Menu

Printer suggestions?

My printer is not working with Windows 7, I guess I have had it toooo long. Well, it is *working*, but printing WAY too slowly. I need a new printer, I guess.

Don't suggest the Epson NX215, I have a defunct one sitting here with its scanner bar stuck. It was only $49 new, I should have known. It did last 3-4 years, so not too bad for the price. I have liked Epsons in general; we've owned several.

Criteria:

1. Color - I use a laser for doing lots of b&w pages

2. Wireless - this has become a must with the laptops

3. All-in-One - I don't have the space for scanner and printer

4. I'd prefer to stick under $200

I have a Brother printer I love! It is an AIO. That said, they don't make it anymore but my printer is great and it is Brother brand.

The ink is *CHEAP* (I do get generic ink from Amazon)! It also lasts forever. I only used 1 black ink cartridge and printed a reams worth of paper. It was for the kids schooling too!

There are only two things I don't like about it and I don't know if other brother printers are this way. One - you can't change the cleaning cycle. IT will clean whether you want it to or not, and make sure the time is right, otherwise it cleans in the middle of the night and wakes you up in a panic wondering who is printing at this time of night! :D Two - You can't just let the ink run out. It will tell you it is time to change the ink and won't let you print anymore until it is changed. It also won't let you reseat the old cartridge hoping to fake it out. :D Now so far (I have has it almost 2 years) the ick has stretched *WAY* farther than I though. So although it is irksome I don't think it is costing my anything but pennies (maybe).

Hope that helps a little. I will be sad when this printer takes a dive. I really like it.

This one has good reviews on Amazon and is under $100.

This one does 2-sided printing, but it is bigger.

This one looks pretty nice too, they have it for $99 at my local Office Depot, according to Google shopping.

This Brother has fewer reviews on amazon, but I know from the past that a lot of people here recommend Brother printers.

Any experience with any of these?

I have a Brother printer I love! It is an AIO. That said, they don't make it anymore but my printer is great and it is Brother brand.

The ink is *CHEAP* (I do get generic ink from Amazon)! It also lasts forever. I only used 1 black ink cartridge and printed a reams worth of paper. It was for the kids schooling too!

There are only two things I don't like about it and I don't know if other brother printers are this way. One - you can't change the cleaning cycle. IT will clean whether you want it to or not, and make sure the time is right, otherwise it cleans in the middle of the night and wakes you up in a panic wondering who is printing at this time of night! :D Two - You can't just let the ink run out. It will tell you it is time to change the ink and won't let you print anymore until it is changed. It also won't let you reseat the old cartridge hoping to fake it out. :D Now so far (I have has it almost 2 years) the ick has stretched *WAY* farther than I though. So although it is irksome I don't think it is costing my anything but pennies (maybe).

Hope that helps a little. I will be sad when this printer takes a dive. I really like it.

Is the brother that I linked in my post above similar to the one that you have?

I have an Epson Workforce 610 and a 630. They were both easy to set up wirelessly. We had a Konica Minolta and an hp that were difficult to set up. They were a little older so that may have been the problem with those.

They print and scan reasonably quickly. I use them for work and school stuff. The quality is good and the ink cost isn't too bad. I bought them both from Sam's on sale for $69 and $79 respectively.

I just bought an HP Envy 110. I got it at Sams Club for $150. My father-in-law got his from Best Buy for $170. LOVE this printer. Very sleek looking. It has something called efax? I think that's what it's called anyway. Not sure how it works, as I haven't had to try it yet. But, it is wireless. I can print from my iPhone and iPad2. Very, very nice feature. Ink is inexpensive. It's super quiet when it prints. It does print two sided. I didn't know it did until my dd did it from my iPad. HA!

1. Color - I use a laser for doing lots of b&w pages

Have you considered a color laser? If you print a lot of color images, the cost of ink adds up faster than the cost of color toner. Also, you can get rid of your mono laser printer (color lasers let you replace the black toner separately.)

I'm also a big fan of Brother printers. I have both a mono laser and a color laser sitting on my desk. I'll never again buy an HP product.

Costco has the Brother MFC-9125CN color laser/scanner combo on sale (ends today) for $300 with free shipping. It comes with four (cyan, magenta, yellow, black) "starter" toner cartridges, but those are equivalent in page count to four or five sets of color ink cartridges for a typical inkjet. Or at least the "starter" cartridges for my Brother color laser were. I think they're rated at 1,000 pages for color and 4,000 for black, but it'd be worth checking.

