Menu

Very fast & easy sewing project for 6yo?

I need to come up with a hand sewing project that a group of 6 year old girls can do in less than 45 minutes. It's been a long time since I've had a 6yo girl so I wanted to run it by the hive. My leader (of the girls' group) suggested that it could be something as simple as learning how to sew on a button, but that doesn't seem very glamorous to me.

Do you think 6yos could whip-stitch around a small felt item in that time frame? I would have all of the shapes cut out and the needles pre-threaded with floss. They would just whip-stitch around two pieces and we would stuff with batting to make a little stuffed animal. (a very simple shape like a fat bird).

I was also trying to come up with an idea that they could make for their moms for Mothers' Day but I'm at a loss.

Any suggestions for me?

Edited by OC Mom

I was going to suggest the exact idea you have! Use a large needle and embroidery thread.

The problem will be with the basics. Losing the thread, tangles. Last weekend, I spent over two hours with two 8 year old girls trying similar projects. There was always an issue with the thread! :D

You could draw a heart on felt and have them stitch over it.

Or maybe whip-stitch around two small pieces of felt. You can add the ribbon at the top to make it a bag.

I like this website http://allsorts.typepad.com/. She has some fun Christmas projects. One of the ones I have done in the past is make the "Felt Peppermint Star". It is on the right hand side, scroll down a bit to find it. It could be done with other colors to make it not look so much like an ornament. It could also be done in a larger size. It is easy, all hand stitching and the kids would get a great item at the end of their project. Have a great time with the kids.

One of the moms in my Co-op is giving a class called "felting". Same age range as you have. They use felt (the decent quality stuff) and make "food" for pretend play. I saw some really neat banana slices made by 6 year olds yesterday. The mom precut the circular shapes the kids sewed and stuffed them. Even adding in little black "dots" for the seeds. You could make all kids of fruit and veggies for "cooking".

Long ago when I was in 4H we made sewing needle holders (looked like a book).

A rectangle of felt, two slighty smaller rectangles of white flannel. Lay them in a stack and sew a line bisecting the long edge all the way across the stack. You can then fold it like a book. Make a tie out of bias tape. We used the flannel 'pages' to hold pins and needles, close the book and roll it into a tube shape and tie closed with bias tape.

I've been considering working on sewing with Princess, but I've seen her with scissors and can only imagine the havoc she'd wreak with a needle and thread, lol.

I've been considering starting out with knitting instead. Finger knitting seems like it could be appealing for both of my older ones and a good way to keep small hands out of trouble. If there's an interest, maybe a loom.

Needlepoint may be a good place to start as well. I enjoyed needlepoint and so did my nieces when they were younger. They are lots of kid-friendly needlepoint kits out there.

As far as making a gift for Mom's day...maybe a drawstring bag would be a good beginner's project once she learned how to use a needle and thread? She could sew it and then fill it with small items or some homemade potpourri...

Good luck, I was barely able to teach 3rd and 4th graders how to thread needles and knot the thread in that length of time.

:lol: This reminds me of the year I taught VBS to a dozen 5th-6th graders. One of the crafts was to thread embroidery floss through a rainbow-shaped plastic canvas. Not stitching, just weaving the floss through the holes, in one and out the other. Sounds super easy, right? We had about 20 minutes to do the craft and only one kid finished--a boy whose mom did plastic canvas and cross-stitch and taught him how. And these were 10-12 yo's.

I tried to teach my 7yo dd to stitch a small felt ornament for Christmas. Not even whipstitch, just basting around the edges. While she has great manual dexterity she found the whole thing tedious and didn't finish.

Good luck, OP! I hope you find a great project. :001_smile: