Menu

What meals do you like to take to friends?

I'm taking a meal to a friend who was hurt in a ski accident. I'm considering meatballs, (hoagie-style) which has been successful with other people before; chicken parmesan, which could work or maybe chicken marsala. She's not totally incapacitated, so I don't think putting on some spaghetti noodles to go with any of these would be a problem, though the meatballs work on a sub-roll, too.

Do you have anything you especially like to bring to friends in need? :bigear: Do you have an opinion on my choices above?

:bigear:

My friend's hubby is having surgery and will be recovering for almost 2 weeks. I'm trying to plan about 5 meals for her. They will be frozen.

I'm making bean and chicken enchiladas, banana muffins for breakfast, and apple/carrot waffles (for her teething 18 month old who eats them frozen).

I'll be following this thread for more ideas.

I like to bring soup or chili, because of its flexibility. You can dump it in a pot and heat it all or heat one bowl at a time. I like Minestrone because it has so many veggies in it. All I bring with it is a loaf of crusty bread and it's a complete meal.

I think the meatballs with buns for hoagies is a great idea.

tacos have been a hit lately with friends that I bring meals to. I do a 7 layer bean dip in a 9x13 that they can heat or eat cold as well as just refried beans with cheese that the kids can eat, tortilla chips, taco shells, taco meat and lettuce, tomato, sour cream, salsa, bag of shredded cheese and tortilla shells so they can have a meal the next day of leftovers in the tortilla shell (leftover cheese, beans, corn, meat, etc). This also happens to be my children's favorite meal right now so they get a feast as well and none of this is difficult to make in larger quantities. If you are shredding lettuce, you might as well do the entire head of lettuce:)

I had lots of smiles from the kids last time I brought and it's a meal I never "mess up" on, I usually seem to ruin dishes I am making for other families :001_smile:

tacos have been a hit lately with friends that I bring meals to. I do a 7 layer bean dip in a 9x13 that they can heat or eat cold as well as just refried beans with cheese that the kids can eat, tortilla chips, taco shells, taco meat and lettuce, tomato, sour cream, salsa, bag of shredded cheese and tortilla shells so they can have a meal the next day of leftovers in the tortilla shell (leftover cheese, beans, corn, meat, etc). This also happens to be my children's favorite meal right now so they get a feast as well and none of this is difficult to make in larger quantities. If you are shredding lettuce, you might as well do the entire head of lettuce:)

I had lots of smiles from the kids last time I brought and it's a meal I never "mess up" on, I usually seem to ruin dishes I am making for other families :001_smile:

Tacos are always a hit- everyone can fix it the way they want it. Really good for kids who don't like casseroles...which a lot of kids are funny about!

I usually bring muffins for the next day's breakfast, too.

I have brought baked pasta dishes (with meatballs, meat sauce, or sausage), because they freeze and reheat well. I also bring banana or zucchini bread. Sauteed green beans (with or without walnuts added) reheat nicely too.

When DS3 was born, a friend brought several items, which were all delicious, but the main one was a chicken corn pie. It reheated very nicely, and we all LOVED it, especially the kids!

We had five friends with babies over a two week period last month, right before Christmas! So we did a LOT of meals! We ended up making lasagna for one, mushroom-barley stew for another, sausages w/ peppers, chili, and homemade mac 'n cheese. For each one we added a basic salad or cut veggies, some type of bread/roll, and a simple dessert like some cookies. I try to stick in fruit as well.