Menu

Christmas Pudding - need advice from experts

Dd19 wants to try a recipe she got from a friend in New Zealand for traditional Christmas pudding. There seems to be somewhat of a language barrier and we are having a hard time figuring out what kind of texture/consistency to expect. The pictures we have seen online lead us to believe the pudding will resemble fruitcake in taste and texture, but her friend (who is just an internet friend whom she does not know very well) said that it tastes nothing like fruitcake and is definitely not a cake but a pudding. But here in the USA pudding is a formless jiggly kind of thing - not something you bake in a ceramic bowl and plop onto a serving plate.

Can anyone who knows what a traditional Christmas pudding (think of the pudding in A Christmas Carol) looks/tastes like give me an idea of what this thing is supposed to end up like and also what kind of bowl we should use to steam it in?

Thanks for any and all advice, tips, etc.!

My dh's family has served carrot pudding every Christmas for generations. It is essentially a moist carrot cake that has been steamed instead of baked. We make it in a metal mold with a locking lid, steamed inside a larger pot. I think it is fine, unless it has been doused in brandy and lit. :tongue_smilie:

I think of fruitcake as having very gummy, chewy pieces of fruit. Carrot pudding is definitely not like that.

One of our molds is like this one.

ETA: Dh's grandmother always serves leftover christmas pudding sliced and fried in butter for breakfast the next day. That is really yummy!

That mold looks interesting -dd was thinking it had to be a ceramic bowl, but maybe we'll go for the mold instead. Fried pudding - hmmm - we'll have to try that if we have any leftovers.

That mold looks interesting -dd was thinking it had to be a ceramic bowl, but maybe we'll go for the mold instead. Fried pudding - hmmm - we'll have to try that if we have any leftovers.

Dh sets the mold in a pot used for canning. You use the ring on the lid to lift it out. The ring one I linked before cooks faster, and this shape is the traditional one (at least in dh's family).

It can be made in advance and refrigerated.

This is what I have to steam them in:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_10?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=mason+pudding+basin&sprefix=mason+pudd

and all the recipes I have used or seen or eaten turn out in kind of cake form, not pourable at all like the Jello pudding stuff.

I'm curious about that mold, since I've only seen the lidded type I posted a link for. It looks like ceramic is the traditional style. What type of lid does yours use, and how do you lift it out of the water bath? Dh would never break with his grandmother's tradition, but I'm curious. :bigear: I've never met anyone else IRL who eats steamed pudding.

It is like a fruitcake. I used a regular metal mixing bowl and covered it well in tinfoil, then secured it with twine. You MUST make hardsauce for it, unless you have religious issues with alcohol. Oh, and drizzle some brandy on it and set it aflame when you serve it.

It is like a fruitcake. I used a regular metal mixing bowl and covered it well in tinfoil, then secured it with twine. You MUST make hardsauce for it, unless you have religious issues with alcohol. Oh, and drizzle some brandy on it and set it aflame when you serve it.

Ok, maybe we'll try it with a metal mixing bowl and foil - that certainly helps the budget. We already bought the brandy to set it aflame, but I'm not sure I have the nerve to follow through on that.

In NZ "pudding" means a steamed cake-like dessert or is a general term used for dessert. What Americans know as "pudding" would be called custard in NZ. My grandmother used to make Suet Pudding from an old family recipe for Thanksgiving every year & serve it with Hard Sauce. This is the closest to a NZ Christmas Pudding I've heard of in the States.

JMHO,

Okay, do all Christmas puddings have suet in them? :ack2:

Both the two recipes for Christmas Pudding in the Edmonds Cookbook calls for suet. (this is the NZ cookbook that everyone has, like Betty Crocker in the States) When you think about the questionable effects of Crisco in a healthy diet, is suet really any worse? As Crisco isn't available here in NZ, I use either butter or lard as a substitute in my American recipes. Fat is fat :tongue_smilie:

Okay, do all Christmas puddings have suet in them? :ack2:

No, but you get a better quality pudding if you use it. I've seen vegetarian suet in shops. That seems more scary to me. You can't taste it in there, if you're imagining meat fat with glace cherries and peel mixed in. :)

It's something we only eat once per year. :) (Well not me, I made a far less healthy cake.)

