Menu

What are your favorite children's books written in the last 10-20 years?

lisabees

Ella Enchanted - Gail Carson Levine

The Harry Potter series - J.K. Rowling - of course

The Graveyard Book - Neil Gaiman

Holes - Louis Sachar

The Tale of Despereaux - Kate DiCamillo

Breadcrumbs - Anne Ursu (I think probably 6th or 7th at least to appreciate the themes)

The Invention of Hugo Cabret - Brian Selznick

Looking to change things up around here by adding more contemporary literature. The setting doesn't need to be in modern times. Looking for 4th-8th grade reading level. Thanks!

Hunger Games trilogy (The first is very good imho. I have mixed emotions on the others, which grow darker, if possible. The third felt a bit rushed the first time I read it.

Mysterious Benedict Society trilogy

Thieves of Ostia series

Percy Jackson

The Devil's Arithmetic

Laurence Yep's books set in modern San Francisco (Chinatown Mysteries series, The Case of the Lion Dance is one of them. I think there are three, plus a related title about the daughter of a Chinese American woman who is a housekeeper.)

Children of Battleship Row

Carolyn Meyer books about English royalty

Gail Carson Levine fairy tale reboot stories (Elle Enchanted is one)

Shakespeare Stealer and two sequels by Blackwood

ETA:

Shabanu: Daughter of the Wind by Staples

Homeless Bird by Whelan

A Time of Angels by Hesse

Edited by Sebastian (a lady)

I'd agree with many of the previous titles. I won't retype them all, but here are a few more I didn't see mentioned.

Wonderstruck

The Candymakers

Where the Mountain Meets the Moon

Chasing Vermeer

I doubt any of them will make the ranks of enduring classics, but dd and I both enjoyed them.

I don't think I've repeated too many.

Summerland by Michael Chabon

anything by Nancy Farmer (the Sea of Trolls trilogy is OK for the middle grades, the rest for a bit older kids)

Haroun and the Sea of Stories and sequel by Rushdie

Michael Morpurgo

Peter Dickenson

Garth Nix

Michelle Paver's Chronicles of Ancient Darkness series

Skellig and My Name is Mina by Almond

Pullman's His Dark Materials trilogy

M. T. Anderson

Philip Reeve (particularly his Mortal Engines Quartet)

Walter Moers

Grace Lin

Daniel Pinkwater

Diana Wynne Jones

Un Lun Dun by China Miéville

Cornish's Monster Blood Tattoo series

Tamora Pierce

Scott Westerfeld

Terry Pratchett's Tiffany Aching series

Margaret Mahy

Bone by Jeff Smith

Neil Gaiman

In addition to the authors already mentioned like Kate DiCamillo, Richard Peck, Avi, Brian Selznik, Blue Balliett etc., some writers I think who are making great quality middle grades literature in the last decade include:

Karen Cushman

Deborah Wiles

Kathi Applelt

Grace Lin

Rita Williams-Garcia

Ingrid Law

Jennifer Holm

Laurie Halse Anderson

Cynthia Lord

Christopher Paul Curtis

Wendy Mass

Gloria Whelan

There's a lot of great literature for this age group being produced. :)

The Harry Potter series - J.K. Rowling - of course

Anyone else shocked when you do the math and find that the first Harry Potter book came out fifteen years ago?! I didn't hear of them until a couple of years later, though, and read the first couple while pregnant with ds.

Breadcrumbs - Anne Ursu (I think probably 6th or 7th at least to appreciate the themes)

I like everything else on your list, so I'm definitely going to look for this one, which I haven't heard of before.

Aah - I am so excited. So many authors/books I have never heard of before!

I found M.T. Anderson's Whales on Stilts and Shabanu at the used book store. I am enjoying Anderson's book myself! DD will like that for sure.

I have also ordered her Tumtum and Nutmeg. I loved Homeless Bird when I read it to ds12; I'll be sure to check out Whelan's other work.

Moira, farrar and Sebastian - you each gave me options I didn't know existed. Thank you so much!

I found M.T. Anderson's Whales on Stilts and Shabanu at the used book store. I am enjoying Anderson's book myself! DD will like that for sure.

I'm looking forward to hearing about your hits. :)

I adore MT Anderson. This has been posted here before, but here's a fantastic essay of his about the importance of having a message in children's lit entitled On Ideology and Chickens with Blankets.

I'm looking forward to hearing about your hits. :)

I adore MT Anderson. This has been posted here before, but here's a fantastic essay of his about the importance of having a message in children's lit entitled On Ideology and Chickens with Blankets.

Hey Moira, I found that great thread; I remembered participating in it! Here it is.

The funny bit is that may favorite parts of his essay today are the same as 2010.

And btw, because of your Ramona recommendation, I went ahead and gave Beezus and Ramona to dd8 (I'd always stayed away from her for some reason). She is really enjoying it and so am I!

Where the Mountain Meets the Moon -- I just love the style of this book!

DragonRider

George's Secret Key to the universe, by Lucy and Stephen Hawking (great blend of science and fiction, first book in a 3 book series)

Princess Academy

DragonRider was well-loved here as an audio book, narrated by Brendan Fraser. I read aloud Where the Mountain Meets the Moon. What a lovely, special book.

The other two are waiting for us on the bookshelf! Thank you. ;)