time out to 3 hours instead of two and a half, but otherwise just doubled all amounts and kept the times the same. No problems at all.

I've been watching this thread intently and decided that today was the today.

I put a gallon of milk into my crockpot, got my 2 older kids off to school and then went for a nap (something I never due, but did this morning due to being up late due to Superbowl party). When I woke it was 3.5 hours since I put the milk in. I figured that was ok because we like thicker yogurt.

But, in my post-nap fog, I misread the recipe and didn't let the milk cool before adding the yogurt and sugar!!!!!!

Will my yogurt survive? Right now it's sitting out in the cold as I attempt to cool it!

Sorry, but you did probably ruin this batch. The reason for the cooling is so that you don't kill the starter cultures. If you didn't let it cool to 112 degrees or so before adding the starter yogurt, it was too hot and probably killed the cultures. You can still use the milk in baking or soup or something.

Give it another go! It's yummy.

Just adding that although we eat all of ours within a week, it does continue to get tarter and tarter as it ages, so a week or 2 might be the limit unless you like really, really tart yogurt. We make 2 quarts weekly, instead of trying to make a full gallon and having it last 2 weeks for that reason. I don't make mine in the crock pot, but I can't imagine that would make any difference in how it ages...

Sorry, but you did probably ruin this batch. The reason for the cooling is so that you don't kill the starter cultures. If you didn't let it cool to 112 degrees or so before adding the starter yogurt, it was too hot and probably killed the cultures. You can still use the milk in baking or soup or something.

ARGH!!!! That's what I was afraid of......

Thanks.

You could try reheating the milk/starter mix to about 110 degrees and adding another batch of yogurt to start again. Or just starting all over if you are using the crock pot--I don't think you need new milk, just new yogurt. I don't see why the original batch of dead starter should interfere. It is worth a try anyway...

Edited by urpedonmommy

You could try reheating the milk/starter mix to about 110 degrees and adding another batch of yogurt to start again. Or just starting all over if you are using the crock pot--I don't think you need new milk, just new yogurt. I don't see why the original batch of dead starter should interfere. It is worth a try anyway...

Hmm, that's an idea! I think I'll give it a try.

Thanks.