Rosie

Both the two recipes for Christmas Pudding in the Edmonds Cookbook calls for suet. (this is the NZ cookbook that everyone has, like Betty Crocker in the States) When you think about the questionable effects of Crisco in a healthy diet, is suet really any worse? As Crisco isn't available here in NZ, I use either butter or lard as a substitute in my American recipes. Fat is fat :tongue_smilie:

I don't eat meat, so this is why suet icks me out. I don't use Crisco either. Just as icky. I'm not big on the whole baking thing unless it's breads, muffins or cookies. :001_smile:

I make this figgy pudding. I use a mold (found it at Sur la Table) that looks just like this.

It isn't anything like American "puddings." It's very bread-y and figgy. :)

In the U.K., the word "pudding" is a more generic term than it is here in the U.S. In general it means a desert of some sort.

I love Christmas pudding! I've made my own and had it in London. The consistency is similar to bread pudding, and the taste is much better than any fruitcake I've ever had :)

This is the Christmas pudding I make every year:

http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/cuisine/european/english/christmas-easy-the-delia-christmas-pudding.html

I make it on 'Stir-up Sunday', around the 20th November. I used to hate Christmas pudding when I was a child, and I'm still not very keen on it (I make a trifle for me :D), but it's become something of a ritual - everyone gives it a stir and makes a wish, and DH adores setting fire to it on the day, aiming for bigger and better flames each year.

We serve it with rum sauce

http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/cuisine/european/english/hot-buttery-rum-sauce.html

Cassy

My grandmother never used a pudding basin. She made cloth boiled puddings. The trick is never, ever let it come off the boil. If you do, it goes soggy.

Rosie

Interesting concept. Perhaps we'll give this a try after we feel more comfortable with the basin type.

This is the Christmas pudding I make every year:

www.deliaonline.com/recipes/cuisine/european/english/christmas-easy-the-delia-christmas-pudding.html

I make it on 'Stir-up Sunday', around the 20th November. I used to hate Christmas pudding when I was a child, and I'm still not very keen on it (I make a trifle for me :D), but it's become something of a ritual - everyone gives it a stir and makes a wish, and DH adores setting fire to it on the day, aiming for bigger and better flames each year.

We serve it with rum sauce

www.deliaonline.com/recipes/cuisine/european/english/hot-buttery-rum-sauce.html

Cassy

Thanks!

Perfect!

Oh, good. I think we'll just go with this as to keep the expense to a minimum.

Oh, this is very, very good. I sent the link to dd.

Thanks, everyone! I appreciate all the input - very helpful indeed!

I was just looking for a recipe in my 'Nigella (Lawson) Christmas' book, when I stumbled across her recipe for Christmas Pudding, her introduction made me think of this thread:

" ... actually, the Christmas pudding was once seen as a religious affront. Oliver Cromwell banned it as a 'lewd custom', dismissing the rich pudding as 'unfit for God-fearing people', and the Quakers magnificently condemned it as 'the invention of the scarlet whore of Babylon'. I used to fear that the Quakers made Christmas pudding sound more exciting than it is, so I've long done my bit to come up with a pudding that the scarlet whore of Baylon would be truly proud of."

Well, it made me :lol:

Merry Christmas

Cassy

I was just looking for a recipe in my 'Nigella (Lawson) Christmas' book, when I stumbled across her recipe for Christmas Pudding, her introduction made me think of this thread:

" ... actually, the Christmas pudding was once seen as a religious affront. Oliver Cromwell banned it as a 'lewd custom', dismissing the rich pudding as 'unfit for God-fearing people', and the Quakers magnificently condemned it as 'the invention of the scarlet whore of Babylon'. I used to fear that the Quakers made Christmas pudding sound more exciting than it is, so I've long done my bit to come up with a pudding that the scarlet whore of Baylon would be truly proud of."

Well, it made me :lol:

Merry Christmas

Cassy

That is hilarious! Her pudding must be as boozy as mine. :lol: