Menu

Home decorators: What would you do with this space?

I am hoping that the file attachment works. If it doesn't, see:

Triangle Above Fireplace

Well, two firsts in one post--first attachment and first link creation. Let's see if they work!

Anyway, I've been stumped about what to do with this spot in our living room (our one sort of formal room). Right now it has only a cheesy WM flower arrangement. At Christmas, it does become a nice spot to display a 3-tiered nativity scene, but the rest of the year it is . . . blank.

Since my idea of decorating is mainly to cram as many bookshelves into the space as possible, I am short of ideas. I have thought about installing glass shelves for displaying things, but I strongly dislike dusting and don't want to create a dustcatcher. I also have to take into account the high ceilings (don't get me wrong--I really like them).

Hive mind: Rescue me from this decorating disaster!

post-101-13535082527612_thumb.jpg

post-101-13535082527612_thumb.jpg

I think some mismatched mirrors in different frames would make a nice grouping there and the reflection would make the corner bright. I'd remove the flowers and add some candles in holders of varying heights.

Another option (but sans light) would be mismatched, empty frames grouped on both walls. I'd still use candles.

It looks like the walls are perhaps beige or light tan and the fireplace looks cream. Is it stone or painted? If painted, it would really pop it to paint it in an accent color. I can't see what sort of color you might have in the room as I just see what looks like a cream chair..... Do I see denim blue? That would be pretty on the fireplace.....

If the fireplace is stone, you can get a type of paint that can be used over stone to give it a faux finish, adding a color wash to it. I really like color, so it just seems to me that you need more of that in the room.....

Regena

We have a lot of stuff on our walls in eclectic, non symetrical patterns. I might do something similar here. A medium frame on each side with smaller frames around them. You could do prints of places you've been or art you like or photos of your family. I really miss having a mantel to display photos on. So I would probably go with that, too. Some really knock out frames with great photos on the mantel and then framed items hung on the wall.

Sebastian

Yeah, I agree. I only suggested the frames because I'm seeing more decorators using them for architectural interest these days. I know that my parents find tons of old, neat frames at yard sales, so I think it's easier to find interesting frames now days. The reason I wouldn't suggest pictures opposing each other here is that it seems that you couldn't really see them. They would be sort of facing in toward each other and the glass might even cause reflections that would obscure the pictures. I like better the photo that someone else found and linked of a large picture propped up with the orchid and books opposite.

Good luck!

Regena

I would keep it simple. I think the more stuff you hang or put on the shelf will draw your eye to the depth and take away from the fireplace.

I would find a pretty scupture or wood piece that is tall and then add to that. I am thinking a tall vase but with a deep color and texture. I think you want the height to take the focus off of the depth.

I would also add a few things on the ground next to the fireplace so the fireplace remains the focus and brings it out into the room instead of the negative space above.

Oooh (whining), you're always stretching me, and it hurts! Doing L&L for fun is one thing, but I can't imagine doing something I'd be willing to hang center stage like that!!!

Isn't that what friends and mentors are for?!?!?:D Did you honestly expect me to say something else?? As for it being center stage, it is all in the way you look at it! You are definately skilled enough for it, and it would look lovely.

I do like the ideas of mismatched mirrors, or other art work that pleases you.

The artist in me wants to balance out the angles instead of drawing more attention to them. I would place a large round ceramic, wood, or glass plate (think artsy looking and handmade) on a stand in the middle of the space, then perhaps soften the bottom edge where the stand sits on the mantle with some greenery.

Lisa

Percytruffle's Place