Menu

Dis/Advantages of having schoolroom upstairs? Considering moving ours.

Our schoolroom is currently in our (tiny) downstairs dining room. Bookcases line all the walls making it even tinier. Dh wants me to considering moving it upstairs into our (very large) playroom. I need to "think out loud" here and get some feedback.

My thoughts about moving upstairs:

1. I am nervous about feeling "stuck" upstairs. Ds10 is extremely hard to focus and if/when I came downstairs to make lunch, throw laundry into the dryer, etc... he would be off-task immediately. I would feel like I need to stay upstairs and that makes me feel a bit stir-crazy just thinking about it. That brings up a whole other issue about maybe I need to be 100% focused on them during school hours and not trying to do other things???

2. Now the boys hardly use their playroom at all. They prefer to be downstairs with us. BUT in a few years when we have pre-teens I would imagine they would prefer to use that space as big kid hang out. I have always said that I want to have the home where all the kids come. This is the room I always imagined this happening in - a pool table, tv, comfy couch and so on...I am not sure I want to lose that.

3. Currently I go upstairs only twice daily. It's the kids' domain. I am up there to wake them up and get our day started and at night to wind up the day with them. :001_smile: Being up there all day I am worried I would feel...disconnected. I don't know if I can explain that.

4. In our current schoolroom, I can move around the whole downstairs and not be more than a minute or two away from the boys when I need to check on them. Our home is pretty open so I can see the boys easily from several places. I am a big believer in being with my kids the majority of the time while schooling, especially when they are young BUT I do step away to get snacks, change laundry and do other quick chores. :o

5. Now I can clean breakfast, prepare lunch and prep dinner without ever leaving the boys alone.

6. Currently I separate the boys to school - 1 in schoolroom (typically ds10) and the youngers and I will sit at a picnic table in the kitchen to do their work. Even though we have lots of space upstairs I don't know if ds10 can work with us right there in the room with him...even with noise cancelling headphones and turned away (yes, he is that ADHD).

Advantages to moving upstairs:

1. More room - the playroom is at least 4-5 times bigger than our current space.

2. Maybe we would all get done more quickly if we had more of a space where we went to do school? It would possibly keep us more focused being up there. We get plenty of distractions downstairs from UPS deliveries to the garbage men to who knows what ;)

Anyone want to enter into my inner dialogue? :D

I always like looking for a third alternative.

What if you moved your fun/den/living room (ours is the "TV" room, but ymmv) to the playroom upstairs, and make the current living room into your school room? You'd have a bigger space, still be able to use the kitchen for a schooling space, and still have your other child nearby. You could make the larger space a little less school-y, so you'd still have room for a couch and so on, but change some of it to school stuff.

What do you think?

Unless you're too cramped where you are, stay put. Our school room is upstairs. I brainstorm how to get it down, but there really is no other place for it. It's irritating being up there, for al the reasons you listed. Plus, being in a kid-centric area, I lack the control I need during non-school hours. The room is constantly being trashed. It's hard to start school on the right foot when tou find the room covered in toys and craft scraps.

I actually have a classroom on the 2nd floor now, but I have been rethinking that for pretty much all the same reasons you posted as cons. I do like the ideal of a classroom that is seperate from our everyday living area, but then I find that we always end up doing our school work in the living areas anyway. What if you kept all of their school books, games, supplies organized in their playroom, and then had them do school downstairs with you during the day. When they are done with all of there work, they can put all of their school stuff away. You could also do art/crafts, educational games, etc. throughout the day in the playroom when you have time to devout to just being upstairs. Just a thought.

I have mine upstairs and I really like it. It keeps it free from the kids when we are not in school (so it stays clean, usually :)). I also like it because I don't have to look at all my cool maps, posters, spelling rules when we are not in school. It is are classroom, not our classroom, dining room, walk through, etc...

I always like looking for a third alternative.

What if you moved your fun/den/living room (ours is the "TV" room, but ymmv) to the playroom upstairs, and make the current living room into your school room? You'd have a bigger space, still be able to use the kitchen for a schooling space, and still have your other child nearby. You could make the larger space a little less school-y, so you'd still have room for a couch and so on, but change some of it to school stuff.

What do you think?

Love out of the box thinking; that is so not my forte. ;) We really use and enjoy our main living room. It is even larger than the playroom and fills up the majority of our downstairs. We love to have families over for dinner and visiting time and our living room is where all this happens. It connects to our kitchen and forms a "great room". It is the heart of our family life.

Unless you're too cramped where you are, stay put. Our school room is upstairs. I brainstorm how to get it down, but there really is no other place for it. It's irritating being up there, for all the reasons you listed. Plus, being in a kid-centric area, I lack the control I need during non-school hours. The room is constantly being trashed. It's hard to start school on the right foot when you find the room covered in toys and craft scraps.

While the idea of having one of those nice, huge, organized schoolrooms appeals to me, on a practical level, I would feel the same as you do... Cooped up. I need to have acces to the main areas of my house.

I actually have a classroom on the 2nd floor now, but I have been rethinking that for pretty much all the same reasons you posted as cons. I do like the ideal of a classroom that is seperate from our everyday living area, but then I find that we always end up doing our school work in the living areas anyway. What if you kept all of their school books, games, supplies organized in their playroom, and then had them do school downstairs with you during the day. When they are done with all of there work, they can put all of their school stuff away. You could also do art/crafts, educational games, etc. throughout the day in the playroom when you have time to devout to just being upstairs. Just a thought.

Okay, this makes me feel sooo much better. I think I needed to feel validated. I was wondering if I would get lots of responses along the lines of, "You really need to unplug from the rest of the house to have a successful homeschool day." :tongue_smilie:

I think I would move all the bookcases and school storage stuff upstairs. You probably don't use everything on those shelves every day anyway. Keep current schoolwork in tub in a credenza in your dining room, so the furniture looks like it belongs, or in a kitchen cabinet, or upstairs and have your dc bring it down for daily work, then take it upstairs when finished. That way you have more space downstairs for life, and can decide where to do the daily lessons. You may find that some of your time you want to be upstairs, but you can easily still be downstairs if you want to be there.

I am really struggling with this too. We have a 450 SF "family room" upstairs. Part is DH's hobby stuff, there is a TV, Wii and computer for family use, and then all of our school stuff is displayed and stored up there. We have a table to work at and there is a bathroom.

BUT, I feel so cut off up there and it is hard with the toddler. He can go up and down the stairs now, but I think he feels disconnected from his toys and the ability to roam, so he gets extra fussy and destructive. We can't really snack up there so have to stop and interrupt flow to get a snack - which the 4yo seems to want to do every 15 minutes. Not that he is schooling much, but it is still an interruption. So mostly we have been doing school in the breakfast nook.

BUT since the 2yo is joining us more and more now the table is too small and I am constantly carrying baskets of books and art supplies up and down the stairs (or more likely making a big stack at the bottom :glare:) or a huge pile ends up on the bar.

I am thinking of giving the upstairs one more good try. If it doesn't seem to work with a few well-thought-out changes (addressing toddler activities and snacks) then I think I am going to move things to the dining table we never use and try to adapt that area which is right next to the kitchen. I may move a bookcase in there for most used items, co-op the drawers from the china cabinet, and get one of those big desk organizers from Staples that can be moved if company is coming.

But really I would love to make the upstairs work. I feel your pain. :D

What will happen is you will have two school rooms plus still use the kitchen table for science, art, and other stuff. :tongue_smilie:

I did exactly what you are talking about. We had a little school room in our dining room. Moved upstairs to the large bonus room. So, now the small room downstairs is used as home school storage.

I've homeschooled in SIX houses.....man that sounds crazy when I see it in writing. Anyhoo, two of those houses the HSing room was upstairs.

The first time, it wasn't that bad. We actually used the master bedroom as the HSing room (never really got the point of having this HUGE master bedroom that we use for sleeping). I was really only HSing the oldest DS at that point, but it worked because the laundry room was right there upstairs, and the huge "loft" area that we used as the play room was right there. So while DS and I did schoolwork, two younger DS's played with toys, came in and out as needed, I could hear them, etc. By the time it came to lunch, or downstairs work, we were usually done with schooling then.

A few houses later, we used the finished room over the garage as our HS room. It was a lovely large room. It was also very segregated for the rest of the house. Play room was actually the formal living room at the bottom of the stairs. I could just barely hear them. It was a CON for all of the reasons that you have listed. Leaving the room to do a quick errand/chore means I have no visual or hearing of what is going on in the school room. Being in the school room means I have very little visual or hearing if anyone is going downstairs, etc.

I would suggest that you think creatively about your rooms and what they are designated as. I mean, the builder designated this as the "formal living room" and "Formal dining room" and this room has to be the "master bedroom" etc. But you don't HAVE to use those rooms that way.

I've used a formal dining room in a old restored bungalow, a designated "office" room; a upstairs master bedroom, a office room with no door or maybe it was meant to be a formal living room..not sure on this...., a FROG and now back to the formal living room...all HSing rooms for us.

