Menu

Study Bible

What is a study Bible?

I'm still trying to figure out what I want to do. Do I want a study? Do I want to answer questions or just cogitate on something written by someone else? Do I want a devotional? Do I want to be led in prayer? Am I just looking for daily inspiration? Do I want to try to tackle reading the Bible before I study specific parts? Do I want a pretty new Bible: study one, devotional one, regular one, one-year type? Well, you get the picture. There are so many considerations that I'm confusing myself, which isn't hard to do anyway. :tongue_smilie:

I know two types of study Bibles.

The most common study Bible has the Bible text with notes by a Bible scholar (such as the MacArthur Study Bible or the Ryrie Study Bible) or a more generic study Bible. (such as the NIV Study Bible or the RSV Study Bible)

The second type of study Bible is a Bible that tells you how to study the Bible on your own. The only Bible like this that I know of is the New Inductive Study Bible published by Precept Ministries.

As for as reading the Bible, if you decide to start at Genesis and read straight through, Genesis and the first part of Exodus are stories, so they are easy to read. But then, the story ends (for a while!) and the OT laws start - that is a much tougher read. Feel free to skip the laws and go onto another book.

It sounds like you are new to Bible reading / study, so you might want to get your feet wet with a children's Bible. You can go to a Christian store and just read a little in several versions and pick what appeals to you.

Best wishes.

What is a study Bible?

I'm still trying to figure out what I want to do. Do I want a study? Do I want to answer questions or just cogitate on something written by someone else? Do I want a devotional? Do I want to be led in prayer? Am I just looking for daily inspiration? Do I want to try to tackle reading the Bible before I study specific parts? Do I want a pretty new Bible: study one, devotional one, regular one, one-year type? Well, you get the picture. There are so many considerations that I'm confusing myself, which isn't hard to do anyway. :tongue_smilie:

A study bible can have one of several things in it, or all of them at once. Most have notes at the bottom or in the margins (Geneva 1560 was the precursor and what ticked a king off enough to command the KJV 1610 to be created). Some have a ton of maps and charts (some charts are merely factual timelines and such, where others hold theological opinions...Thompson's Chain Reference comes to mind). Others have prayers that are commonly used and other helps (Orthodox Study Bible has the Creed, Morning Prayers, Evening Prayers, preparation for Confession and Communion). There is the Rainbow Study Bible that has verses that deal with different topics in certain colours (talk about picking apart your verses). You have others that have little devotionals every so many pages (Women's/Men's/Teen's Study Bibles).

It's up to you what you get or don't get. Naturally, any study bible will be biased in some direction. Most will be Evangelical Mainstream. Some will be fundamentalist (Thompson's Chain Reference), Reformed (Reformation Study Bible, Geneva), Orthodox (Orthodox Study Bible), etc.

*yes, we have quite a collection*

Edited by mommaduck

The ones that I have are texts with notes, a map section in the back, introductions with outlines for every book, cross-references, and essays every so often that are relevant to the texts.

I have the Concordia NIV Self-Study Bible, and that has been my workhorse/favorite for many years now.

I also have the new Lutheran Study Bible, also from Concordia, which is probably better, but which I have not grown accustomed to using yet.

I have several study Bibles - MacArthur, the Open Bible (NAS) , the Rainbow Bible, ESV, and my dh has the Thompson Chain Reference.

There are notes at the beginning of each book that explain the historical setting of the book, give information about the author, mention any disputes about authorship (usually drawing a conclusion as to which one is more plausible), an outline of the book and its general gist and perhaps any special noteworthy items.

My Open Bible has a "Cyclopedic Index" at the beginning which I find helpful. It is kind of like a concordance only instead of actual words found in the text, it lists topics followed by verses where those topics are discussed in scripture. It also has a basic Bible doctrine study throughout which is, of course, bent toward a specific point of view - I haven't gone through it myself so don't know what viewpoint it is from.

My MacArthur Study Bible and the ESV Study Bible both have comments at the bottom and are both "reformed" in their pov. The MacArthur Bible comes from a Baptistic pov, though, and the ESV comes from a more Presbyterian pov.

The ESV has lots of maps and charts right in the text - not just at the back - which I find helpful when I'm trying to picture where the events are taking place.

They both have many more features but thought I'd point out the doctrinal difference.

I also have an Amplified Bible which can be helpful. It is just the scripture, but expanded right within the text, to clarify. It is a translation, but it includes the many different ways a word could be translated - not comprehensively - but enough that the meaning is more clear, at least to me it is. Here is an example of the Amplified compared to the KJV:

I Cor 13:4-7 - KJV

[4] Charity suffereth long, and is kind; charity envieth not; charity vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up,

[5] Doth not behave itself unseemly, seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil;

[6] Rejoiceth not in iniquity, but rejoiceth in the truth;

[7] Beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things.

I Cor 13:4-7 - Amplified

4Love endures long and is patient and kind; love never is envious nor boils over with jealousy, is not boastful or vainglorious, does not display itself haughtily.

