Menu

Older Christmas specials?

Am I the only person who loves shows from when I was a kid?

I just finished watching The House Without a Christmas Tree with Jason Robards. It was one of the specials that would come on every Christmas when I was a kid. It's set in 1946. It's kind of cheesy but still a nice story.

Tomorrow I'm going to watch Emmet Otter's Jug Band Christmas.

I've got to get Peanuts in there somewhere too, and the old standbys like Rudolf and Frosty.

My kids don't like my older shows though. Apparently they are for "old people". :glare:

I love the Charlie Brown Christmas special!

I'm embarrassed to admit, I also have a soft spot for Yogi's First Christmas. I watched it last Christmas, for the first time in many years, and I couldn't believe how much of it I remembered, and how much I still enjoyed it. :tongue_smilie:

And I really love old Christmas movies, too!

My kids watch the "oldies" -- I didn't grow up with them, but their dad did and he insists they share the love LOL. Mandatory fun ;) they love all of the Charlie Brown specials.

Do you know what bad movie I remember from childhood? It had to have been around the holidays because that was typically the time of year we came here. The Incredible Mr. Limpet. Part cartoon, part movie, all so bad it was good. Don Knotts, that goofy looking actor. It was one of those few regular exposures to American culture that I had as a kid LOL.

Do you know what bad movie I remember from childhood? It had to have been around the holidays because that was typically the time of year we came here. The Incredible Mr. Limpet. Part cartoon, part movie, all so bad it was good. Don Knotts, that goofy looking actor. It was one of those few regular exposures to American culture that I had as a kid LOL.

I love all Don Knotts movies! I've got several in my Netflix queue including this one, The Ghost and Mr. Chicken and The Reluctant Astronaut. :D

I just finished watching The House Without a Christmas Tree with Jason Robards. It was one of the specials that would come on every Christmas when I was a kid. It's set in 1946. It's kind of cheesy but still a nice story.

I've got to get Peanuts in there somewhere too, and the old standbys like Rudolf and Frosty.

My kids don't like my older shows though. Apparently they are for "old people". :glare:

Beth,

House Without... and EOJBC are two of my favorites!

Did you ever read the House Without... book? it's nice!

Merry Christmas! :grouphug:

I LOVE this movie. I have it on video. I'd like to get the others in the series -- I think there are two more? Maybe just one, about Easter.

Did you ever read the House Without... book? it's nice!

I never have read the book! Maybe I should track it down.

I LOVE this movie. I have it on video. I'd like to get the others in the series -- I think there are two more? Maybe just one, about Easter.

There are 3 others with the same cast. Apparently they were released on VHS but not on DVD.

The Thanksgiving Treasure

The Easter Promise

Valentine's Day Special: Addie and the King of Hearts

I LOVE Emmet Otter! I've resorted to recruiting other people's children to watch it with me. Mine never cared for it. I'm planning to show my baby nephew bits of it just to brainwash him into liking it early.

Does anyone remember Nester the Long Eared Donkey? My mom quit letting me watch it because I cried so hard (if you've seen it, you know why). A few years ago James Bond bought it for me on DVD and I still bawl at a certain point in it. Yes, yes, it turns out well, but that one scene just does me in.

I love the old cartoon/claymation shows.

Oh, and my absolute favorite old movies are Holiday Inn (1942). It has Bing Crosby and Fred Astaire and is the original movie that had White Christmas in it (sung by Bing of course). James Bond and I watch it every year on Christmas Eve after we put Indy to bed.

Our other movie is The Bells of Saint Mary. It also stars Bing Crosby. It's not really a Christmas movie, except for the end. Also, James Bond and I agree that if you don't cry at the end of the movie, you're dead inside.

That movie has been in our Netflix queue for a few months now. I can't talk my kids into watching it with me. They always want Mythbusters or Star Trek. :tongue_smilie:

Two of my favorite older movies are:

Christmas Every Day (a kind of Groundhog Day Christmas movie)

Christmas Secret (with John-Boy Walton as a professor trying to prove that reindeer can fly)

I keep hoping to find both of them on dvd, neither are available.

And, someone mentioned the Incredible Mr. Limpet - we do have that one on dvd.:D

How about It's a Wonderful Life? I confess that after hearing about it for years and years I finally got around to watching it last year and it was a very good movie. I think my 2 boys watched it with me and enjoyed it (but they like just about every genre of movie we watch as a family).

That movie has been in our Netflix queue for a few months now. I can't talk my kids into watching it with me. They always want Mythbusters or Star Trek. :tongue_smilie:

:lol: I relate! My brother call the Wii our Mythbusters Portal because the only thing our kids really use it for is to watch MB on instant download.

One day my husband invited the kids to sit down and watch the "Mythbusters of [his] day" ... then he put on The Electric Company. I had never seen it before either, and 30 seconds in the kids and I were literally rolling around the floor in hysterics. Ah, technology, you beautiful thing!

:lol: I relate! My brother call the Wii our Mythbusters Portal because the only thing our kids really use it for is to watch MB on instant download.

One day my husband invited the kids to sit down and watch the "Mythbusters of [his] day" ... then he put on The Electric Company. I had never seen it before either, and 30 seconds in the kids and I were literally rolling around the floor in hysterics. Ah, technology, you beautiful thing!

We are at my parents house and they get the Discovery Chanel. So lots of myth busters and various other good shows.

As for Christmas specials how about the Mr. Bean Christmas special?