Menu

Ok..silly question abt the pronunciation of the word "texted"

For some reason, I've noticed that when people say something like this, "I texted her, but she didn't respond" that they are saying the word "texted" like "text-ed." I don't know if that is the right pronunciation or if it should sound more like "texted" as in one syllable with a "t" sound on the end. I know now from homeschooling that the phonogram "ed" says three sounds, ed, d, and t, so which one is right for this word?

Now I'm thinking that I'm kinda crazy to let this little thing bother me.:tongue_smilie:

I. Think it should be the -ed sound. Inmost of the other words I've come across that end in a -t or -d they use the -ed sound.

Bunted

Hunted

Booted

Ended

Clouded

Hounded

A the moment I can't think of a single word that end with -t or -d and you add -ed instead of changing the word ( send, sent) where you wouldn't use the -ed sound.

I. Think it should be the -ed sound. Inmost of the other words I've come across that end in a -t or -d they use the -ed sound.

Bunted

Hunted

Booted

Ended

Clouded

Hounded

A the moment I can't think of a single word that end with -t or -d and you add -ed instead of changing the word ( send, sent) where you wouldn't use the -ed sound.

What about the word baked? According to my Phonics Road program for the kids, it says it's spelled with a ed but pronounced with a t. Maybe I'm reading too far into this:)

I can't make myself say it like slept, wept, tripped, dripped, dropped, etc. It would sound exactly the same as the present-tense "text" if pronounced that way. I say text-ed to be clear that I'm talking about the past.

This is true. I can't say "I text somebody" if I'm talking about something I already did. Sounds like texted with the ed sound is the best choice.

Thanks for your input on this ladies, just something I had thought sounded funny that I wanted clarification on.

Bunted

Hunted

Booted

Ended

Clouded

Hounded

The rule is that when a word ends with the sound of /t/ or /d/, you add -ed and it's a syllable.

So although it might make some people crazy that "text" has become a verb, it must nevertheless be pronounced as a two-syllable word: text ed.

The rule is that when a word ends with the sound of /t/ or /d/, you add -ed and it's a syllable.

So although it might make some people crazy that "text" has become a verb, it must nevertheless be pronounced as a two-syllable word: text ed.

Thanks! I love hearing the rules behind it. I am also glad to hear you chime in; I've always liked reading your posts and comments on the Spalding method these past six months that I have been researching different LA methods. I love that book, the Writing Road to Reading. I guess I should have checked there first!

:iagree: My 2nd graders have been covering this rule in their grammar book- if the base word ends in a t or d then it gets another syllable.

:iagree: I'm not a fan of "verbifying" nouns, but the OP's question has a clear-cut answer.

I mean the word "baked" ends in a /t/ sound verses /ed/.

But the word you're adding the -ed ending to is bake, so it doesn't fit the rule I mentioned. In my list all the base words ended in a -d or -t, your example does not. There are many of words that would have -ed saying the /t/ or /d/ sound but they don't end in the /d/ or /t/ sound.

Thanks! I love hearing the rules behind it. I am also glad to hear you chime in; I've always liked reading your posts and comments on the Spalding method these past six months that I have been researching different LA methods. I love that book, the Writing Road to Reading. I guess I should have checked there first!

Aw, thanks!!

And it's Rule 28. :D