5It is not conceited (arrogant and inflated with pride); it is not rude (unmannerly) and does not act unbecomingly. Love (God's love in us) does not insist on its own rights or its own way, for it is not self-seeking; it is not touchy or fretful or resentful; it takes no account of the evil done to it [it pays no attention to a suffered wrong].

6It does not rejoice at injustice and unrighteousness, but rejoices when right and truth prevail.

7Love bears up under anything and everything that comes, is ever ready to believe the best of every person, its hopes are fadeless under all circumstances, and it endures everything [without weakening].

I believe the KJV to be the most reliable translation and would hold any other translation up to it as a standard - but I do find the extra notes and expansion in these other resources to be helpful from time to time - especially where our language has altered the meaning of words or where the historical, cultural or religious context is vital to understanding.

HTH

I'd borrow some from friends or the library or a church libraries and take time to really look carefully to see what you want. It's hard to take that time in a store and many Bibles are in sealed packaging.

Do keep in mind the theological orientation of the publisher and choose the actual translation/text carefully.

My favorite study Bible is the ESV. I love the online features that come with it too.

I have enjoyed the One Year Bibles for devotional reading and I carry a thinline to church.

Thanks ladies! That's helpful information. I have an NIV Bible that I like but it doesn't have any extra stuff. I've been looking at devotionals, some Bibles, some just small inspirational books. It *is* really difficult to pick out one thing! I remember I sat in a Christian store for like an hour before I finally chose my NIV Bible. I've written some notes in it during sermons and a couple of Bible studies but I'm really wanting a new one. I just don't know what type I want and I need to know that before I can narrow it down anymore!

I have never read the Bible in its entirety. I can't even say for certain if I've read an entire book from start to finish. It seems like the studies and sermons always build on a short section of verses from a couple of books.

I did find one beautiful Bible I liked in B&N last night but it was $50. But today I got a check for $40 from my MIL and I think I'll go back and look at it again. I wonder if they'll let me use my Educator's discount for a Bible?

Beth,

Just to add another option to your choices...Have you looked at a One Year Bible?

A while back someone suggested this to me for a year long study. I was pretty...wishy-washy, but truly enjoyed the daily readings. (It was broken down into 15-30 minute readings in chronological order, but with scripture from the Old Testament, Psalms, The New Testament and Proverbs.) It just made it so easy for me to actually read through and stick with the schedule.

I've gone on to read a few of them in different versions. A KJV, NKJV, NIV and a Women's' Daily Bible. (Can you tell, I'm kind of hooked?)

I'm trying to figure out what to read this year now too. Hope we both find just what were looking for.

I do have a couple of study Bibles.

You might enjoy the Chronological one with the time-line and period pieces. (It reminds me of the history studies in TWTM.) The Rainbow Study Bible, is kind of neat, but a little weird to read because of all colors.

I hope others will chime in.

Thanks ladies! That's helpful information. I have an NIV Bible that I like but it doesn't have any extra stuff. I've been looking at devotionals, some Bibles, some just small inspirational books. It *is* really difficult to pick out one thing! I remember I sat in a Christian store for like an hour before I finally chose my NIV Bible. I've written some notes in it during sermons and a couple of Bible studies but I'm really wanting a new one. I just don't know what type I want and I need to know that before I can narrow it down anymore!

I have never read the Bible in its entirety. I can't even say for certain if I've read an entire book from start to finish. It seems like the studies and sermons always build on a short section of verses from a couple of books.

I did find one beautiful Bible I liked in B&N last night but it was $50. But today I got a check for $40 from my MIL and I think I'll go back and look at it again. I wonder if they'll let me use my Educator's discount for a Bible?

Concordia Publishing House gives a 10% discount on anything you say you're going to use for homeschooling. You have to call their 800 number to get it. I recommend their study Bibles--everyone who has seen my Self-Study NIV Bible really likes it, regardless of denomination.

i'm enjoying the youversion bible app (if you have an android or ipad, etc). it has many translations & in it's "plan" section, i have added several study components, devotionals, and reading plans. it was free & i love it. plus, the guy reads to me as i follow along & i like that so much more than i thought i would! otherwise, i like kay arthur's inductive study bible.

Naturally, any study bible will be biased in some direction. Most will be Evangelical Mainstream. Some will be fundamentalist (Thompson's Chain Reference), Reformed (Reformation Study Bible, Geneva), Orthodox (Orthodox Study Bible), etc.

I actually didn't realize this for a long time. I thought most study Bibles were showing the "clear meaning of Scripture," although this "clear" meaning was deeper/hidden/needed to be studied to be figured out. I didn't realize that the "clear" meaning was really based on one's method of interpretation -- who is doing the interpreting, as well as how, why, and when. I used to think "Don't get a study bible -- get one without study notes so you can figure it out on your own by letting God speak to you directly," but I began to see some danger with this. Now I truly appreciate a good study Bible, but you really ought to make sure what it's presenting is coming from the perspective you believe in.

Whatever format you choose for the notes, I highly recommend NLT for the version. It is clear, easy-to-read, written in today's language, but still quite true to the original.

ETA: Unless you are looking for a deeper word study, in which case NASB is a more literal translation.