Menu

Help, please!

fraidycat

I'm driving myself insane. :confused::D

I am trying to pick curriculum for my kids. We are brand new to homeschooling as of Christmas break. DS is pretty easy, since he's K5 - so I can start at the beginning and we've already started on Phonics Pathways for reading. I'm running into issues trying to pick for DD9 (ps 4th grade), though. Especially for Language Arts.

From questioning her, I've discerned that she doesn't really have any grammar, yet. I am leaning toward MCT - Island series. Am I correct in assuming that I would only need to add penmanship and spelling to this? Do I even need penmanship, or do I just incorporate it into her daily assignments by requiring neat, legible work? Also, do I need to add any other writing?

Now for spelling: I will be using AAS for DS5. Although I do feel that DD9 could use *some* phonics instruction due to gaps in her education (from moving a LOT, and being in PS up until now), it doesn't need to be in a real formal manner as she is a fairly natural speller and reader, and doesn't seem to be having any noticeable problems. I think that by having her "teach", or help me with her little brother, she will pick up on any phonics that might be missing - as she is currently in a period of de-schooling until after we move in January and get settled in February, but DS is eager to learn to read so we've started the PP with him. She has already started trying to "be the boss" when we're doing PP, so I plan to use that to my (and her - sneaky, sneaky :D) advantage.

So, I guess my question is, what do you recommend for a spelling program for her? I think it would be easier to pick a curriculum for her if she had problems. :confused:

And, should I add readers for DS. Such as I See Sam, or something like that? Are there any other good phonics readers you recommend? When would I incorporate them - after we've finished PP, or earlier?

Love MCT for Grammar, we haven't tried the writing program. I have heard it isn't strong enough...

I really like your idea of having oldest teach youngest, that's what my mother did with me and my little sisters. If she is doing "okay" at spelling and she goes through AAS with brother she should be fine. I would just have her make flashcards and work on memorization of words she misspells.

At first mine loved the little readers, "look mom, I can read this story" 100+ times a day! Later they started to hate them because the "stories" were not interesting at all.

For Language Arts for my 9 yo, we use the following:

Writing with Ease, level 3

First Language Lessons level4 ( you could easily drop to level 3)

Wordly Wise

Spelling Workout

A Reason For Handwriting

Literature is covered through Sonlight and Winter Promise materials.

For K-level readers, we like BOB books

I'm driving myself insane. :confused::D

I am trying to pick curriculum for my kids. We are brand new to homeschooling as of Christmas break. DS is pretty easy, since he's K5 - so I can start at the beginning and we've already started on Phonics Pathways for reading. I'm running into issues trying to pick for DD9 (ps 4th grade), though. Especially for Language Arts.

From questioning her, I've discerned that she doesn't really have any grammar, yet. I am leaning toward MCT - Island series. Am I correct in assuming that I would only need to add penmanship and spelling to this? Do I even need penmanship, or do I just incorporate it into her daily assignments by requiring neat, legible work? Also, do I need to add any other writing?

Now for spelling: I will be using AAS for DS5. Although I do feel that DD9 could use *some* phonics instruction due to gaps in her education (from moving a LOT, and being in PS up until now), it doesn't need to be in a real formal manner as she is a fairly natural speller and reader, and doesn't seem to be having any noticeable problems. I think that by having her "teach", or help me with her little brother, she will pick up on any phonics that might be missing - as she is currently in a period of de-schooling until after we move in January and get settled in February, but DS is eager to learn to read so we've started the PP with him. She has already started trying to "be the boss" when we're doing PP, so I plan to use that to my (and her - sneaky, sneaky :D) advantage.

So, I guess my question is, what do you recommend for a spelling program for her? I think it would be easier to pick a curriculum for her if she had problems. :confused:

And, should I add readers for DS. Such as I See Sam, or something like that? Are there any other good phonics readers you recommend? When would I incorporate them - after we've finished PP, or earlier?

Lots of great choices at Heart of Dakota and all the planning is done for you. It incorporates the classical skills of narration, dictation, chronogical history, etc. into one easy to follow guide. And it's very flexible and easy to tailor to your child even with it's structured leading. This is our third year with it!

I highly suggest the emerging readers set at HOD as well...great follow up to reading programs.

For Language Arts for my 9 yo, we use the following:

Writing with Ease, level 3

First Language Lessons level4 ( you could easily drop to level 3)

Wordly Wise

Spelling Workout

A Reason For Handwriting

Literature is covered through Sonlight and Winter Promise materials.

For K-level readers, we like BOB books

Thank you! Interestingly enough, I had only skimmed past most of these options when really it sounds like they'll be just what I need.

FLL3, WWE3, Spelling Workout D and Wordly Wise 4. Does that sound about right?

First of all just take a breath. You have time.

Don't jump into it all.

MCT is a great place to start. Island level. I am doing that with my 4th grader this year. Here is a year long plan. This is a great blog for reading.

Pick your math, and see how it goes. You can add as you go. You are going to get so much advice from different people, and there are many good choices. Teach those for a couple of weeks, find out what kind of teacher you are, and what kind of students yours kids are. Then add in slowly.

WWE and FLL are great, and I tried jumping in, but it was hard. SWB has a new series that start at 5th grade. It is a continuation of them, but also a starting point.

Just ease in. I started last year with a 3rd grader and a 3 year old, and I over planned and changed a lot.

Best of luck

Don't jump into it all.

MCT is a great place to start. Island level. I am doing that with my 4th grader this year. Here is a year long plan. This is a great blog for reading.

Pick your math, and see how it goes. You can add as you go. You are going to get so much advice from different people, and there are many good choices. Teach those for a couple of weeks, find out what kind of teacher you are, and what kind of students yours kids are. Then add in slowly.

