Menu

History ?

My 14yos and 13yod are finishing MOH Volume I this week and I need to decide on their next history program. The reason I went with MOH is because I wanted history to be our "lighter" subject (plus I used it with my younger ones so it was cost efficient). We all enjoy the shorter lessons and the activity suggestions that involve a lot of research. Basically, MOH is the way I wish I'd been taught history as opposed to a dry textbook with endless facts and dates to memorize. ;)

My only issue with MOH is the lack of writing assignments; there are some scattered throughout yet nothing that I would consider high school level.

What I'm looking for is world history that doesn't involve lessons that are a dozen pages long and dry as crackers. :D Literature is a must as are writing assignments. A program that is multi-level would be nice, too. My last "requirement" is that it cannot be teacher-intensive; I love sitting with my dc and reading MOH or a chapter book as a supplement yet I do not have time to make lesson plans!

Here's hoping someone replies with, "Here's the perfect program for you!" :bigear:

ETA: Late night musings following some online research...input, please! Since my dc finished MOH mid-year, what if I had them do IEW's Ancient History-Based lessons and the art projects for MOH? I could also have them read some of the books they didn't have time to read. hmmmmm.....

Edited by LuvnMySvn

"lighter" subject

We all enjoy the shorter lessons and the activity suggestions that involve a lot of research.

world history that doesn't involve lessons that are a dozen pages long and dry as crackers.

a must as are writing assignments.

A program that is multi-level would be nice, too.

My last "requirement" is that it cannot be teacher-intensive

Okay, "here's the perfect program for you!" This is totally different from MOH, but have you looked at Christian Light Publications?

After years of lit-based history, my dd chose this two years ago. I was crushed, but it's been a great fit for her. I appreciate that the spine is there, and I can add anything I want to it. (True confession: I didn't add anything to it, but I could have if I wanted to.)

It fits every criteria you listed above, with the exception of much literature--which is easy enough to add in. The writing assignments/research topics are very vague, so you can tailor them to each child.

Lessons are short, followed by short response or multiple choice answers. This is when I would review the topics with dd. There are reviews and tests (two each per book, I think). Cheap, cheap, cheap. If you contact CLP, they will send you the first book in the subject you'd like for free.

Have you seen Diana Waring's history curriculum published by Answers in Genesis? There are lengthy samples on the AiG website to try to get a feel for it. It is multi-level and has a bunch of ideas for writing projects as well as every other project under the sun. It is designed to pick and choose so don't be overwhelmed if there are 25 ideas for projects. You just pick *one*. :001_smile:

I have the ancient history volume but haven't used it yet. Sorry I can't be more helpful.

Thank you for the suggestions! I've had snippets of time today to try and find programs/curricula and now my eyes are bleary and I'm so tired (oh, wait, that comes from being up at night with two wee ones! :D). I'll start looking at what you all have suggested tomorrow after a bit of sleep (a very little bit, lol).

Have you considered Biblioplan?

I am wondering if you might be able to make it work for what you need with a little effort... It has a high school supplement. It seems that some years are more developed at this point than others.

It will schedule MOH and other resources for you. I don't think it has a lot in the way of writing- but you could use the literature study guides to add that.

I am not teaching high school yet and I am watching this thread with interest- so I feel almost embarrassed posting here with such little experience. I am looking into it for our family though and considering all options.

I guess you would be moving into Volume 2 and the middle ages... that level doesn't have a full companion yet. Just pondering...

I hope this is helpful.

Rebecca

My 14yos and 13yod are finishing MOH Volume I this week and I need to decide on their next history program. The reason I went with MOH is because I wanted history to be our "lighter" subject (plus I used it with my younger ones so it was cost efficient). We all enjoy the shorter lessons and the activity suggestions that involve a lot of research. Basically, MOH is the way I wish I'd been taught history as opposed to a dry textbook with endless facts and dates to memorize. ;)

My only issue with MOH is the lack of writing assignments; there are some scattered throughout yet nothing that I would consider high school level.

What I'm looking for is world history that doesn't involve lessons that are a dozen pages long and dry as crackers. :D Literature is a must as are writing assignments. A program that is multi-level would be nice, too. My last "requirement" is that it cannot be teacher-intensive; I love sitting with my dc and reading MOH or a chapter book as a supplement yet I do not have time to make lesson plans!

Here's hoping someone replies with, "Here's the perfect program for you!" :bigear:

ETA: Late night musings following some online research...input, please! Since my dc finished MOH mid-year, what if I had them do IEW's Ancient History-Based lessons and the art projects for MOH? I could also have them read some of the books they didn't have time to read. hmmmmm.....

We really loved MOH and I used the IEW theme lessons with them. I also used the online Cliff (or Sparks) Notes on books I assigned for essay questions sometime. Easy to plug in to MOH.

I'm looking at MFW for my youngest next year. But, it might be more literature than you want to tackle. My oldest, after a few years of lit based learning, chose Alpha Omega's LifePacs for history. It has been a marvelous choice for her. I'm surprised by how impressed I am with the program. It does include some writing assignments, but we have added our own as well. You can certainly add literature at your own pace and interest.

Illuminations looks wonderful! Too bad we're not just starting out MOH Volume I...maybe for next year, though!

I'm looking at MFW for my youngest next year. But, it might be more literature than you want to tackle.
My 15yod is one her second year of MFW and absolutely loves it! My other two, however, were overwhelmed immediately by the sheer volume of books to read so we switched to MOH which they enjoy much more. They did, however, read the same literature that MFW had my dd reading (Epic of Gilgamesh, Iliad, Odyssey, etc.).

Rebecca - Thank you for the suggestion and yes, it was helpful. :) I worry about the "extra effort" part of it, though. I used to put all kinds of extra effort into our schooling but things have changed a bit over the years as far as availability of time. At this point completely laid out is better for me.