Menu

Recommend a free podcast/series?

I have a long drive coming up, and will have the (rare!) opportunity for some uninterrupted listening. I'm not huge on audiobooks, and have plenty of opportunity to listen to my favorite music on normal, garden-variety days. I'd like to try some podcasts, but I'm too cheap to pay for any plus iTunes was way overwhelming with choices.

I'll pretty much listen to anything, and definitely anything that's free. :D

Any suggestions or recommendations of specific podcasts or maybe podcasters to look for (or avoid)?

I have a long drive coming up, and will have the (rare!) opportunity for some uninterrupted listening. I'm not huge on audiobooks, and have plenty of opportunity to listen to my favorite music on normal, garden-variety days. I'd like to try some podcasts, but I'm too cheap to pay for any plus iTunes was way overwhelming with choices.

I'll pretty much listen to anything, and definitely anything that's free. :D

Any suggestions or recommendations of specific podcasts or maybe podcasters to look for (or avoid)?

:lurk5:

BBC's Excess Baggage - quirky people who have had unusual travel adventures or written travel books.

BBC's Women's Hour - a nice variety of things, good for driving because it's a mix; if you don't like one hit the "next" button and you'll get something different.

This American Life - very popular, hard to explain.

Stuff You Missed in History Class - interesting bits of history, not sure of the accuracy, but worth a listen.

Stuff You Should Know - like hanging out and having a beer with two charismatic guys, who chat on a different topic each week. Filled with factual inaccuracies, so it's a love it/hate it thing. Sometimes not appropriate for the kiddos.

The Archers - longest running soap opera in the world, set in a small English village. Lots of farming storylines. Nothing like American soap operas, more of a "day in the life" type approach, though there is some relationship drama in the mix.

BBC Farming Today - nice if you're a foodie interested in where your food comes from. Usually perky and cheerful, and only 12 minutes or so per daily episode, so nice for morning listening.

Grammar Girl - self-explanatory. Grammar geeks (and us wannabees) love it. There's also one about learning Logic for the LSATs that is pretty good; don't remember the name.

Learn French with Daily Podcasts - good for practicing French if you have some already, not for raw beginners. The host reads a paragraph, usually tied in to a recent news story, and then breaks it down for you. Most of what he says is in French, but he does say it slowly, spell some things, and explain a few words using English. Short episodes - just right for a daily dose.

Rick Steves - a slew of travel stuff, including his radio show. He's the "traveling to Europe" guy. Not the greatest radio host ever, but interesting for armchair travel or actual trip planning. He's also got some audio walking tours of a few European cities and museums.

TED Talks - although most of these are better on video, IME.

White Coat, Black Art - medicine, from CBC. Nice for insight into socialized medicine. Interesting topics.

EMS Lecture Series - from Albany Medical Center. Probably not of general interest, and probably not ideal for driving, but I enjoy them and have learned a lot. Targeted towards EMS health professionals, given by 2nd and 3rd year ER residents.

ITunes U has a nice series called "Start Writing Plays", and about a bazillion other things; the Open University is a good place to start looking.

Edited by askPauline

This American Life, RadioLab, NPR's Fresh Air. I am a devoted follower of a Seattle Podcast called Too Beautiful Too Live, but I think that might be an acquired taste. Through itunes U there are lots of college courses you can listen too; I have been listening to one on French History through Yale I really like.

Car Talk is one that we always enjoy. I second the Stuff You Should Know and the Stuff You Missed in History Class podcasts. Oh, Wait Wait Don't Tell Me can be pretty funny, too, although if you're driving with kids that one can sometimes be a little inappropriate for their ears, imo.

Edited by Mothersweets

This American Life - very popular, hard to explain.

NPR's Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me and Freakonomics

Car Talk is one that we always enjoy.

If you are at all a foodie, I recommend "The Splendid Table", and a really good all around talk show is "The Diane Rehm Show", both free podcasts.

I listen to almost all of the above either live on the radio or in podcast form.

Others I love are:

- From the Top, which features kids and teens who are excellent classical musicians both performing and talking about their lives.

- The Dinner Party Download / The Dinner Party, which has a pair of hosts working through regular segments including an ice-breaker joke, a guest of honor, a historical story and a description of a drink inspired by it, small talk about weekly events, etc. I recently discovered this one and have been listening every day while I walk with the dog.

- Fresh Air, the interview show with Terry Gross.

- Planet Money, which I enjoy despite the fact that I'm not especially into financial stuff.

- The Moth, which has "real stories told live without notes." It's a very mixed bag, and often not family friendly, but I enjoy it.