Menu

Does anyone work and homeschool?

I have a friend who would really like to hs but she has to work. I don't think she has to work 5 days a week and I know her schedule varies. Her children are still young but she is thinking ahead and wondering if she can do this. So I thought I'd ask for those who may have done it, or are currently doing it to chime in with advice and opinions. Can it be done?

Thank you :)

It can be done. It is not easy. It gets harder as the kids get older, though many people mistakenly think it will get easier as they get older. It helps if your friend has a strong tendency towards order and getting things done. If she's more retiring, she will most likely feel she is spread too thin.

Yes, I work about 20 hours a week outside of the home. I work and additional 5-10 at home. Whether she can do it would depend on a lot of variables.

For me, the key is organization. My time is very structured. I can't get behind with laundry, etc. because it would be so hard to catch up.

Also, my parents live 2 blocks away and are willing to help me by watching my boys in the afternoons.

My dh is also helpful with chores around the house and giving me time to plan lessons or just sit down and take a break.

Without these things, I don't know if I could do it.

My major drawback is we can't just have fun days learning very often. It's a tight schedule so I have google lists running instead of going to check it out right now and learn something fun! I wish I could have that attitude, but tick tock, time's awastin'. I have to wake up early to work a little extra with my middle schooler and my days are long and tiring. I stay up way too late and struggle to fit in exercise.

Overall, I do have to work. My dh was laid off from an oh-so-dreamy job and will likely never see that again. So it goes. I've found work that I don't mind, even if I don't like it. I make good money in short hours. My kids like spending time with my folks and vice versa. It works out.

HTH

I do, Lisa, but it took some doing. I am a transcriber for hearing impaired college and high school students. I started three years ago with the training and worked on a local college campus for 2.5 years. The training is something she could do at home ahead of time (although in my case, the university hired me and paid for my training). The in-person experience -- working on a local campus -- is pretty invaluable, and is what takes some "doing." There needs to be a school nearby that will use the services enough for her to get some experience. If there is, great! She could try to get hired. If not, she could approach it more entrepreneurially and try to get them to hire her. (She could work on this before going through the training).

Once she has some experience, there are companies that hire remote transcribers. That's what I'm doing 100% now, and I started this last April. The companies I contract to give me assignments, and to go to work, I go into my room, connect with students all over the country via Skype (using headphones on my end and a mic. on their end), and type away. I use the TypeWell software over the internet and the students can read what I'm typing in real time. It's pretty great and it pays pretty well, too. One couldn't do this from home AND be available to the kids -- the kids have to be okay on their own. Anyway, just a thought. I know it's the rare situation where this will work out -- but it worked out for me, and may work out for others, too.

I always have. I work full time and so does dh. We used to work split shifts so I would get home at 4pm and he would leave at 4:30pm and we split the homeschooling duties.

Then we moved here.our youngest ds now goes to our school and loves it but the older one wanted to continue homeschooling so we let him. He does online classes and then we do discussions in the evenings and on weekends, etc. I actually think it is easier when they get older because they don't need your constant supervision. We have a nanny for our 2yo so there is an adult in the home while he works on his lessons but that is about it.

It can be done but it is busy and you have to be organized.

I work part-time (20 hours a week) most of the year and more (35+) during tax season. I have found it extremely helpful that my dh's "off" season for his cyclical job happens to be Jan-April! :) He doesn't do much of the homeschooling, really, but relieves me of the general outside-of-school childcare (5 & 7yo rowdy boys!). I try to plan my HS schedule so that we are winding down & finishing up several subjects in March & off for most of April (our summer).

I homeschooled before I had to return to the workforce. I'm sure people can make it work, especially if their schedule is flexible or they can work from home. I'm not organized or disciplined enough to do it all, and I would be short-changing my kids if I worked full time and homeschooled. Afterschooling is a challenge as well, but it works for us. Homeschooling is still on the table if needed in the future, but it would mean changing jobs or making changes to my current position.

Thank you to everyone who took the time to reply. I'll probably forward this thread to my friend so she can read the replies for herself.

And I just want to add that I think all of you who do or have done both working and schooling at the same time are absolutely amazing! I don't know if I would have it in me!

Edited by Mrs. A
Kudos

I'm a single mom and I work 32 hours (4 days) a week. I work 2nd shift, so our schooling is primarily done before I leave for work, with readings and things dd doesn't need my direct interaction for to be done after I leave.

It can be done, but it does take work and organization. If you have a spouse, their support is necessary even if you're not working and homeschooling. But a spouse isn't required to work and homeschool. ;)

I'm a single mom and I work 32 hours (4 days) a week. I work 2nd shift, so our schooling is primarily done before I leave for work, with readings and things dd doesn't need my direct interaction for to be done after I leave.

It can be done, but it does take work and organization. If you have a spouse, their support is necessary even if you're not working and homeschooling. But a spouse isn't required to work and homeschool. ;)

WOW! I am so impressed. I have no idea how you do this - but hats off to you. I am in awe.