My thought is that we are a HSing family, and that is a HUGE part of our life, so if that means we use the room that others use formally, or sleep in but we 've repurposed it, so be it. There will be a time in my life when I have a formal dining space, and perhaps then I'll formally dine. Until then, we just eat.

I've never had an upstairs school room, but in our last house we had our school room in the lower level and had many of the same issues that you are worried about. I didn't like being separated from the main living area. Snacks and lunch were hard to prep, so we definitely lost time because of that.

I think it's perfectly acceptable to step out to do small chores during the school day, as long as they are short. This is much easier to do when you are on the main level. In our current house we are in the dining room adjacent to the kitchen, and I love it, even though we have a huge lower level with lots of light(it's an atrium) that would give us more space.

I understand the distractability issue as my ds is ADHD, too. That was definitely a problem when we were in the lower level, and I had to leave.

There will be a time in my life when I have a formal dining space, and perhaps then I'll formally dine. Until then, we just eat

:iagree:

I kept thinking we would use it, but now I wonder if we ever will. I wish I could just suck that space into the kitchen and have an area for a big table and a closet for homeschool supplies. That would be perfect.

If you do it. . .

you could . . .

1) Have in mind/scheduled some downstairs-at-the-dining-table tasks for your child who is hard to keep on task. Assign those tasks for the times you want to be down there to cook, etc. Perhaps reading or other easily moved independent work. (Spelling workbook, reading, etc.)

2) Have a comfy couch and TV in the playroom-now-schoolroom. You'll love having the comfy couch for reading and other schooling, and you can use it for your own relaxation, laptop browsing, etc that you might want to do while the kids are schooling. The TV/DVD will be useful at some point for schooling, and can be used during non-school hours for recreation.

3) The pool table, etc can come later. If the room is large enough, you might well have room for that as well.

4) Be sure to have computer setups for the kids and for YOU so you can do your computer stuff while they are schooling.

I have to agree with Samiam. We use our formal dining room as a school room. I am in the middle of changing things up to really reflect the best possible usage of space. Our DR table and chairs have been in storage for over 2 years already. Now, I am waiting to move the hutch glass cabinet upstairs to my room (it is beautiful but just not school room friendly..why shouldn't I enjoy it?). My DH is hesitant because it will be a huge hassle to move it up there. I have the same thought though...we are a homeschooling family. Our house and lifestyle will reflect that. When the table was set up, we used it less than 5 times. That was over a period of several years. My sister is still aghast that we moved it. She thinks we should not have a school room but rather just school where the mood takes us. Not so easy when you are trying to teach more than one child at a time. But, enough about me!

Here is what I have done so far with an average sized DR:

1. Two sets of commercial sized shelving (48wx72hx18d). They are sturdy and will not tip unless you are actively trying to do that. I paid about $100 each. The shelving is the best thing. I LOVE it. Each unit has 6 shelves. They hold a TON of stuff. One drawback is that they are wire and the wires go front to back so they are not great for bookshelves (unless you stack them on their covers with spines parallel to the floor). There are others of the same style where the wires go left to right. I am not sure if they are as sturdy, but they look good and I have seen them at Target for about $60. LOL but don't tell my husband because I already paid more! argh!!

2. 6ft folding table that can fit 4-6 chairs around it. about $40 at home depot.

3. My desk which has a mini hutch for our current books and my computer.

4. small file cabinet with the printer on it. (I am considering taking another small file cabinet and stacking it on this one...this one is a bit

deeper so no worry about tipping).

5. To make the room more open/less crowded: See mention of the hutch above and I got rid of a commercial desk that could only seat 1 child (free on craigslist) and also another desk that also could also only seat 1 child (also free). <<<<< So, if $$ is tight...check out freecycle and craigslist. there are plenty of people getting rid of stuff all the time. especially old offices (that is where we got some chairs (6), 2 desks, 2 file cabinets, bunches of binders <heavy duty ones>). Sometimes getting rid of stuff to make room for things that are more useful is hard but worth it (if there is a budget for it).

Sorry to be so run on! I hope my ideas help.

Best of Luck!

LMK

PS I forgot to mention, I agree with not moving it upstairs. I like to do stuff at times during school hours, but this is only possible because we are on the main floor. If I was upstairs and had to come downstairs, they would not stay on task.

• 1 month later...

