Menu

what were your meals and snacks yesterday (or so far today)

i am so stinking tired with a 15 month old who has a SEVERE aversion to sleep. and it's getting to the point where even coming up with a snack idea is feeling REALLY difficult. getting into cooking dinner is an "only because i have to" thing: i hate trying to think of what to make and it does no good to ask my family what they want.

we're vegetarian but i can modify some things, so hit me with EVERYTHING you had. please!

Breakfast: Scrambled eggs with frozen (defrosted) spinach.

Snack- avocado on pita

Lunch - tuna fish, carrot sticks, lettuce (in those low carb flax seed wraps...I can't think of the name. Joseph's maybe?)

Dinner is chicken soup, last ight we had tacos with quiona, black beans, and hamburger from a cow share we bought. Lettuce (I make a salad, so lots of different veggies, including red cabbage, sprouts, carrots etc. We use this on the tacos instead of just plain lettuce. It's got the cruch but extra nutrients), avocado, aq bit of shredded cheese, and plain Greek yogurt in place of sour cream. This weekend I made kale soup, and roasted a chicken with butternut squash. The leftovers were used as snacks all weekend. I've been using quiona in place of rice for many things these days, and it works very well in soups. It is quite fillling and has a decent amount of protein.

I also make pasta about once a week, but mostly use the kind made from Kamut flour.

Other snacks: cheese sticks, hard boiled eggs (we have chickens), peanut butter and Matthew's toast, mashed avocado and a few blue tortilla chips, bananas with peanut or almond butter, Christmas cookies ;), raw cheese & apples, hummus & carrot sticks, yogurt, cottage cheese. When it's not cold, I do more smoothies. When it's cold, that seems cruel to my system. I need to make them with ice or forzen fruit. The kids don't seem to go for them in winter.

For bad of for good, I bought several boxes of brownie mix (the organic one-- Dr soemthing?) for .55 cents a box. So, we've had brownies lately, which we don't normally have.

I go back ad forth on buying local, not buying local. It's difficult here in winter for me. Last year, I was able to can much more from our garden. This year, not much. I have some of our own sliced onions, sliced green and red peppers, green beans etc hidden in the cellar freezer. I will get to those when we go through our hard squashes. I really don't have enough to last me through the winter. My butternut harvest was pretty lame this year, which made me sad. I have a few left, along with some acorn aquash. I have been buying lots of lettuce, carrots, cabbages, bananas, kiwi, organic spinach etc this fall and winter. I have a few stalks of kale still lingering in the garden (along with parsley, which I chop in huge hadfulls and put in everything). The kale leaves left in my garden are covered in dead aphids, so I really have to wash and soak them. ;) I wish our summers were longer. March will come soon enough right? -- and then I can put in peas and lettuce seeds again.

Wow, this is what more than you needed to know. lol Ramble ramble.

Edited by LibraryLover

Today I've had Greek yogurt with cranberries and flax. Nothing else so far, but lunch will be an apple with pb. Snack will be either a lara bar or a cheese stick. Dinner will be chicken & spinach sausages with kale, tomatoes and garbanzo beans.

Yesterday, I had Greek yogurt with cranberries and flax for breakfast, apples & pb for lunch, a lara bar for a snack and lentil soup for dinner.

Today I've had Greek yogurt with cranberries and flax. Nothing else so far, but lunch will be an apple with pb. Snack will be either a lara bar or a cheese stick. Dinner will be chicken & spinach sausages with kale, tomatoes and garbanzo beans.

Yesterday, I had Greek yogurt with cranberries and flax for breakfast, apples & pb for lunch, a lara bar for a snack and lentil soup for dinner.

is this what your children ate as well? this makes me feel like i REALLY overeat:blushing:. i am not overweight at all, but geez i eat alot!

thanks everyone for the responses so far!

Planned-

supper-Fried venison(coated w/ almond flour), roasted broccoli(olive oil, sea salt and pepper), roasted potatoes(lard, sea salt, pepper, garlic)- salad- spinach-peppers-cucumbers-tomatoes

s. yogurt(homemade) smoothie w/ blueberries, strawberries and raw honey

Apples, cut in bite sizes and cooked just a tad to soften for the grandbabies to eat... (14 months and 10 months)

Crackers with cheese slices

Granola bars

yogurt

frozen fruit, thawed of course... (I planned on making smoothies, by my blender broke)

home-popped popcorn!

Today all we've had so far are eggs and toast. We slept in and ate breakfast late. Yesterday we did the same and then ate grilled cheese and tomato soup for lunch and again for dinner. This is vacation time for us so we're pretty relaxed with our meal planning. Tonight dh and I might go out because dd is going to Grandma's house.

Eta: I would happily eat any of the other things listed here if someone would just bring them over for me instead of my having to prepare them.

is this what your children ate as well? this makes me feel like i REALLY overeat:blushing:. i am not overweight at all' date=' but geez i eat alot!

thanks everyone for the responses so far![/quote']

My kids ate grits with eggs for breakfast with a sliced apple, a pita plate for lunch ( my ds took them out to lunch and to the museum), they had popcorn, a tangarine, and a lara bar for snacks, and lentil soup for dinner.

