Menu

What is going on in Mississippi??

The only thought I have is that those charge with rape were for statutory rape. Quite often that can mean a young adult with a teen girlfriend in a consensual relationship. That's the best spin I could put on that. But if I lived in Mississippi, I would want to know the basis for their pardon.

Those convicted for murder? Unless there was specific evidence exonerating them, that is way out of line.

Isn't this the same Governor Barbour who refused to pardon posthumously the civil rights era student Clyde Kennard who was brought up on patently false charges by the state itself and convicted to 7 years for a crime he did not commit? His only real "crime" being that he tried to enroll in Mississippi Southern and refused to back down when told no for being black? It does not sit well with me that he refused to do that (concerns that the family would sue, despite their willingness to release all claims and despite them having a case regardless?)

That said, while unpopular, governors have the legal right and in some cases the moral responsibility to make pardons to those whose sentences do no match the crime or current risk or circumstances. There are many reasons for a pardon and I seriously doubt any Gov. has ever pardoned someone because they supported crime or the crimes that the people were convicted from. In some cases, this is the last way for someone who was unjustly convicted to get any relief. I think it is telling that to a one they all seem to do it right before leaving office- they know it is the right thing to do in many cases but can't do it because it makes for a shocking, if very surface level, headline.

Edited by kijipt

I feel so bad for the guy who is now afraid for his life because the man who tried to kill him is out free. I have trouble believing he was wrongly convicted, either, considering his victim lived to ID him.

I don't know the specifics of this case you're referring to, but eyewitness ID is quite unreliable, even that of the victim. Many of the guys on death row freed by DNA evidence were there on the basis of eyewitness ID. http://www.innocenceproject.org/understand/Eyewitness-Misidentification.php I'm posting this just to disseminate the info. I don't know if the law about instruction to juries has been changed anywhere and yet we have a situation in which eyewitness ID is valued highly by jurors but known to be unreliable.

Rape is a case where the victim is often the one providing the eyewitness ID, yet when old cases are revisited that were tried before DNA, the eyewitness ID turns out to be unreliable.

Edited by Laurie4b

I don't know the specifics of this case you're referring to, but eyewitness ID is quite unreliable, even that of the victim. Many of the guys on death row freed by DNA evidence were there on the basis of eyewitness ID. http://www.innocenceproject.org/understand/Eyewitness-Misidentification.php I'm posting this just to disseminate the info. I don't know if the law about instruction to juries has been changed anywhere and yet we have a situation in which eyewitness ID is valued highly by jurors but known to be unreliable.

Rape is a case where the victim is often the one providing the eyewitness ID, yet when old cases are revisited that were tried before DNA, the eyewitness ID turns out to be unreliable.

In the article linked, it said that the man shot his own wife and this man. I don't think there was much doubt who did it. ;)

I'm not up on the story, but in my state the push to get "expensive" people out of state responsibility is on. Medical costs can be hundreds of thousands of dollars, and the state eats this if the person is under its care. There are even patients who TRY to get committed or incarcerated to get their cardiac bypass, cancer, etc. taken care of. We certainly see it for winter shelter and extensive dental work.

When I read the headline, this crossed my mind.

In the article linked, it said that the man shot his own wife and this man. I don't think there was much doubt who did it. ;)

I wasn't responding to the particular case, as I said in my post, but to this statement: "I have trouble believing he was wrongly convicted, either, considering his victim lived to ID him. "

The more people (potential jurors) who know that eyewitness testimony is unreliable, the better. Certainly, if victim knows the perpetrator, that is different.

I'm glad the courts had the sense to block so many of these pardons. Not a single news article I've read has hinted that any of the FOURTEEN pardoned murderers were wrongly convicted. The block was based on Barbour not following the rules for pardons - potential pardons must be published 30 days ahead of time.

Was he counting on a block? Does the pardon make him look good to the prisoners while the AG is the bad guy in blocking the pardons? Does a potential POTUS candidate *care* what felons think since they can't vote? Why alienate thousands of voters then? What is going on behind the scenes here????

We want to know what is going on too. Former Gov. Barbour issued over 200 pardons! There are several SELF-CONFESSED murderers in the pile. We are grateful that our Attorney General has stepped forward and is trying to act to reverse some of this.

We have been quite shocked and upset by the whole thing.

I wasn't responding to the particular case, as I said in my post, but to this statement: "I have trouble believing he was wrongly convicted, either, considering his victim lived to ID him. "

The more people (potential jurors) who know that eyewitness testimony is unreliable, the better. Certainly, if victim knows the perpetrator, that is different.

I was discussing the specific article linked. To me, victim ID plus other victim being his wife sounds pretty convincing. We're not talking about picking someone out of a line-up when you've only seen them once before.

Now I see a news story that one of the wife killers (apparently more than one of the pardoned had killed his wife) shot his wife while she held their child. So sad!

Edited by angela in ohio