Menu

Let's say we wanted to take a vacation

My Doc would have let me do it of course dh and I took a month when I was about 5 months pregnant and went to the FL keys and back on our sailboat. We left from Cape Canaveral and returned to Daytona Beach, so it wasn't 1000's of miles. One thing to consider is how out of whack your body will be and you may be extremely uncomfortable by then. I would also talk to your doctor.

You will need to consider the possibility of the baby coming early, and what impact that will have on 1) the baby's delivery if you are away from home (location, delivery choices, financial impact such as insurance coverage, finding a medical provider who would take you, ability to deal with any special situations that may arise), and 2) the family's trip (deposits lost if you can't go, whether you'll get the most out of it if you do go but mom isn't up to dragging around the park, etc.).

Personally, I'd find it stressful to be organizing a trip at the same time as preparing for the baby, not to mention that the travel would be hard on me.

I've actually never gone into labor...this will be my 3rd scheduled c-section. It only takes about 4 hours or less to get there and my dh can have the camper broke down and ready to go in 30 minutes if necessary :D I think we are going to go, we won't lose but about 40 bucks if we cancel and we buy season passes to the park yearly anyway :)

You will need to consider the possibility of the baby coming early, and what impact that will have on 1) the baby's delivery if you are away from home (location, delivery choices, financial impact such as insurance coverage, finding a medical provider who would take you, ability to deal with any special situations that may arise), and 2) the family's trip (deposits lost if you can't go, whether you'll get the most out of it if you do go but mom isn't up to dragging around the park, etc.).

Personally, I'd find it stressful to be organizing a trip at the same time as preparing for the baby, not to mention that the travel would be hard on me.

You might want to take a copy of your prenatal record with you. I've been the OB nurse for some ladies who went into labor too far from home and ended up in my hospital, and I always appreciated having the prenatal records available quickly. Even if you just have contractions and aren't sure whether you are in labor or not and decide to stop in and be checked. We do call and try to get your records once you show up but that can take time, and it is a lot more efficient if you have your records with you in case there is something the staff really needs to be aware of in them.

You might want to take a copy of your prenatal record with you. I've been the OB nurse for some ladies who went into labor too far from home and ended up in my hospital, and I always appreciated having the prenatal records available quickly. Even if you just have contractions and aren't sure whether you are in labor or not and decide to stop in and be checked. We do call and try to get your records once you show up but that can take time, and it is a lot more efficient if you have your records with you in case there is something the staff really needs to be aware of in them.

I agree. I would also gather a bit of basic info about nearby hospitals and/or OBs on your route and your destination. (Addresses and phone numbers, for example.) I've had to find one on the road when I needed a pregnancy issue checked out, and it turned out to be fairly difficult to find someone who would see me, let alone talking them into actually giving me an appointment. An emergency room is an option, but if you've already checked out which hospitals have a labor & delivery ward, you'll know which one to head for if the need arises, especially if you would need to do a surgical birth; not every hospital is set up for that.

I"m not trying to be negative here, but having had to find a suitable facility on the fly once myself, I found that it's actually not as easy as you'd think, and should you find yourself with a pregnancy-related issue, time could be important. Having a "just in case" plan would give you the confidence to relax and enjoy your vacation.

My midwife strongly advised me not to travel that late. Apart from the concerns about the baby perhaps coming early, away from my regular care providers, she said that a long drive could cause problems with circulation and blood clots.

At the end of March and I would be about 36 weeks pregnant. Is it okay to travel that late in pregnancy? We will be about 250 miles from home at an amusement park and we will be driving and pulling our travel trailer with us.

Considering that I was a gigantic whale-sized woman at that many weeks, no way would I have had any desire to do that! I don't know how often you have to go to the bathroom, but 250 miles would equal a lot of stops for me! :D Also, you will have to walk all over the amusement park. That would be of concern for swelling feet, etc. I wouldn't want to, but you might be different.

How early/late were you with other pregnancies? That would probably factor into it for me too. I wouldn't want to do anything that would induce labor so far from home.

I have an appt with my OB Monday morning so I will ask his opinion. I won't have to walk all over the park because I'm planning to take my moms little motorized scooter ;). I'm a nurse so I feel pretty confident that I can recognize any issues early on enough to get the heck out of dodge. I've never delivered before 38 weeks and they were all c-sections. We have been there many times and are very familiar with the area and it's only a quick trip for 3 days.

Agree with above. I personally would not want to be traveling that late in a pregnancy, but that's just me. Also, I did have problems with babies coming 3-4 weeks early.