Menu

Gluten-Free Families: What's on Your Holiday Menu?

Ham

Twice baked potato casserole (Paula Dean recipe) http://kitchen-goddess.yumsugar.com/Paula-Deens-Twice-Baked-Potatoes-768746

Green veggie (peas? broccoli? asparagus? can't decide)

Salad

Rolls (not gf)

It is just three of us normally, but we have two elderly relatives in town this year. They don't eat much so I'm still planning a fairly simple meal.

Dessert - cranberry cheesecake, fudge and truffles (all gf) - plus cookies (not gf)

http://www.dianasdesserts.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/recipes.recipeListing/filter/dianas/recipeID/591/Recipe.cfm

Key lime fudge: http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/key-lime-fudge-10000001923820/

Edited by Suzanne

well, Christmas is my ds birthday, so he picks the meal. Christmas is pancakes(gluten free box mix) with dairy free chocolate chips, and gluten free BBQ chicken pizza for late lunch. It has normal cheese on it but you could certainly substitute with something else like goat cheese.

Christmas eve I had grand plans but we are all very, very sick. At this point I don't know if I will make it to the store to get food. Which means it will be tacos :lol::tongue_smilie: I had wanted to go a breakfast casserole.

Anyway, we have been gluten free for years now and I just substitute in recipes to make it gluten free. We were dairy free for years long ago so I know it's possible to make good meals without. Just look at your favorites and substitute cheese where you can or look for recipes that don't call for the dairy.

There are so many options now then there was 10 years ago for restricted diets let me tell you! :glare:

well, Christmas is my ds birthday, so he picks the meal. ...

Anyway, we have been gluten free for years now and I just substitute in recipes to make it gluten free.

We have an almost-Christmas baby. He was born early on the 26th, though I was in the hospital on the 24th and again on the 25th, so in my mind he's a Christmas baby even if he missed it by a few hours. (He wasn't due until mid-Feb. Fun Christmas, that was. Not.)

I'm making this for his birthday this year, just subbing a gf cake mix -

http://www.confessionsofacookbookqueen.com/2011/11/cherry-vanilla-dr-pepper-cupcakes/

We are not strict, strict, gf here. We're having:

Ham (Honey Baked--yum!)

Salad of some sort

Green-bean casserole (we're midwesterners...yes, we like it!)

Corn casserole (with gf jiffy mix substitute)

Potatoes

Mac n cheese (for the non gf kids)

GF cake

I don't know if they've changed, but previously Honey Baked ham has not been gluten free. You might want to check before you feed hose who need to eat gf.

On Christmas eve I'm having a pot roast, mashed potatoes, Brussels sprouts. We will have dessert with neighbors with a variety of gf cookies and fudge (more than one family in our neighborhood is gf, so it's a nice gathering or us).

Christmas day we will be at m mom's. I don't know the menu. My dad I'll grill some meat and there will be steamed veggies and salad. I will bring gf cornbread, gf apple pie, gf cf pumpkin pie.

We're GF / DF here too.

Our Menu (remember it's summer here)

Ham on the bone

Cold Chicken

Cucumber

Beetroot

Lettuce salad

Cold boiled eggs

Potato, bacon and spinach salad

New potatoes w/ mint

Peas

Black Bean Brownie

Strawberries

Chocolate cups with sorbet

Layered Chocamole and Vanilla Pudding

Meringues

Reindeer cookies for snacks

I'm the only one GF/DF in our family, but my 12 yo ds is also dairy free.

Christmas morning we've always made crepes. You can make them GF as we discovered last year and they taste just as good. So, those filled with salmon/soy cream cheese/ parsley/ green onions and strawberry and soy whipped cream filling for the kiddos.

Christmas dinner is gf mushroom stuffing (I just substitute Uti's bread in my regular recipe), rib roast, popovers (this is my first year making these gf and I may make both kinds in case they flop), roast potatoes, brussels sprouts, salad

All my cookies so far this season have been gf and no one has complained at all ;)

We're *sometimes* gf... and we're not df... but here are the items from our Christmas weekend that are both. :001_smile:

pepper slices, baby carrots, and baby tomatoes with hummus

chips and guacamole

shrimp with tails and cocktail sauce

grilled asparagus, sea scallops, and crab cakes (mango and tomato salsa)

spicy-lime tilapia

chili and cornbread

corn and black bean salad

spinach, shrimp, and mandarin orange salad

ETA: We're trying to go low-carb, too, for a family member who is heading towards diabetes. He's changing his diet as per doctor's orders. Anybody with knowledge in this area care to tell me how those menu items line up? (crossing fingers here) There will also be pumpkin bisque soup (not df), cream cheese stuffed celery with raisins (not df), and a selection of cheeses (obviously not df).

Edited by zaichiki

We are having:

Ham with cloves and brown sugar glaze

sweet potato casserole

Mashed potatoes

Green beans

Cranberry sauce (I have like 15 lbs of cranberries to use!)

Dessert:

Leftover birthday cupcakes from my Christmas Eve baby

Fudge

Salted caramels

Daim Torte (homemade)

Possibly a gluten free Charlotte. But I'm not 100%

It's just our family, so it's a pretty simple menu. We're having:

ham

mashed potatoes

salad

plus desert:

flour-less peanut butter cookies drizzled in chocolate

one more thing, maybe some type of gluten-free brownies

We are very new to being gluten-free. Only dh is totally gluten-free. The kids and I still eat it, but I try to plan our dinners to be gluten-free as much as possible.

ETA: My youngest kids are sensitive to dairy (can have some but no straight milk or yogurt, and can't have too much in other dishes), so I've been experimenting with using plain rice milk in things like quiches, egg bakes, and gluten-free sweet breads. We learned that rice milk often has small amounts of gluten in it (when you buy it from the store) so I'm going to be trying to make some myself soon.

Edited by Lisa in the UP of MI

We learned that rice milk often has small amounts of gluten in it (when you buy it from the store) so I'm going to be trying to make some myself soon.

The Trader Joe's brand rice milk says that it's GF. The one that my local Safeway sells (I think it's called Rice Dream) had one of the no-no's listed in the ingredients (malt perhaps?)

Ham

Twice baked potato casserole (Paula Dean recipe) http://kitchen-goddess.yumsugar.com/Paula-Deens-Twice-Baked-Potatoes-768746

Thanks for the twice baked potato recipe. I was looking for something like that and will be trying it.

In addition, we're having Paula Deen's fresh ham, New York Cheesecake, vegetables, and a salad. We get sick on cured ham every time. Now we order ours fresh, and Paula Deen's recipe is amazing.

ETA: Sorry, I wasn't paying attention. The cheesecake is obviously not dairy free. I really don't know what I'd do if I had to come up with a gf/df dessert.

Edited by Luann in ID