Menu

input? especially from nurses or medical people

I've spoken to the dr on call last night and my dr today. I've spoken to my vet. Nobody seems to be concerned. I'm not sure if I'm making a mountain out of a mole hill. Please give me any input!

I was injecting my potbellies last night with Ivermectin, an anti-parasitic. I think one of my potbellies has the beginning stages of mange, but I could be wrong. Treatment would be Ivermectin anyway. So it just started to get cold here in the past few days. Maybe this is why my piggies were so "off" last night. I've injected them many times. Last night, two of the piggies were totally freaked out about the injections. I had to stick them several times before I had dh block them in with a board. Two of the pigs jumped up after the injection, and I got stuck with two dirty needles. The pigs were dirty, but I'm talking pig blood on the needles!

Nobody seems concerned. Dh and I are!

WWYD? After I finished up in the barn I came inside, washed my hands twice, then used sanitizer once or twice, then started to make phone calls. One doctor told me that there was a study done on medical professionals getting stuck with dirty needles from AIDS patients. They said that there is a 1 in 100,000 risk of getting AIDS this way. The dr on call last night wasn't concerned, neither was the vet.

Should I just let this go?

If the vet isn't worried, I'd trust him. (I know it's hard; I have OCD.) I stuck myself with a needle after giving our bunny a shot once, and called the vet. They said not to worry about it. Nothing ever happened. Unless there was lots of visible blood on the needles, the amount of blood (and therefore anything to worry about) would be so tiny. Try not to worry.

:grouphug:

Wendi

I've spoken to the dr on call last night and my dr today. I've spoken to my vet. Nobody seems to be concerned. I'm not sure if I'm making a mountain out of a mole hill. Please give me any input!

I was injecting my potbellies last night with Ivermectin, an anti-parasitic. I think one of my potbellies has the beginning stages of mange, but I could be wrong. Treatment would be Ivermectin anyway. So it just started to get cold here in the past few days. Maybe this is why my piggies were so "off" last night. I've injected them many times. Last night, two of the piggies were totally freaked out about the injections. I had to stick them several times before I had dh block them in with a board. Two of the pigs jumped up after the injection, and I got stuck with two dirty needles. The pigs were dirty, but I'm talking pig blood on the needles!

Nobody seems concerned. Dh and I are!

WWYD? After I finished up in the barn I came inside, washed my hands twice, then used sanitizer once or twice, then started to make phone calls. One doctor told me that there was a study done on medical professionals getting stuck with dirty needles from AIDS patients. They said that there is a 1 in 100,000 risk of getting AIDS this way. The dr on call last night wasn't concerned, neither was the vet.

Should I just let this go?

unless the pigs have HIV, you are totally in the clear for that one.

do the pigs have any blood borne illness that you are very worried about? if they don't, be calm, and let it go.

If the vet isn't worried, I'd trust him. (I know it's hard; I have OCD.) I stuck myself with a needle after giving our bunny a shot once, and called the vet. They said not to worry about it. Nothing ever happened. Unless there was lots of visible blood on the needles, the amount of blood (and therefore anything to worry about) would be so tiny. Try not to worry.

:grouphug:

Wendi

there was definitely visible blood on the needle. The pig panicked, jumped up, bent the needle, and it was all bloody when it stuck me. I can't remember if it's my potbelly that appears sickly that had blood or the other.

Well, I'd go with the vet's opinion on this one. Because seriously....I promise your average GP has NO idea. :lol: If it makes you feel better, call a school of veternary medicine and ask there. Or call around to a few more vet offices...those that deal with farm animals.

Edited by DianeW88

unless the pigs have HIV, you are totally in the clear for that one.

do the pigs have any blood borne illness that you are very worried about? if they don't, be calm, and let it go.

I don't know! This is part of why I'm freaking out. Dh is worried about me catching a virus from them that could settle in my heart. We did have a friend who this happened to. She almost died.

I know, worst case scenario, but I'm somehow unsettled having pig blood inside me!

