Menu

Update to my son's anaphlactic reaction!

He had more allergy testing this morning. Poor kid was poked SOOOO many times. The good news!!! He tested allergic to shrimp. That is good news because when he reacted a couple weeks ago, we had NO idea what he reacted TO!!!! He had just eaten a seafood soup. NOW it makes sense.

The bad news: he added casein to his list of allergens. It was mild. BUT, he's not allergic to milk itself. So, our allergist recommended taking all milk out of his diet for a little while. Then, add it back in with a vengeance one day. See if he has any reaction. If not, he's good with milk.

I'm relieved!!!!!

Shrimp is a pretty serious one. I am not exactly sure why but almost all people allergic to shrimp are also allergic to iodine and betadine which are commonly used in hospitals both externally and internally and I have had to stop hospital personelle from using them on me even though it is written across the front of my records in big red letters. My first major anaphalactic reaction was to the dye used for contrast xrays which contains iodine I believe so you may want to check this out. Luckily, shrimp is usually pretty easy to avoid.

Shrimp is a pretty serious one. I am not exactly sure why but almost all people allergic to shrimp are also allergic to iodine and betadine which are commonly used in hospitals both externally and internally and I have had to stop hospital personelle from using them on me even though it is written across the front of my records in big red letters. My first major anaphalactic reaction was to the dye used for contrast xrays which contains iodine I believe so you may want to check this out. Luckily, shrimp is usually pretty easy to avoid.

My 13yo is allergic to shrimp - I'll keep the iodine and betadine in mind. (He is also allergic to latex.)

And, FYI, my shrimp-allergic ds is also allergic to crawdads. No one was thinking "shrimp allergy" for a camping trip to the mountains. Thank goodness one of the leaders was an M.D. - he handled it fine.:tongue_smilie:

I reacted to shrimp when I was younger (not anaphylactic - I would throw up when exposed.) I seemed to outgrow it as I no longer have any shrimp issues.

I've had a shellfish allergy my whole life. Hasn't affected me in any other way nor am I allergic to any other "substance"....just those little bugs masquerading as seafood that inhabit our oceans. And yes, to me shrimp and lobster are just bugs that live underwater. :ack2: :lol:

Oh, I typically avoid eating all seafood just because I don't know what other seafood creatures my salmon has been "fraternizing" with. Or if it happened to spend some time on a cutting board, grill or saute pan following some shellfish. Also...seafood restaurants (like Red Lobster) are a no-no. Cross contamination happens easily in places like that.

Yes! I have a shellfish allergy and I cannot take a multivitamin with iodine in it (if you use vitamins, look for one that is specially designed for allergies). I also cannot be doused with betadine for a surgery (my ob tried to do this for my c-sect - than goodness dh was standing right there and pointed out the big, red note on my chart!! :svengo:). Another thing to watch for is buying fresh fish - in one of the grocery stores I go to, they don't have separate cases for the shellfish and regular fish, and often times the shrimp will tumble onto the tuna or cod - please notice if the store keeps those things separate before purchasing any fish from there.

So glad you got some answers. My DS7 is allergic to fish and shellfish - if your DS is allergic to shrimp, it is probably best to assume he's allergic to all shellfish, at least initially until he's older and you can do some food challenges to see if it's just shrimp, or all shellfish.

A shellfish allergy can be a bit of a PITA, especially in open-kitchen restaurants - the proteins are released into the air when shellfish is steamed or grilled and sometimes baked. Any place that serves fried shellfish, your son can't have anything else fried since the shellfish proteins do contaminate the oil.

And cross-contamination is highly likely unless the kitchen staff have specific areas for cooking things for those with allergies - it is really, really important to emphasis to staff that it is NOT okay to touch any of your DS's food with utensils that have come in contact with shellfish.....ie. a knife used to cut a crab salad sandwich has to be thoroughly washed before cutting your son's sandwich (ask me how I know!), the cook can't turn around after flipping the grilled shrimp and use the same spatula to turn your son's grilled chicken on the other grill (ask me how I know!).

Some ethnic restaurants are just best to avoid totally if you can, or bring your son's food in with you (we do the latter with one of the asian restaurants we love, but they can't guarantee no cross-contamination, so they let us bring his meal in). Asian restaurants and seafood restaurants are the hardest ones to eat in with a shellfish allergy.....also steakhouses that do not have a separate grill for steaks and shrimp or lobster tails. The Japanese restauants with the habatchi grills - no go, they don't thoroughly clean grills between sessions, so the shrimp residue remains and cross-contaminates....unless you're first patrons of the day and the grill was properly cleaned the night before.

As a pp noted, some people with shellfish allergies have an allergy to iodine - but not all - be sure any physicans you work with know he has a shellfish allergy and they'll evaluate for iodine if there is a risk in something they'll be doing. I have a shellfish allergy but am NOT allergic to iodine, nor is DS.

A couple of other cautions - gelatin *may* contain fish or shellfish!

We've had two instances wehre local grocery stores have been doing lobster boils or shrimp boils in-store, with no warning before entering - I'm not sure if your DS will react to air-borne proteins, but situations like that happen and I've talked to the store managers and they now do post on the entrance doors if they have something like that going on. Also, the glass on the lobster tank can be contaminated too - your DS shouldn't touch it!

And the craziest place DS has had a reaction - at the beach, after picking up a wet shell that had a small crab in it! Can you say we live with the epi-pen always with us?

Edited by Tigger