Menu

s/o Book a week challenge - how do you calm down enough to read?

I find it very difficult to read. I have a few super balls jumping around in my brain and I can't concentrate.

I read in bed when I'm too tired to be up. I put a heating pad on any sore spots and sink into my nice pillows.

With any reading, if I am not concentrating on it, I read it aloud. Works wonders at increasing comprehension and concentration.

Reading is what calms me down so I can do other things. Maybe you don't have fluffy enough books. :tongue_smilie:

Rosie

:iagree:Reading is what I do to calm down if I need to focus on something else. And if that doesn't work, let me introduce you to my friend Ativan. :D

Just kidding. Well, mostly. :tongue_smilie:

I find it very difficult to read. I have a few super balls jumping around in my brain and I can't concentrate.

I have honestly found that it is simply a discipline - it gets easier with practice. I've learned so much about how I read and why I read in last year's challenge. You might want to start with books that are fun and interesting for you, not too challenging and not too long. Set a certain number of pages a day (I use two bookmarks to signal where I am and where I need to be by the end of the day). If you get easily distracted, start early in the day (before everyone's up and with a cup of coffee, even if it means setting an alarm for a while), both because your head will be clearer, and because it gives you more time to plug away at your assigned reading in short bursts (say 5 pages a time?) over the whole day. In my experience, how well you concentrate, and how much you can read in one sitting will improve.

Nikki

I'm with others who say reading IS what calms me.

Dh watches tv to relax. The noise and action ramps me up. If he's watching something stressful, I can feel my adrenaline start to go. I have to put on headphones with soothing music, if he does it right before bed.

I will say that most of my reading is non-stressful, urban fantasy, historical romance, happy ending stuff.

I joined the Shakespeare group and it's good at not ramping me up. I don't read disturbing stuff before bed. I read "Night" by Elie Weisel a few years ago and that is definitely not before bed reading. On the fiction side, I don't read Jodi Picoult because her endings make me mad and upset.

Reading IS what calms me down. I would never be able to sleep at night if I didnt read.

Me too. I just head into a book to escape my own difficulties for a time.

I'd be lost without reading.

Which doesn't answer the OP of course. Perhaps you could look on opening a book as an escapist adventure? Heading somewhere else for a mini mind vacation?

I've had a terrible time concentrating enough to read for the past few years. I can't count the number of books I've never finished, or skimmed to the end to get it over with. However, I've recently found, and I know this sounds strange, that I can read with very few problems on my Nook. I've finished 5 or 6 books on it since Thanksgiving, and that's a huge deal for me.