2. Wireless - this has become a must with the laptops

You shouldn't need wireless built into whichever printer you get. Just run an Ethernet cable from the printer to your hub or wireless access point.

I have a Brother HL-5340D and I love it. Its wireless sibling is HL-5370DWT. I think I've had one paper jam in > 1 year, and the first ink cartridge lasted me really well. It does two-sided printing very well, too. Alas, it does not have a scanner. But I will put my plug in for it.

I'm not necessarily recommending any printer, but just wanted to encourage you to see what the costs of replacement cartridges are for the printers you're looking at. Depending on the printer, the cartridges can greatly vary in price, quickly making up the difference of what you thought you were saving on the printer cost! I'm sure you've thought of all of this already...

Have you considered a color laser? If you print a lot of color images, the cost of ink adds up faster than the cost of color toner. Also, you can get rid of your mono laser printer (color lasers let you replace the black toner separately.)

I'm also a big fan of Brother printers. I have both a mono laser and a color laser sitting on my desk. I'll never again buy an HP product.

Costco has the Brother MFC-9125CN color laser/scanner combo on sale (ends today) for $300 with free shipping. It comes with four (cyan, magenta, yellow, black) "starter" toner cartridges, but those are equivalent in page count to four or five sets of color ink cartridges for a typical inkjet. Or at least the "starter" cartridges for my Brother color laser were. I think they're rated at 1,000 pages for color and 4,000 for black, but it'd be worth checking.

I looked at the color laser printers. My problem is that they tend to be expensive or huge. And we don't have Costco. I miss Costco. It was right by my house in Hawaii. :(

You shouldn't need wireless built into whichever printer you get. Just run an Ethernet cable from the printer to your hub or wireless access point.

I have an N style router without extra ports.

I had an HP OfficeJet 7310, which I loved. When it died after several years of frequent use, I couldn't decide between the Epson Artisan 810 and the HP OfficeJet 8500 Plus (the newer version of my old printer), but I finally settled on the Epson because the reviews were so good. I've had it for about 6 months, and I like it okay, but if I had it to do over again, I'd buy the HP instead. My HP was much more user friendly, and the copy quality was MUCH better on my HP.

Out of desperation and frustration with a previous HP and Epsons dh picked up a Kodak printer like this one. It does color, wireless, and works with Windows 7. The ink is pricey IMO but I honestly haven't kept track of how many pages per cartridge.

I would prefer a color laser but dh won't get *another* one since the last one developed problems. But the printer above has held up well and gets a lot of use. We've had it for at least a year now.

Hi Mrs. Mungo.

DH just surprised me with a HP 8500 A Plus from Costco. It cost $179 in Hawaii, so maybe even a bit less on the mainland?

It is wireless. It does automatical double sided printing (you don't have to re-insert the paper). It is a copier/scanner/fax/printer. It also has three separate color cartridges, which I understand is more efficient than replacing all your colors at once.

I'm thrilled with it so far, since my old was was giving me SO many fits. :)

Hi Mrs. Mungo.

DH just surprised me with a HP 8500 A Plus from Costco. It cost $179 in Hawaii, so maybe even a bit less on the mainland?

It is wireless. It does automatical double sided printing (you don't have to re-insert the paper). It is a copier/scanner/fax/printer. It also has three separate color cartridges, which I understand is more efficient than replacing all your colors at once.

I'm thrilled with it so far, since my old was was giving me SO many fits. :)

Hi, Lynn! Nice to hear from you! I am missing the Hawaii weather right now. :)

You dh is a keeper! Unfortunately, we have no Costco here. Boo. What is up with that?

We wound up finding the Epsom WorkForce 645 on sale at Office Depot for $99, so we went with that one.

Thanks, everyone for the input.

Yea, yea a little late here... sorry about that, I totally missed the posts.

This is the printer I bought Mrs. Mungo..

http://www.amazon.com/Brother-MFC-255CW-Wireless-Multifunction-Printer/dp/B002LFJ7E2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1327442204&sr=8-2

If it were me :D Id go for the Workforce 645 or 630. Not the MFC-J5910DW and I am just not a fan of Epson :)

Well there you go! :) A little late but there!