WWE and FLL are great, and I tried jumping in, but it was hard. SWB has a new series that start at 5th grade. It is a continuation of them, but also a starting point.

Just ease in. I started last year with a 3rd grader and a 3 year old, and I over planned and changed a lot.

Best of luck

Thank you for the good wishes. I did have to giggle at your opening lines. This is me "relaxing" and taking a deep breath. :lol::lol: We are only going to concentrate on the "3 R's" for this year. Wow, I can't even imagine trying to choose and add in history, science, health, etc. at this point. I got the 'Rithmetic picked, now it's just the Readin' and 'Ritin' I have to figure out.

;)

You're right, though. Perhaps I should just take a step back, take a break and come at it again in a few weeks with a fresh brain. I wanted to be decided before we move, so that when we get an address at the other end, I can get stuff ordered and go from there. Maybe all the move preparation and anticipation is crowding too much of my mind to make a decision and it'll be easier in few weeks.

Thanks again.

Thank you for the good wishes. I did have to giggle at your opening lines. This is me "relaxing" and taking a deep breath. :lol::lol: We are only going to concentrate on the "3 R's" for this year. Wow, I can't even imagine trying to choose and add in history, science, health, etc. at this point. I got the 'Rithmetic picked, now it's just the Readin' and 'Ritin' I have to figure out.

;)

my ds is a 10yo 4th grader and also a natural speller and good reader. this is his current LA..

Writing With Ease

Primary/Intermediate Language Lessons(i use none of the memorization)

Pentime Penmanship

Spelling is done through dictation

Literature-lots of good books

i have tried various spelling programs, but they seem useless as he spells so well. i may start a thread asking about spelling.

i think you are very smart to focus on the 3 r's. try to keep it low key as you all adjust to your new lifestyle.:grouphug:

fyi-anytime you want to edit your title, click on the "advanced edit."

Sounds like we're in similar situations - I just started hsing dd9 in October, after 1 quarter of 4th grade. You can see in my sig line what we are using . . . I just wanted to add that IMO, First Language Lessons 4 is a great, easy intro to grammar for a ps kid. It starts at the beginning (which I'm assuming is review if you've used the previous FLLs?) and she has had no trouble following it. In fact, when we started, she "didn't like" grammar, now she loves it, especially diagramming!

We've also been really enjoying Writing With Ease 3, which I've found to be fine for a 4th grader - you can modify the instructions to make it more challenging as she develops. For example, I now have her do the summary w/o the comprehension questions, and I really have her keep working until she comes up with a *good* 3-4 sentence summary, whereas at the beginning I accepted anything reasonable. I've seen a lot of progress in just 2 months. I'm planning on going from WWE3 to WWS in 5th grade, I think she'll be ready for it (without spending a year on WWE4).

For DD5, we are using the Bob books to supplement a phonics program, as well as various easy readers I get from the library. She has been liking the School Zone Start To Read books, too.

Edited by rroberts707

You got a lot of great suggestions already.

My nearly 9 year old is using these for language arts:

Sequential Spelling

Writing Strands

Easy Grammar

Evan Moor Daily Language Review

Wordly Wise

Jane Ervins Reading Comprehension

English From the Roots Up

Handwriting Without Tears Cursive

I also really like Explode The Code and for readers I just had my oldest work through Dr Seuss Beginner Books and Usborne Apple Tree Farm books (love Apple Tree Farm readers). http://www.starfall.com is good too.

About penmanship---if she's a good writer I don't see a need, or you can just add a quick Handwriting Without Tears Print and Cursive review.

WWE3 is great to use in addition to MCT. We did the Island Level, but switched to FLL for Grade Four. I have to say that I love FLL, and you could start at Level Four with no problems.

For penmanship, you could pick up a program or, if your child has neat work and forms letters properly, you could skip a separate program.

We use Soaring With Spelling, and like it.

I don't think you need Wordly Wise -- you have vocabulary study in MCT and I don't find Wordy Wise effective for vocabulary.

Explode the Code is an excellent and easy way to cover phonics. Your child would quickly go through the books -- you could start at 4 or 5?

All the best!

I don't think you need Wordly Wise -- you have vocabulary study in MCT and I don't find Wordy Wise effective for vocabulary.

I guess ymmv. I find Wordly Wise to be very challenging and consider it an important component to our curriculum choices. And thus far I've found it "effective"

I've looked at MCT and wasn't impressed.

My point is I guess we all need to research and make these choices for ourselves. ;)

Thank you! Interestingly enough, I had only skimmed past most of these options when really it sounds like they'll be just what I need.

Those are some great picks, IMHO. You won't go wrong there. We also liked Climbing to Good English, it seems to augment FLL and give a little more practice (mine needed a bit more). We have moved to R&S English mostly because of cost and because it takes less teacher time, but I have nothing but good things to say about FLL.

You might also look into Classical Writing instead of WWE, we did that just to shake things up a bit but again WWE is really good and works well. Wordly Wise is good, and there is another one calle Vocabulary in Action that is great as well. We are doing R&S Spelling instead of Spelling Workout, but I think on reflection I might like Spelling Workout a little better.

These will be a great start for you as a new homeschooler. All are easy to use and teacher/student friendly. Feel free to PM me is you'd like more help!

Don't jump into it all.

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

This is the most wise advice.

Do whatever you have to so that you can just start simply. Let go of pressure, guilt, fear, and the nagging what ifs and just start with one or two subjects. Really. You can add them in on a bi-weekly basis.

If you are taking time to read out loud to your kids most every day, they will be just fine.

I hope you feel welcome here on the boards. As you get into your curriculum, you'll have more questions and I have found this to be a super helpful place to come.

Bless you

Andrea