Menu

Making flour torillas... help?

there are lots of possibilities. What comes to mind first is if you're cooking them until they're hard and stiff it's too long. Also, to keep them pliable I keep my stack inside a slightly damp towel. Their heat keeps them steamy and soft. Or it could just be the recipe. Good luck!

I really don't know! Can you tell us what you did, exactly?

Did you make them and immediately eat them? Because, I put them hot into a plastic bag to eat later, so that they don't get brittle. Was the dough wet enough to begin with? All I can think of is somehow they were too dry.

I think you may have cooked them too low and slow. You need to cook them in a hot pan, fairly quickly. If you cook them on a warm pan for a long time, they become cracker like.

:iagree: When I cook mine, it's very, very quick. And it really helps to put them in a freezer bag after you cook them. The heat and moisture the bag traps helps them stay soft.

I used this recipe..

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/homemade-flour-tortillas/

I did cook them on medium heat. I did not let them rest after making balls. I am using whole wheat flour, will that change things?

Checking out the Homesick Texan too. I didn't use lard. I think I used oil, I didn't have any lard or shortening.

It says in the recipe description:

"Traditional flour tortillas - homemade and much better than store bought. Do not substitute vegetable oil or shortening for the lard."

So maybe the oil was the problem? ;) If you substituted the oil for lard 1:1, you might not have had enough fat in there.

My best guess is not enough oil combined with low heat. Although, medium heat shouldn't make them crack.

We use wheat flour with oil, but don't follow a recipe. I'll see if I can hunt one down.....

Found this.

2 cups (8 ounces) white whole wheat flour or traditional whole wheat flour

1/2 teaspoon salt

3 tablespoons (1-1/4 ounces) canola oil

2/3 cup (5-3/8 ounces) warm water

Hope it helps. Sometimes it is a matter of trial and error. Eventually you get an idea what the dough needs to feel like and how it reacts to the rolling pin.

Danielle

Edited by USDGAL

I don't use lard and only have this when I cook too slowly. You can see videos on youtube of people making Indian breads on the stovetop, made with minimal oil in the dough, that aren't crispy. But they go fast and they puff up. Also don't roll too super thin, maybe?