Different people eat different amounts. I have a tiny appetite and migraines that are triggered by many common foods.

Here's yesterday's menu:

Early breakfast (the baby and I)- a handful of Cinnamon Harvest cereal, greek yogurt w/honey & almonds, half an apple

brunch (whole family) - eggs w/cheese, hashbrowns. We usually eat a breakfast around 8 that includes oatmeal or french toast w/maple syrup but were full from early breakfast.

lunch (around 2pm) - sandwiches

snack for the little - pretzels and goldfish

dinner (5:30pm) - large salad with tomatoes, cucumbers, toasted almonds, dates, cheese, red onion, bacon, chicken, and a drizzle of caesar's on top. Pita wedges to the side. Well, that was mine. The baby had everything but the lettuce and onion in a deconstructed salad and the big kid stuffed his in a pita pocket.

Dh is the main cook in the house and with him gone evenings at school the task is falling on me. I've learned I do best with dutch oven cooking (so I can prepare it while the baby's napping) or cold/easy prep dinners. Tonight was chili over rice. Sunday I made chicken enchiladas and did up two pans so we had enough for lunch on Monday. I'm not sure yet what we're having tomorrow but I can tell ya I won't be putting a ton of effort into it!

recipe please....

I have a gf kid and have been looking for a good reason to try coconut flour.

Spiced Pumpkin and Dark Chocolate Muffins

(Grain/Nut/Dairy/Soy Free)

1/2 c. pumpkin (if home processed well-packed)

6 eggs

1/2 c. honey (the recipe I modified this from called for 2x this- but we find this much to be good for us)

4 T. melted coconut oil

1.5 t. cinnamon

1.5 t. pumpkin pie spice(I use Mt. Rose Herbs blend)

1 t. vanilla

1/2 t. salt

1/2 t. baking powder

1/2 c. coconut flour

Optional: 2 oz. dark chocolate chopped(I use Lindt 85%- it is dairy/soy free and low carb)

Optional: 1/2 c chopped nuts

Preheat oven to 400.

1. Mix together pumpkin, eggs, honey, oil, cinnamon, spice, vanilla and salt.

2. Add coconut flour and baking powder- mix very well.

3. Stir in chocolate or nuts if using.

4. Pour into muffin tins or cups- makes 9-12.

5. Bake 18-23 minutes or until knife inserted comes clean.

Edited by soror

Yesterday:

Breakfast was something microwaveable from the freezer (I keep sausage/egg/cheese burritos, sausage biscuits, homemade egg mcmuffins made up in the freezer)

Lunch was leftover beef stew from the night before

Dinner was London Broil, brown rice, asparagus

Snacks were either air-popped popcorn, tortillas and salsa, yogurt and fruit, or homemade cookies

Today:

Breakfast was homemade granola with milk and fruit

Lunch was at the food court in the mall :001_smile:

Dinner will also be out for dh and me, and the kids are having whatever my 14yo cooks (knowing her, it will be homemade pizza).

Snacks are the same as yesterday.

breakfast was 2 eggs with feta and spinach

lunch was a chef salad (greens, tomatoes, cucumbers, shredded red cabbage, shredded carrots, chopped hard boiled egg, turkey, ham, cheese and ranch dressing)

I don't snack since my meals tend to keep me full until the next meal.

Dinner is chicken with an alfredo sauce (homemade), broccoli with red peppers, onions and carrots

For dinner last night: two celery stalks, a raw carrot, an apple, a persimmon, two dates, and blueberries

For breakfast today: cherry tomatoes, strawberries, half an avocado

Snack: pecans and a pear

Lunch: an orange, more cherry tomatoes (they are sooo good and juicy), tuna sashimi

Snack later today: slice of Swiss cheese and a small handful of pita chips

Dinner: creamy chicken and biscuits

Breakfast: eggs and/or oatmeal

Snack: plain whole milk yogurt

Lunch: Ramen (I know...I know...)

Dinner: Turkey burgers

Breakfast: eggs/oatmeal and milk

Snack: cottage cheese on toast

Lunch: sandwiches/sliced fruit and veggies with hummus for dipping

Dinner: mock lasagne and green salad

Yesterday was:

Breakfast - yoyo (you're on your own) because we are on school break and the kids are getting up when they want and fixing their own. I had steel cut oats and blueberries.

Lunch - yoyo - same reason, and I ate at a work meeting/party potluck.

Dinner - leftovers that needed to be used up

It was that kind of a day LOL

The day before I made homemade mac & cheese with chicken in it, & broccoli Tonight is chicken soup and tomorrow night pork schnitzel and Slovak potato salad with peas & carrots in it, plus green beans. Friday night we will probably have "Toss it in the pot' stew, with beef potatoes, carrots, leftover green beans, etc, in it.

The chix soup is leftover from our coffee shop and we are having one of those 5 people/3 directions night or I would have cooked something that didn't have chicken. :)

No help with snacks because we don't eat them.

Edited by JustGin