Menu

What are my options for 7th grade science beyond Apologia?

Are there any other options for science for 7th grade beyond Apologia general sceicne? It is not a winner so far with us.

eta--I guess I just figured we had to do general science for 7th grade. We want something christian based. Apologia general science just seems so dry. She is not a huge fan of science anyway. I really wanted to find something fun and interesting but also don't have a $200 to spend.

Edited by heidip2p

I think it depends on why Apologia wasn't a hit. Did your dc want more detail? Less detail? More pictures? More repetition to solidify concepts?

I would say that BJU is more difficult than Apologia because it covers things in more detail, but it is an excellent program. Rainbow is a more gentle approach that is good on concepts and is more entertaining, but it doesn't explain the details as clearly as Apologia or BJU. For middle school, I think a nice balance is the Prentice Hall Science Explorer series. Initially, I disliked it - too dry - but we've gone back to it to solify details covered lightly or missed altogether in Rainbow. It's secular, of course, so if you want a Christian program, I think the most comparable would be the BJU.

Are there any other options for science for 7th grade beyond Apologia general sceicne? It is not a winner so far with us.

eta--I guess I just figured we had to do general science for 7th grade. We want something christian based. Apologia general science just seems so dry. She is not a huge fan of science anyway. I really wanted to find something fun and interesting but also don't have a $200 to spend.

Then what you're describing is Prentice Hall Science Explorer. Or read topical books from the library and do labs, TOPs, and other things you like. Nothing says you have to do general science. It's just a mishmash of things anyway, along with learning how to read a textbook, how to study, how to write about your labs.

Have you seen the free middle school chemistry? http://www.middleschoolchemistry.com

Then what you're describing is Prentice Hall Science Explorer. Or read topical books from the library and do labs, TOPs, and other things you like. Nothing says you have to do general science. It's just a mishmash of things anyway, along with learning how to read a textbook, how to study, how to write about your labs.

Have you seen the free middle school chemistry? www.middleschoolchemistry.com

Elizabeth you always seem to come through! This looks great!

In addition to the individual topic science explorer series, Pearson also has three integrated Science Explorer books for 6-8th grade. I haven't used them, but I thought they looked interesting.

My kids do individual topics for 7th and 8th (BJU Life and PH Physical). Public schools here do individual topics starting in 6th (life, earth, physical)

Just wanted to say, I was so excited about this, that we did the first lesson today. What a hit! Even dd8 joined in and totally got it. It was so easy to teach and prepare for. I hope the rest of the lesson are just as good.

We want something christian based.

She is not a huge fan of science anyway.

I really wanted to find something fun and interesting but also don't have a $200 to spend.

I'm a huge fan of BJU science, but it's pretty rigorous. My next "go-to" science is Rainbow, but it's pricey.

Based on your criteria (Christian, not-too-heavy and reasonably priced) I'd suggest ABeka 7 General Science called "Science, Order & Reality." It's a beautiful textbook with lots of gorgeous photographs and drawings. The topics provide a solid, general intro for middle school (ie: weather, chemistry, life science, etc..). You can find used copies for cheap on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_3_13?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=science+order+and+reality+a+beka&x=0&y=0&sprefix=science+order

If you want to do Life Science in 7th, then Shepard might be a good option, but I haven't used it.

:iagree:

I think that general science sounds like hogwash as well. Who needs that anyway? LOL.

What about Abeka, RS4K, or Winter Promise?

Good luck!

If you can't find anything different that fits, or just don't have the money for it, maybe you can add a little to the Apologia General. I occasionally add things to make it more fun as I find ideas online.

We also do the experiments with other kids, which makes it even more fun for all of them. :)

Here is what we have been doing:

http://martysahm.blogspot.com/search/label/*Apologia%20General%20Science

(posting M8 soon - Love the "Try a bit of trilobite" that a fellow hs'er suggested!)

In each post is a link to the videos we watch.

The GS tab is at the top with links to other resources, some of which you may already know.

ETA: I just realized there was a second page to this thread, and that you'd already decided on something. lol.

Edited by Marty

If you can't find anything different that fits, or just don't have the money for it, maybe you can add a little to the Apologia General. I occasionally add things to make it more fun as I find ideas online.

We also do the experiments with other kids, which makes it even more fun for all of them. :)

Here is what we have been doing:

http://martysahm.blogspot.com/search/label/*Apologia%20General%20Science

(posting M8 soon - Love the "Try a bit of trilobite" that a fellow hs'er suggested!)

In each post is a link to the videos we watch.

The GS tab is at the top with links to other resources, some of which you may already know.

ETA: I just realized there was a second page to this thread, and that you'd already decided on something. lol.

After reading your blog it makes me think we should just stick with Apologia for now. Your posts are awesome!!!!!!