I also just spoke with one of the rescues where I got one of my pigs. She's been poked MANY times after injecting pigs. She's not concerned at all, especially if all piggies are healthy. I'm concerned one is sick, but I don't think she has a fever, and she's still eating like a pig :tongue_smilie: so the rescuer isn't concerned.

I guess I'll let this go. Well probably not completely but I will try.

Are you all jealous that you don't have PIG BLOOD inside you?

:scared:

I think you'll be okay, too. Maybe you could up your regular supplement intake, if you take vitamins or any immune boosting supplements? I might do that, in your shoes!

Are you all jealous that you don't have PIG BLOOD inside you?

Nope. Not jealous a bit! :tongue_smilie: Does it make you feel better to know I have a dear friend with a pig's valve in her heart?

(ETA: I know the pig's valve is not the same as a dirty needle, not trying to make light of it or one up it. I would be scared too.)

I've been stuck with needles that have animal blood many times. Many. No worries...Pigs don't carry infections that people get, at least not except in rare cases, and you'd know because the pig would be sick, and you could get it from contact, not a needle stick.

Now, it could get infected like any other puncture wound, but pigs blood is not a problem.

I'm sure everything will be fine, but I absolutely understand your concern, even after professionals have told you there's nothing to worry about.

If you're worried about anything specific, could you have some bloodwork done on the pigs to be sure they're not carrying anything that could be harmful to you?

Again, I'm sure there's nothing to worry about, but if it will worry you or your dh, it might make you both feel better to have the pigs tested.

Vets stick themselves accidentally all the time. From Occupational hazards reported by swine veterinarians in the

United States

Needlestick injuries

Seventy-three percent of respondents (±1.5) experienced at least one

needlestick injury during their career. In the past 2 years, females reported

an average of 4.3 (±5.2) and median 2.5 needlesticks while

males reported an average of 2.8 (±5.7) and median 2 needlesticks

(Kruskal-Wallis H test for two groups: P £ .013).

Of the 586 respondents reporting a needlestick injury in the past 2

years, vaccines were the most common exposures (40% ±2), followed

by swine blood (37% ±2), antibiotics (35% ±2), and prostaglandins

(1% ±0.4). Ivermectin and clean or empty needles constituted

most of the remaining 8% (±1) of needlestick exposures

reported.

Adverse effects from needlestick injuries included pain, local swelling, hematoma, infection, superficial abscess, and cellulitis. The erysipelas vaccine was the most commonly cited agent for causing an adverse effect,

followed by LA 200® (Liquamycin™, LA-200. Pfizer Inc. Animal

Health Division. 235 East 42nd St., New York, New York 10017) and

APP Bacterin® (Salsbury™ APP Bacterin. Solvay Animal Health, Inc.

1201 Northland Dr., Mendota Heights, Minnesota 55120-1139).

They don't say how common the adverse effects are, but they are generally local. There isn't really much you can do about it besides clean the area well and then keep an eye on it. There is a small chance of a localized infection, so if it starts to look infected, see your doctor.

As far as any kind of systemic infection-- very unlikely, but not impossible. Pigs can carry some viruses that can theoretically be transmitted through blood, but the pig would be sick. If your pigs are healthy, don't worry about it. And pigs don't get AIDS. :)

My grad research was on swine influenza and other pig zoonoses (infections transmitted from animals to people), so I have some background. I'd go with what your vet says.

Vets stick themselves accidentally all the time. From Occupational hazards reported by swine veterinarians in the

United States

They don't say how common the adverse effects are, but they are generally local. There isn't really much you can do about it besides clean the area well and then keep an eye on it. There is a small chance of a localized infection, so if it starts to look infected, see your doctor.

As far as any kind of systemic infection-- very unlikely, but not impossible. Pigs can carry some viruses that can theoretically be transmitted through blood, but the pig would be sick. If your pigs are healthy, don't worry about it. And pigs don't get AIDS. :)

My grad research was on swine influenza and other pig zoonoses (infections transmitted from animals to people), so I have some background. I'd go with what your vet says.

thanks! This is very helpful!