Menu

Another "Find me a book" thread.

Are you ok with another?

I need book recommendations. I don't read a lot of fiction, but I want to start.

Favorite authors include: Kurt Vonnegut, David Sedaris, Lester Bangs. I like philosophy, but I can't handle anything too intellectual at the moment (pregnancy brain).

Controversial ok, other religions or cultures ok. Would prefer no chick-lit unless it's witty and not whiny (no Shopaholics series for example).

Thanks!!

Well, I'm not too familiar with your favorite authors, but I can't pass up the chance to recommend Sigrid Undset to someone! :D Her trilogy called "Kristin Lavransdatter" is set in medieval Norway and is one of the best books I've ever read. Get the new translation by Tiina Nunnally if at all possible. [You might enjoy the birthing scene(s).] Hope you find something good to read!

You might enjoy books by A.J. Jacobs (who I find funnier than Sedaris).

Other authors you might like:

Terry Prachett

Walter Moers

Jasper Fforde

Also, if you haven't read it, The Book Thief by Markus Zusak is wonderful, but heartbreakingly sad too. (Not sure if you can handle that one on pregnancy brain.)

I just finished The Passage by Justin Cronin, which is a post apocalyptic novel. I couldn't put it down. I also just found out it was the first in a trilogy, so my initial complaint that the ending didn't wrap the story up enough is moot. I am also reading In the Garden of Beasts by Erik Larsen about the American Ambassador to Germany in the 30s (non fiction), which is also good.

Anything by Haven Kimmel. I loved A Girl Named Zippy and She Got Up Off the Couch was my favorite. I think about it all the time. Her fiction is fantastic, too. I second whoever recommended AJ Jacobs. A Year of Living Biblically was awesome. Anna Quindlen is wonderful, too. I read Rise and Shine, A Novel a few years ago and I have never been so unhappy that a novel ended. I miss those characters and I enjoyed being a part of their lives for a few days.

Are you ok with another?

I need book recommendations. I don't read a lot of fiction, but I want to start.

Favorite authors include: Kurt Vonnegut, David Sedaris, Lester Bangs. I like philosophy, but I can't handle anything too intellectual at the moment (pregnancy brain).

Controversial ok, other religions or cultures ok. Would prefer no chick-lit unless it's witty and not whiny (no Shopaholics series for example).

Thanks!!

Is Sedaris humor?

If so, have you read Bill Bryson? A Walk in the Woods is funny & interesting.

Catch-22 by Joseph Heller

:iagree: I haven't made it through this book yet, but the first thing I thought when I started reading it was that it was very like Vonnegut in the tone. (Vonnegut is one of my favorite authors too.)

You might enjoy books by A.J. Jacobs (who I find funnier than Sedaris).

:iagree:Your mention of Sedaris made me think of A.J. Jacobs too. I have read by him The Year of Living Biblically and The Know-It-All. I preferred the former, but enjoyed them both - very funny and informative, good light reading, yet still educational.