Menu

Liberal, systematic Bible study?

Now that I've graduated, I'd like to study the Bible.

However, anything from a literalist, fundamentalist, perspective won't work for me. I am more universal, pluralist, liberal, postmodern.

Suggestions? Or should I just check Cokesbury or see if the UU has a sales site?

Here is a list of some Authors and books that I've read in the last couple of years:

Karen Armstrong-

The History of God

The Battle for God

In the Beginning

The Bible

A Short History of Myth

Bart Ehrman-

Misquoting Jesus

Lost Christianities

Isaac Asimov-

In the Beginning

James Kugel-

How to Read the Bible: A Guide to Scripture, Then and Now

Scott Korb-

Life in Year One

I haven't read any systematic studies through scripture yet, but I have Isaac Asimov's Guide to the Bible on my nightstand right now. I'm not any further than Genesis in that one. The above books were read because that is what my little bitty country library happened to have that weren't fundamentalist. I'm still looking into other books in their collection, but I don't have any more recommendations yet. I didn't agree with every single thing I read in the above, but I don't think that's going to happen anyway. :-) They sure were mind stretching and thought provoking. I would say explore what's available in your public library and feel free to toss what doesn't work aside.

Edited by Onceuponatime

I haven't read any systematic studies through scripture yet, but I have Isaac Asimov's Guide to the Bible on my nightstand right now. I'm not any further than Genesis in that one. The above books were read because that is what my little bitty country library happened to have that weren't fundamentalist. I'm still looking into other books in their collection, but I don't have any more recommendations yet. I didn't agree with every single thing I read in the above, but I don't think that's going to happen anyway. :-) They sure were mind stretching and thought provoking. I would say explore what's available in your public library and feel free to toss what doesn't work aside.

Thank you.

I work in a seminary. ;) But the material there is slanted towards scholarly work rather than personal.

Most Bible studies have a literalist bent, it seems.

I'd like to study the Bible... I am more universal, pluralist, liberal, postmodern.

A couple of years ago I started dipping my toes back into study of the Bible several decades after being drilled in a very conservative approach that simply wasn't right for me. Now I'm Episcopalian and very happy with the breadth of belief generally accepted in the Episcopal Church. I am not a literalist or inerrantist. I do believe the Bible tells the story of God's passionate love for us.

Here is a book that introduced me to modern approaches to the Bible with a story I know very well: The Last Week: What the Gospels really teach about Jesus's final days in Jerusalem, by Marcus Borg & John Dominic Crossan.

I also read and thoroughly appreciated Borg & Crossan's book about the apostle Paul, The First Paul: Reclaiming the radical visionary behind the church's conservative icon. The descriptions on both book covers are kind of sensationalistic, but I found these books were a great introduction to various approaches in current Biblical scholarship.

Along the way a friend, a faculty member in religious studies at the local state university, recommended several commentaries to use alongside books of the Bible. The only affordable one, which he actually highly recommended, is the Sacra Pagina series of commentaries. It is published by a Roman Catholic press, but when you get into Biblical studies outside purely denominational resources, the level of scholarship is what matters. I bought the volume for the Gospel of Mark, and after Christmas I plan to start reading it and Mark together, at whatever pace works for me.

It's Advent, so I am enjoying Borg & Crossan's The First Christmas: What the Gospels really teach about Jesus's birth. I am starting to see the four Gospels as individual texts; the very different nativity stories in Matthew and Luke are the focus of this book, and it'll be great to study the Gospel of Mark afterward. It is very cool to also have been reading some of the apocryphal infancy / nativity stories of Jesus and begin to see where some of the "folk" traditions have come from -- earlychristianwritings.com has many or most of the better-known texts, as well as brief introductions to them.

Personally, Bart Ehrman's works seem pretty polemical and anti-Christian. I prefer to read something more balanced, or balance reading his stuff by also reading something (dare I say) pro-Christian. This fall our church offered an evening class on Christian apocryphal writings (i.e., texts that did not make it into the New Testament) and Ehrman's Lost Christianities and Lost Scriptures are good resources... alongside the articles & such that the teacher provides (my religious studies faculty friend).

Good luck! Have fun! Learn and explore!

James Kugel-

How to Read the Bible: A Guide to Scripture, Then and Now

I am currently reading this and I think it may just win my personal award for Best Book I Read in 2011. Kugel is a former chaired professor of Hebrew at Harvard and also an Orthodox Jew, and the book compares and contrasts ancient interpretations of the Hebrew Bible with contemporary biblical scholarship, and he explicitly grapples with the seriously destabilizing implications of the latter for people of faith (which he considers himself to be). It is the most intellectually honest thing I've read in ages.

That said, I'm Jewish, and I'm not familiar enough with Christian perspectives to know how the book would translate, although it is directed at a broad readership.

Joanne, you might also take a look at A.J. Levine's lectures for the Teaching Company. I believe she has them on both the Hebrew and Christian Bibles.

Thank you, Jenny, for the Kugel recommendation -- sounds very intriguing!

Joanne, you might also take a look at A.J. Levine's lectures for the Teaching Company. I believe she has them on both the Hebrew and Christian Bibles.

If this is Amy-Jill Levine, she is a wonderful speaker. I had the opportunity to hear her in person last winter. I'm headed over to the Teaching Company to look her up -- thanks!

I'm Episcopalian, too--and I'm on the more conservative end.

That said, my hubby is not quite as conservative as I am. He does not appreciate Crossin or Borg (Borg can hardly be called a Christian in any orthodox sense of the word, forget inerrancy or whatever). He says their scholarship is faulty.

I know many find them enlightening.

I would encourage you to look into EfM at your local Episcopal church. While I personally disagree with many of the materials, I suspect you would be fed by the fellowship, the scholarship, and the theological reflection. It's a big commitment, but really, not that difficult.

Marcus Borg or Bart Ehrman. They have more popular as well as their more scholarly writings.

If you can stomach something a little more scholarly, I like Ben Witherington.

And don't forget Peter Enns.

I just read a book by him on Old Testament, for extra credit. I enjoyed it. I wrote a footnote about the kerfluffle. ;)

The ELCA has recently published a new Lutheran study Bible that is quite liberal. I don't know whether it was from Augsberg or Fortress Press, but I would guess Augsberg.

Personally, I like the LCMS study Bibles very much. I have used the Concordia Self-Study Bible for years, and love it, and the new Lutheran Study Bible from Concordia is also very good. But I'm not sure that they are what you're looking for as they are conservative. They are not fundamentalist, though.

I'm just seconding the EfM recommendation/ You might be able to find a local group through your local Episcopal diocese but there are also online groups. It gives you a firm grounding in moderate-liberal biblical scholarship. You'll learn about the documentary hypothesis and four source theory and much more in terms of Biblical criticism.

It's a four year course and. in the US, a credit course I think. My minister said it's more intensive and deeper then what he got at the local college of theology. It's challenging intellectual, spiritually and offers some great fellowship. I thin it would be right up your alley actually.

I'm just seconding the EfM recommendation/ You might be able to find a local group through your local Episcopal diocese but there are also online groups. It gives you a firm grounding in moderate-liberal biblical scholarship. You'll learn about the documentary hypothesis and four source theory and much more in terms of Biblical criticism.

It's a four year course and. in the US, a credit course I think. My minister said it's more intensive and deeper then what he got at the local college of theology. It's challenging intellectual, spiritually and offers some great fellowship. I thin it would be right up your alley actually.

Thanks. I may check it out. :) I studied the bold, as a student, last term.