Menu

Please share your favorite fairytale and poetry books

BlessedMom

I just found a bunch of poetry books that my 6yr dd & 4 yr ds LOVE! Her favorite is called "Home" it's a journey through America. There are multiple author's of the poems, which are great, but the best part is that the books are by Thomas Locker. He's a fantastic illustrator, and the pictures really help the kids "get" the poems. He has quite a few. We also really like the one called "Walking With Henry" based on the life and works of Henry David Thoreau.

Flower Fables by Louisa May Alcott is a truly wonderful collection of fairy stories but it is definately a rea aloud.

The only warning I would give is in one of the stories, the mean fairy kills Rose's child. That was hard but the story of forgiveness is so beautiful and worth that and more!

I cannot recommend this book enough!

Both my dc love The Rooster Crows, a book of early American poems. Sing a Song of Popcorn and The Random House Book of Children's Poetry are nice, too.

Both dc also love the Sonlight pre-k recommendation The Lion Storyteller Bedtime Book. My ds is almost 9 and he never tires of hearing these short little tales.

I remember enjoying Shel Silverstein when I was a kid, but as a mom I perused a copy and was, well, a little put off. :tongue_smilie:

We did Eric Carle's Animals Animals which has lovely pictures and poems from a wide variety of poets (Emily Dickinson, Carl Sandburg, Robert Louis Stevenson, etc.). We'll be doing nursery rhymes this year and A. A. Milne's And Now We Are Six.

This is my first time posting on this board, but I thought I'd jump in and say that we love Jack Prelutsky's books of poems here. The New Kid on the Block and A Pizza the Size of the Sun are a couple of the ones we enjoy. His poems are usually short and funny, kind of like Shel Silverstein.

My favourite read aloud fairy tale book (not folktales, fairy tales) is At the Stroke of Midnight by Helen Cresswell. It's unfortunately out-of-print, but is worth the $15 or so to pick it up used. Cresswell, one of our favourite contemporary children's authors, wrote this in response to her frustration in trying to find good read aloud fairy tales for her child(ren). This book is a good stepping stone to Lang and Grimm.

I would suggest going to your local library and checking out the 398.2 and 398.208 sections of the juvenile non-fiction stacks. You may find some real gems.

In general, my kids have liked all the Usborne anthologies. The also LOVE Around the World in 80 Tales by Saviour Pirotta.

Tara

• 1 month later...

I concur, A Child's Garden of Verses is an excellent book. I also like Poems to Read for the Very Young, Emily Dickinson's poems and for fairy tales, A Children's Treasury of Fairy Tales (in my siggy for K, but of course would also be appropriate for first grade).

We've loved a number of poetry books mentioned...

Animals, Animals - Carle

A Child's Garden of Verses - illustrated by Diane Goode

Dirt on My Shirt - Foxworthy (a huge favorite)

anything by Jack Prelutsky

For fairy tales, we've liked books illustrated by K.C. Craft (also under Kinuko Craft at my library) such as Sleeping Beauty, Tom Thumb, Cinderella. Beautiful illustrations.

Sleeping Bunny - Keller

Bunny and the Beast - Keller

(both so well done)

Cinderella - McClintock

(light hearted)

There are so many versions it's hard to pick sometimes!