Menu

How to make OPGTR more...fun?

momsuz123

I'm right there with you! My daughter was responding really well to Phonics Pathways (which I checked out from the library) but I decided to switch to OPGTR and she started to HATE reading. I did buy Happy Phonics and she loves those games. That could be a fun supplement, maybe a "reward" for getting through the OPGTR lesson.

We honestly haven't picked up OPGTR in a long time. We've just been working from ETC, Progressive Phonics (free!), and Happy Phonics. I figure between the three of them, we should cover everything. I'm hanging on to OPGTR as a reference, to make sure we cover all the different phonics rules, but it really didn't fit for my daughter.

I've been looking today for ideas to make it a little more appealing as well. I did come across this thread a little bit ago. I found it by searching on google like this:

site:welltrainedmind.com OPGTR fun (or replace fun with activities).

Maybe someone else will chime in with their OPGTR goodies :bigear:

White board. For my children, the white board is even more fun if they get to pick the color of marker. You just write the words from the book on the board. For fun, you can have them try to spell a few on the white board, give hints, drawing out the sounds, if necessary.

You can also sometimes do my game instead, it's a fun way to reinforce the phonics you're learning:

http://www.thephonicspage.org/On%20Phonics/concentrationgam.html

I agree with the white board solution. My dd hated it until I started putting the words and sentences on the white board for her to erase as she read them. She really couldn't handle seeing all that type on the page and it was small. Looked like an adult book instead of for kids. So the white board really helped. Some of the games in there are fun to adapt for other lessons too. Like writing the words on pieces of 8x11 then jumping on them as you read them.

:iagree:with the white board solution. Also,

- I use two smaller white boards . I'll put the new lesson on one, then leave that on for a day. W/ the other board, I'll put today's lesson on (or night before), but first review the lesson from the first white board. That way we have one review that we do first, and it works good.

• I also draw pictures somtimes - it captures my son's attention
  • use a few different colors, like now lots of red & green!

Yay!! You guys saved my bacon with the whiteboard suggestion! DD5 just asked to do *more* OPGTR, for the first time ever!!! She disliked the book so much we had set it aside, and were focusing on Bob books and other phonics readers, but I'm glad to have found a way to get back to the systematic lessons - I bet that becomes an even bigger deal once we get past short vowel sounds.

:party:

Yay!! You guys saved my bacon with the whiteboard suggestion! DD5 just asked to do *more* OPGTR, for the first time ever!!! She disliked the book so much we had set it aside, and were focusing on Bob books and other phonics readers, but I'm glad to have found a way to get back to the systematic lessons - I bet that becomes an even bigger deal once we get past short vowel sounds.

We used OPG. I made up different games to play - you can find them at my blog in my siggy below.

Thanks for these! I'm beginning to plan K for next year, and I need something to make OPGTR more fun. It is great for our older girls, just plow through, but our last DD is resistant to anything schoolish.

• 2 months later...

I type faster than I would handwrite on a whiteboard, and so I type out enough lessons/sentences to last for two weeks and print them all out. I add plenty of space between each sentence and then I sit down on the couch with my son and draw pictures for the sentences after he reads them. We have a duplex printer and so we cut down on paper that way.

I'm also finding myself adding notes to the pages as the sounds are getting more difficult and I'm less sure of all the rules.

All these ideas are great but my son is using it to remediate Privste School teaching where he eventually was memorizing the books rather thn reading we use it and called it therapy. He can tolerate the book (being 10 years old). When he is batling with a concept we slow down and use colour markers on a white board and AAS tiles to re-inforce. We are also using AAS to remediate his spelling.

He has Auditory Processing problems and we have been struglbg with speed and accuracy. What I find that really helps is to have him dictate a couple of passages to me when he finishes a lesson.

He gets motivated to read the passages really fast so that I cannot finish writting them and gets a kick out of grading these (reading again) and failing me. I write my 'dictation exercises' on a small white board.

This might be a sóund stupid but it has really helped his speed and accuracy.