I have a choice right now to turn our home office into a homeschool space or an empty upstairs bedroom. The bedroom is slightly larger, brighter and has the benefit of a large closet. The den is downstairs, not so bright since the porch is in front of it and darkly paneled. I'd have to do make an effort to minimize the clutter since its in the center of the house and the most direct path to the kitchen from the front door. As in people will walk in the foyer and BAM okay homeschooler lives here lol

I have a few months to decide still, but I'm pretty sure we're going to have the homeschool space downstairs. I do a lot of cooking/baking from scatch and we use the living room as our main family space. Its also much colder upstairs in the fall/winter since we use a pellet stove. I hate the idea of feeling isolated upstairs. Our house is a big colonial so I wouldn't be able to hear what was going on in that room if I were downstairs working in the kitchen.

We have a schoolroom set up in our upstairs loft. It really doesn't get used much, other than to store stuff (right now, this means that things are just thrown in there), and the first two weeks of the school year or so when the dc decide that they want a more structured school day. By 2-3 weeks in, we've migrated down to the family room, where they can spread out on the sectional couch or the floor, I have a comfy recliner, or they'll be in the connecting kitchen or library (formal living room, but we've got it lined with bookshelves) -- there's a comfy corner with big pillows and a cushy loveseat in there. The schoolroom computers aren't internet connected, and that's becoming more of a barrier to my dc who are doing high school and college level work -- downsatirs, they're closer to dh's home office and internet access.

1. More room - the playroom is at least 4-5 times bigger than our current space.

2. Maybe we would all get done more quickly if we had more of a space where we went to do school? It would possibly keep us more focused being up there. We get plenty of distractions downstairs from UPS deliveries to the garbage men to who knows what ;)

3. When the kids get a question wrong, you could kick them down the stairs, currently not an option. (I'm not recommending this, just noting the possibility.)

Here are my thoughts:

Our schoolroom is currently in our (tiny) downstairs dining room. Bookcases line all the walls making it even tinier. Dh wants me to considering moving it upstairs into our (very large) playroom. I need to "think out loud" here and get some feedback.

My thoughts about moving upstairs:

1. I am nervous about feeling "stuck" upstairs. Ds10 is extremely hard to focus and if/when I came downstairs to make lunch, throw laundry into the dryer, etc... he would be off-task immediately. I would feel like I need to stay upstairs and that makes me feel a bit stir-crazy just thinking about it. That brings up a whole other issue about maybe I need to be 100% focused on them during school hours and not trying to do other things???

Well, all of us do things differently--the beauty of homeschooling, as "they" say--but for me, it's best to be 100% focused on schooling from 8:30 AM- 2:00 PM every day.

2. Now the boys hardly use their playroom at all. They prefer to be downstairs with us. BUT in a few years when we have pre-teens I would imagine they would prefer to use that space as big kid hang out. I have always said that I want to have the home where all the kids come. This is the room I always imagined this happening in - a pool table, tv, comfy couch and so on...I am not sure I want to lose that.

This is a tough one, but I think if I were in your situation, I would go ahead and make the change because the playroom is a great space that isn't really being used right now, and you still have at least a few years to go, so you can "cross that bridge when you come to it".

3. Currently I go upstairs only twice daily. It's the kids' domain. I am

up there to wake them up and get our day started and at night to wind up the day with them. :001_smile: Being up there all day I am worried I would feel...disconnected. I don't know if I can explain that.

This is really about the same as number 1. To me, being away from the main flow of the house would be an added benefit, rather than a negative, because I love the idea of having school in a separate space. I like being able to separate home and school. Otherwise, I feel like I never get to go "home" from "work"--there's always something to grade or prepare for the next day. :(

4. In our current schoolroom, I can move around the whole downstairs and not be more than a minute or two away from the boys when I need to check on them. Our home is pretty open so I can see the boys easily from several places. I am a big believer in being with my kids the majority of the time while schooling, especially when they are young BUT I do step away to get snacks, change laundry and do other quick chores. :o

5. Now I can clean breakfast, prepare lunch and prep dinner without ever leaving the boys alone.

I also see numbers 4 & 5 as essentially the same as numbers 1 & 3.

6. Currently I separate the boys to school - 1 in schoolroom (typically ds10) and the youngers and I will sit at a picnic table in the kitchen to do their work. Even though we have lots of space upstairs I don't know if ds10 can work with us right there in the room with him...even with noise cancelling headphones and turned away (yes, he is that ADHD).

If it were me, I'd at least give it a try. I suspect your older ds might actually do better upstairs since there would be fewer distractions from the things you mention below in number 2.

For me, it would be a no-brainer, but ultimately, you have to do what is best for YOU.

Anyone want to enter into my inner dialogue? :D

Stay put, maybe moving just the bookcases. My DS11 is like your oldest - I can't leave him but a few minutes and I want to be able to do dishes, laundry, etc. while we school.

Could you move part of the downstairs living area up? Maybe tv and some chairs, adding a small desk/table to the living area?