Menu

TT Alg 1 for youngers....

Dd8 started TT Alg 1 this week and is truly in heaven. For a young'ish visual learner I cannot praise this program/publisher enough for beginning alg. I recommend using TT in conjunction with a more 'conceptual' program like SM -- as well as a hands-on approach like HoE. I feel like we have a winning combo here. Dd has never complained about math -- but she does not request more math as many of the math-oriented students here on this forum do. She works hard and gets the job done so she can read.

I plan to add some pages from our Aufmann text for review of decimals/percents (since TT seems weak on those elements in the prealg/alg books). Dd also does math enrichment with a tutor via Cybershala.com on Mondays and Fridays. They have done a boatload of ip/cwp in the last year. Rachna will do some creative math topics w/ dd this semester. They will dig deep into some alg concepts with a heavy focus on word problems (which TT lacks).

I know TT gets a bad rap here since it is 'light' -- and I agree. It is light. For a younger student it is ideal -- as long as a parent is nearby and talks, talks, talks through all the material.

HTH someone who is looking for a computer-based approach to prealg/alg for a young'ish student. :)

Note...We are using TT Alg 1 as our prealg course -- NOT algebra 1 (we will most likely use Larson for alg 1).

Edited by Beth in SW WA

Hi Jen, TT Alg 1 here is the program dd is currently working on. It's goofy & light but so perfect for an 8 year old, imho. She started working through the verbal word problems in HoE last summer when she was in TT7. The verbal word problems offer the perfect amount of challenge these days. What a blessing to have so many fantastic resources. This is an ideal time to be teaching algebra to kids.

HTH! :)

Has anyone used this following SM? DD is in SM 4, and is eager to start Algebra and is eating up HOE, so I'm wondering whether there would be a good light algebra or pre-algebra option that she could start now or next fall along with Singapore 5A/B, and then move to AOPS when she's a little older.

She doesn't like computer-based stuff much, though.

Has anyone used this following SM? DD is in SM 4, and is eager to start Algebra and is eating up HOE, so I'm wondering whether there would be a good light algebra or pre-algebra option that she could start now or next fall along with Singapore 5A/B, and then move to AOPS when she's a little older.

She doesn't like computer-based stuff much, though.

Sounds like MUS Algebra might be a good choice for her. There are short video lessons, but the problem sets are in the workbook, which has a very clean, simple layout (plain black type, tons of white space). It's a very gentle prealgebra/intro to algebra, and doesn't get into more difficult topics like quadratics.

Jackie

• 2 months later...
Sounds like MUS Algebra might be a good choice for her. There are short video lessons, but the problem sets are in the workbook, which has a very clean, simple layout (plain black type, tons of white space). It's a very gentle prealgebra/intro to algebra, and doesn't get into more difficult topics like quadratics.

Jackie

Jackie, This post of yours from months ago really got me thinking....

I have looked at adding MUS Alg 1 for dd since she loves the hands-on approach and visual appeal of some math methods. We are starting to work on factoring polynomials and I want to demonstrate those lessons concretely first.

So....I ordered MUS Alg 1 and it should be here in a week or so. Dd7 looked at the youtube sample of MUS Alg 1 and loved it also. We will probably spend the summer building & factoring polynomials. I wish I had learned alg this way as a youngster.

I'm gambling that quadratics will be a breeze for dd. We should hit that topic formally in TT this fall.

ETA: This is dd8's alg homework from her NEM online class on Monday. Coming at math from various angles has been AWESOME for her. She loves every moment. Yay, homeschool. :)

Graph the solution set of each compound inequality.

1. m ≥ -5 and m < 3

2. s < 3 or s ≥ 1

3. w > -3 and w < 1

Write a compound inequality for each solution set shown below.

-4 -3 -2 -1 0 1 2 3

-1 0 1 2 3

Solve each compound inequality. Then graph the solution set.

6. 4m - 5 > 7 or 4m - 5 < -9

7. y + 6 ≥ -1 and y - 2 < 4

8. 10 - 2p > 12 and 7p < 4p + 9

9. 4 < 2x - 2 ≤ 10

10. 3n + 10 ≤ 13 or 2n ≥ 5n - 12

Edited by Beth in SW WA

It's great to hear your dd loves her work. I think we've finally found a good mix for math here too. MUS is our spine with Singapore CWP, Life of Fred & Beast Academy as supplements. DD LOVES Beast Academy! It is the first math she actually asks to do more. I'm keeping an eye on your posts because at the pace we're moving right now we'll finish Epsilon in a few months and Zeta probably won't take more than 3 or 4 months so we'll be hitting pre-algebra or algebra around the same age you are. I'll probably add HOE at some point before we get there.

I'm about to start using TT pre-algebra with DS7 as something for him to do independently once in a while. I agree that TT is great for a supplement to lower-level but more in-depth math. I said I was sticking to Singapore, and for the most part, I am ... but I succumbed to the Beast Academy peer pressure, and then stumbled across a TT sample lesson ... I think DS will love it.

• 1 month later...
I'm about to start using TT pre-algebra with DS7 as something for him to do independently once in a while. I agree that TT is great for a supplement to lower-level but more in-depth math. I said I was sticking to Singapore, and for the most part, I am ... but I succumbed to the Beast Academy peer pressure, and then stumbled across a TT sample lesson ... I think DS will love it.

Kirsten, How is it going with your ds7? You could use Beast, SM and TT. I just added MUS alg to dd's routine. Lots of great options. :)

For a younger child who is not ready for AOPS or Dolciani, what would be better - TT algebra or MUS algebra? We're in MM5 and using various other books like HoE, but after watching CR videos, I want a book that guides us, that is not formal algebra, that is hands-on and fun. I'm trying to take two paths at the same time - introducing algebra while finishing up elementary math.

I don't think I can buy both TT and MUS, however. We're actually not even video people, but CR was nevertheless enjoyable. I may not even buy the video component of TT or MUS if it's not needed.

For a younger child who is not ready for AOPS or Dolciani, what would be better - TT algebra or MUS algebra? We're in MM5 and using various other books like HoE, but after watching CR videos, I want a book that guides us, that is not formal algebra, that is hands-on and fun. I'm trying to take two paths at the same time - introducing algebra while finishing up elementary math.

Excellent idea!! Do it!

I don't think I can buy both TT and MUS, however. We're actually not even video people, but CR was nevertheless enjoyable. I may not even buy the video component of TT or MUS if it's not needed.

Hmmmmmm.... I would continue to use CR videos since they are so inexpensive. He has a ton there to keep you busy for a long while. Oh, how I wish I learned alg like this at age 9.

ETA: Rosie made these videos at Education Unboxed.

Do you have blocks?

Did you see Rosie's videos w/ the C-rods? I love it! We have so many options.

My hybrid approach seems to be working. The blocks work well with any alg program so you could get plenty of mileage if you purchased a box. CR's are the best deal.

Here is dd9 doing TT Alg 1 w/ MUS blocks. She is obviously feeling quite clever here. I love these aha moments. :)

post-530-13535086705943_thumb.jpg

Edited by Beth in SW WA