Menu

Help me, help my neighbor keep their baby safe.

There are about 3 different families living in the house across the street from us. They are from a different country but they are all very nice people. We don't communicate much because of the language barrier but we all try to say, "Hi," and talk about the weather and what not.

Today my kids came running in the house in a panic because the two year old across the street was running around in the street at dusk. A car would have never seen him. I ran out and walked him back to the door of his house which I noticed was opened. I thought maybe he'd just slipped out. I knocked and told the man as best I could that he was running around in the street. The man thanked me for bringing him back.

As I turned to leave I noticed his mother just sitting in the closed up car talking on her cell phone. How did she not see the baby running around in the street? He even ran up to the car once or twice before I got to him and was banging on the door. She had to have heard him banging on the door.

We live on the main street in our subdivision and people drive through at 30mph even though we have all complained about it.

My heart stops every time I think of him standing on the edge of the driveway about to bolt into the street again. When I ran to get him I had to run in front of a car that was not much slowing down for me.

This is not the first time we've had to pull him out of the street either. Him and his 3 year old brother were playing in the street while dad cleaned the car out one day. DH pulled them both out of the street and told dad it was dangerous.

I'm so worried and I really don't know what to do!

Possibly where they come from, drivers expect children to be in the street and they watch for them. The family needs to know that here, drivers assume there are no kids in the street and will plow them down.

I would hesitate to call CPS, but I would try to make sure the message got across somehow.

Possibly where they come from, drivers expect children to be in the street and they watch for them. The family needs to know that here, drivers assume there are no kids in the street and will plow them down.

I would hesitate to call CPS, but I would try to make sure the message got across somehow.

Our pediatrician experienced this. Several foreign families in their cul-de-sac had very questionable safety standards. It worried her that they were going to bring a broken child to her door, thinking she could fix him/her. She alerted the PD and officers came out and explained safety and laws and such. It wasn't totally eliminated, but it was cut way down.

It is very likely a cultural thing. There are all kinds of practices considered perfectly acceptable parenting elsewhere that horrify Americans. Remember that precious little girl kidnapped from the hotel room where she'd been left sleeping by her parents? Totally common and acceptable behavior in Europe; here, it would be clear neglect. People from other countries will leave babies in the crib asleep and leave the house to go grocery shopping. People from still other countries will leave babies and toddlers in the care of 6 or 7 year olds, etc. etc.

I would look for a way to communicate not the danger (which they will likely think is paranoid overkill) but the difference in cultural standards and that their children could be taken away from them in the US. You could try to do that in person or try the suggestions by other posters to contact a pastor or other Americanized person from their culture, possibly the PD if you know how they will react, or as a last resort, CPS. If everything was ideal, CPS would simply educate them, but CPS is one of the most unchecked government agencies, and at least in our area, is highly unpredictable. How awful if their children were taken away for a cultural adjustment issue, but it could happen.

Call the police and tell them what happened, and the history / back story. They will involve CPS.

Since it is obvious this was not an isolated, bizarre, OH MY GOD! kind of an incident (that can happen to anyone), you need to step in to make sure the child(ren) are protected.

In the future, I'd call 911 immediately after ensuring the immediate safety of the child.

It is very likely a cultural thing. There are all kinds of practices considered perfectly acceptable parenting elsewhere that horrify Americans. Remember that precious little girl kidnapped from the hotel room where she'd been left sleeping by her parents? Totally common and acceptable behavior in Europe; here, it would be clear neglect. People from other countries will leave babies in the crib asleep and leave the house to go grocery shopping. People from still other countries will leave babies and toddlers in the care of 6 or 7 year olds, etc. etc.

I would look for a way to communicate not the danger (which they will likely think is paranoid overkill) but the difference in cultural standards and that their children could be taken away from them in the US. You could try to do that in person or try the suggestions by other posters to contact a pastor or other Americanized person from their culture, possibly the PD if you know how they will react, or as a last resort, CPS. If everything was ideal, CPS would simply educate them, but CPS is one of the most unchecked government agencies, and at least in our area, is highly unpredictable. How awful if their children were taken away for a cultural adjustment issue, but it could happen.

I know the case you are referring to. The family are British and although they were in Portugal when their daughter was taken, it is not a culturally acceptable thing for British parents to leave a child in a hotel room and would be considered neglect had it happened in the UK. There was a sitter service at the hotel which they did not make use of.

Thank you! I actually have a police officer friend who knows someone that can communicate with them. I think I will try that. I'd rather not involve CPS if I can help it. I have not seen the kids outside at all today, so maybe... fingers crossed. I'll try the police office friend first. Thanks so much. They are all such a sweet family and I really think they just don't understand.